Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Dec 20, 2005, 12:11 PM
    Real Player 10.5
    Here's something that constantly bugs me.A few weeks ago,I had the misfortune to have to reinstall Firefox on my reserve pc,the one I use for trying out games,multimedia,and general programs,before I decide whether they are useful to be downloaded onto my main PC.Real Player 10.5 was successfully installed.However,if I go to places such as the BBC site,and try and watch a site news video clip through Firefox,the top line of the browser says "install missing plug-in".You've guessed it,the plug-in is Real Player.How come I would have to uninstall Real Player out of my system,then re-install through the Firefox browser plug-in.I've checked all the settings,such as file type connections in Real Player,and everything seems OK.

This is why I hate the so-called expert tag in my visible profile.:o

Sorry guys if this makes me seem like cannon fodder,but I'm just curious about all this.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2005, 12:24 PM
    I too have had some issues with media player plug-ins not playing nice with FF. It usually seems to be with site that embed the video within the page. As far as RealPlayer goes you can always try uninstalling that bloated thang and install Real Alternative: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm
    Keep an eye on the install process to see if you have plug-in options.

Let me know how it goes.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 20, 2005, 12:28 PM
    Sounds like a bummer.

After some digging I found this:
    Real Player in Firefox

Hopefully this will resolve your issue.

Here's some Extensions that may also help.

Dec 20, 2005, 02:23 PM
    Real Player
    Firstly,uninstalled Real Player 10.5 via the normal route,plus took things into my own hands,and successfully edited the so-called lost,and orphan files out of the registry.Then used Crap Cleaner to do it's job,then rebooted the PC.Followed all the nice links Need,and Ben gave,and tried each set-up separately.Sorry guys,no joy.The stupid BBC site refuses to play ball in Firefox.It's the one site I use most,not just for news,but for sport clips.There is no way I am going to use IE.Maybe I should write my own codec?

Thanks for the help.I'm off to phone Steve,to see if he has any advice :D
    BossMan

Dec 20, 2005, 03:06 PM
    Somemore stuff to try:
    http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/firefox-windows.html

Dec 20, 2005, 03:17 PM
    Real Player nil points (say with French accent)
    Useless piece of software.I installed it through Firefox.Now I can hear BBC audio,but video,no-can-do.I even tried another site ZNet,and clicked on a video item there.All it says is Firefox cannot connect to this program.Even trying Windows media player through Firefox at both the BBC,and ZNet,does nothing.Why did I have to meddle when I came home from work.
    I know,I can take this PC down to the local refuse site tomorrow,trash my main PC,and take up golf.

Xmas.Hum bug.:mad:
    BossMan

Dec 20, 2005, 03:29 PM
    Silly question time.

What version of FF are you running and have you tried a different version of Real player ?
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2005, 03:59 PM
    This is why I have to copy/paste stuff into IE sometimes. Wish I didn't have to - I'm going to assume that those sites have some code optimised for IE.

Dec 21, 2005, 03:45 AM
    Firefox
    Using the latest edition.No more updates available,so it says.I'm off to search through my old collection of PC software,to see if I can dig out Real Player 1 :D then if that refuses to play ball,go through the whole sequence.If that fails,I'l either move to Mozilla 1.7.12 (not Firefox),or Opera,which I have used before.Anyhow,will let you know what happens later.
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2005, 05:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    I'm off to search through my old collection of pc software,to see if I can dig out Real Player 1 .
    As requested: http://www.oldversion.com/

Dec 21, 2005, 05:32 AM
    Old Software
    Brilliant.Now I don't have to trash old Mr.PC :D Excellent link Need.Ten out of ten.I will "dabble" with Real Player,and see what happens.Plus whilst I'm at the site,which I've bookmarked by the way,I'l see if there's anything else which brings back the memories.

Dec 21, 2005, 06:21 AM
    Real Player
    Firefox would do zip,so I've installed Mozilla 1.7.12,the full works,browser,mail and newsgroups,composer,and address book.The BBC site,and ZNet,are both working fine with Real Player.I'm going to quit whilst I'm ahead.Thanks for all the help and links :)
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2005, 06:34 AM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dvd player [ 3 Answers ]

I've got a silly question : is it possible to play a regular cd on a dvd-player ? Are there any dangers doing this ? Is it convenient or should I rather stay on playing it on a cd-player ? I am asking this because I am thinking of buying a dvd player and I do not know if I have to keep my cd-player...

Mp3 Player [ 4 Answers ]

Anyone Have Any Thoughts On Mp3 Players? Other Than An I-pod Which Is Just Too Much Money... any Suggestions? Thanks

I'm a new player [ 2 Answers ]

How do you protect yourself in sports? My right wrist achs a little after last weekend's execise. Maybe new players are always easy to get hurt:) So how do you protect yourself in sports? Is it useful to wear some kind of wristband? I find the cotton one costs only $0.92 and looks very nice....

Player Positions [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know where I can go on the internet to get an explanation of what each position on the team is supposed to do and the names of each of the position. Sorry, but when I am watching a game, I would like to know what each particular player does.

Real player [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any player --free- Which can play real media and avi files

View more questions Search