Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 26, 2005, 05:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    AAAAAAAACCCCCHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!:cool: :eek: :rolleyes: ;)nose had a spasm!
    Gesundheit! My brother was allergic to cats too, but my Larry has a special or non-exhistant oil on him that cured my brother.. he used to look like a strawberry before Larry cured him. Hope you had a wonderful xmas!
    jawad_babar Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Dec 26, 2005, 05:12 AM
    Massage with olive oil
    Hi,
    Do warm up, you can take a hot bath and an exercise that makes the muscle warm and then massage it with oil. Preferably olive oil, its really good for muscles.
    I am sure this will help. I always do it whenever I have muscle spasms.
    Thanks.
    carmansci Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 03:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nymphetamine
    Im not sure if this is the right place to put this. Can anyone tell me what I can do to stop muscle spasms? I dont want to spend any money on expensive prescriptions so if there is any alternative please let me know. I was not able to sleep with this muscle keeps clenching up and it hurts after a few minutes of that going on. I take some asprin and it helps pain a little but not other problem and I have not done anything that should cause these problems that I know of. If anyone can assist me I would be glad. Thank you.
    The Treatment of Neuro-muscular Spasm in Multiple Sclerosis
    One of the most common symptoms occurring in MS is neuro-muscular spasm. This troublesome symptom may be of two types, either tonic or clonic spasm.

Tonic spasm is when the resting muscle tone is abnormally increased. This is often simply apparent as stiffness, when the limb appears rigid and difficult to move despite the absence of absolute paralysis.

Clonic spasm: this is perhaps the most distressing of the two forms as the affected limb or muscle may jerk violently without warning, causing the individual to lose balance and perhaps fall.

The conventional means of treating these symptoms is with drugs including such as Baclofen or Zanaflex. The main penalty of the use of these drugs is the side-effect of sometimes extreme muscle weakness. Zanaflex is also quite toxic and can cause liver damage with the sustained use of high doses.

Other methods, utilising nutritional supplements are also available. Although these are often less reliable and unpredictable and, it must be admitted, sometimes totally ineffective, they are harmless, and may be taken, at the advised doses, without risk or penalty.

Calcium and Magnesium: These minerals are both essential to the normal function of muscles, not only in providing the function of muscle contraction but also in maintaining an appropriate level of muscle tone during periods of relaxation. The occurrence of muscle cramp, due to spasm, is well known to be associated with calcium deficiency. The normal therapeutic daily dose is, at least, calcium 1000mg and magnesium 500mg. These are best taken at night because calcium levels tend to fall most significantly during sleep when muscle cramp is most likely to occur.

Gamma amino butyric acid (GABA): is a natural amino acid, which, at therapeutic doses, is able to stimulate the production of growth hormone. Growth hormone is normally produced throughout life and is necessary for any process of regeneration and repair. When first tested it was anticipated that this would stimulate the regeneration of myelin. This may well be so but so far, the process remains unproved. Its use however was found, in some, to dramatically reduce the incidence of pain and spasm, thus improving mobility and increasing comfort at rest.

Threonine: an amino acid, which, it is suggested, may reduce spasm in some individuals. The necessary dose is one gramme taken twice daily. Amino acids must be taken on an empty stomach for maximal benefit.

Niacin (Vitamin B3): This vitamin is also found to be effective in some individuals. The necessary dose is 500 mg taken three times daily with food. It must be taken with a daily dose of vitamin B complex to be fully effective. Vitamin B complex is considered to be an essential routine vitamin for use in the treatment of MS. Niacin may cause uncomfortable skin flushing in some individuals. A non-flush preparation is however available but is more expensive than the basic vitamin.

Methyl-sulphonyl-methane (MSM): a natural sulphur-containing compound, commonly used in the treatment of arthritis, when it is effective in facilitating the regeneration of joint cartilage and other connective tissues of the body. In MS, it is suggested to be effective in restoring the integrity of the blood-brain barrier, thus reducing the invasion of CD4 T-cells into the brain and diminishing the process of auto-immune attack. The substance also appears to be effective in reducing the incidence of muscle spasm. The appropriate dose is one or two grammes each day.

Anthocyanidins: taken in sufficient dosage (approximately 250mg/day, or more) these too appear to be helpful in reducing muscle spasm and so restoring mobility.
    ClassyCat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2008, 12:30 PM
    One thing you can use for pain, or as a "natural" anti-inflamitory, is tumeric capsules. You can get them at any health food store, or on the net. They work great for me for muscle cramps, headaches, etc.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 4, 2008, 03:10 PM
    Classycat and carmansci.....

First, welcome to AMHD.

Second... have you noticed that you just wasted time on a thread that was last posted on on 26 December 2005?

It happens to most of us when we just join... but please check the dates from now on so that we can all stay current.

Enjoy your stay with us.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car trouble [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1988 hyundai pony with a problem... Every now and then I'll be driving along when suddenly it will start to "choke" and stall - as if it's got something in it's throat. It sounds and feels like one of the jets in the carb is blocking up as it only "chokes" on lower revs. If I leave...

How to exercise my PC muscles ? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 28 years male married for 6 years... I want to exercise my PC muscles but the problem I can not separate my PC muscles from my anus I tried Kegel but he same problem when I squeeze my PC I squeeze my anus... Are there any other exercises that I can use for this subject maybe in gym or in...

Query about Cadaveric spasm [ 2 Answers ]

After a body suffers Cadaveric spasm, does it experience the same fate then-on as the fate a normal body suffers after 12 hours?

How to exercise my PC muscles ? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 28 years male married for 6 years... I want to exercise my PC muscles but the problem I can not separate my PC muscles from my anus I tried Kegel but he same problem when I squeeze my PC I squeeze my anus... Are there any other exercises that I can use for this subject maybe in gym or in...

View more questions Search