Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lobrobster Posts: 208, Reputation: 26

Dec 14, 2007, 12:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    Some Christians say there is a literal hell,
    I understand that the bible can be interpreted in many different ways, and that's what I'm trying to get at (my motive for this question is not evil like some insist it is).

I just want to know that if someone who's interpretation is that there is a real heaven and hell that we all go to when we die, if that person is wrong to try and ensure a loved one going to heaven. This seems perfectly reasonable to me given such an interpretation. In fact, it would seem unreasonable and downright selfish for a loving parent to do anything else!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2007, 12:39 PM
    Maybe this will help answer whatever it is you are getting at
    But it is written from a pro-life anti abortion perspective mostly'

Circle of Prayer - The Sanctity of Life
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 14, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lobrobster
    I just want to know that if someone who's interpretation is that there is a real heaven and hell that we all go to when we die, if that person is wrong to try and ensure a loved one going to heaven.
    If a person kills an innocent child because he/she wants to ensure that child a place is heaven, that person is wrong, and seriously mentally ill if they go through with it.

Yes, it's wrong to kill a child solely on the pretense that the child will go to heaven.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 14, 2007, 12:49 PM
    I understand that the bible can be interpreted in many different ways
    A poem can be interpreted in many different ways, but that does not mean it's what the author intended.

The Bible can also be interpreted in many different ways, but that does not mean it's what God wants. Many verses are interpreted out of context, i.e. apart from the verses surrounding them that help in their comprehension. The historical and cultural contexts are also important in understanding the Bible.

The NT says women are to be silent in the church. Of course, that verse has opened up all sorts of problems for Christians. Again, context is needed to understand what St. Paul meant--and total understanding still may be missing.

Just because I might believe women are not to utter a sound while in church doesn't mean it's true, just like your example of the mother who kills her kids. The Bible also says, "Thou shalt not kill."

Dec 14, 2007, 01:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Look, Rob, why don't you tell us what you want us to say......

You want us to justify killing innocent children?
    I want you to justify why it shouldn't be done given a specific interpretation of the bible. And not only have you failed to do so, you can't even manage to stay on point. You find it more convenient to muddy the waters by bringing up completely unrelated topics like mental health issues, etc. Here's why this subject is so important...

You cannot fault somebody else for following through on their unsubstantiated interpretations, just because they don't agree with your own unsubstantiated interpretations (or because you're just not as willing to follow through on them as they are).

So I want to find out if: Is a mother who kills her child, or a man who flies a plane into a building, or another who chops off a person's head for apostacy, are they really acting in a more noble manner than someone who is liberal in their beliefs? At least they (the fundamentalists), are FIRM enough in their beliefs and convictions that they are willing to see them through to the ultimate conclusion. In a way, I respect that more than I do someone who says they belief such and such, yet doesn't live as if they do.

Dec 14, 2007, 01:05 PM
    The Bible can also be interpreted in many different ways, but that does not mean it's what God wants.
    Thanks wondergirl, and I know you're trying to be helpful and answer my question. I'm not for a minute saying that God would want a mother to kill her child. Not at all. I'm merely asking if she were to do so, would that guarantee this child's eternal fate according to some interpretations of the bible? And if so, what logical reason can we provide to stop her from doint so?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 14, 2007, 01:05 PM
    At least they (the fundamentalists), are FIRM enough in their beliefs and convictions that they are willing to see them through to the ultimate conclusion.
    And firmness of belief is a GOOD thing, no matter what the belief?
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2007, 01:08 PM
    AS wondergirl said anybody can interpret the Bible anyway they want but ONLY God has absolute truth and some come close to having it right BUT killing your kids so they automatically go to heaven is far from the Bible taken as a whole teaching.
    You might try asking on the Jewish Board. I believe ETWolverine might be able to give you a good answer to the sanctity to life question better. Of course it would be better to give the question from a Jewish mother instead if you do.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 14, 2007, 01:08 PM
    Thanks wondergirl, and I know you're trying to be helpful and answer my question. I'm not for a minute saying that God would want a mother to kill her child. Not at all. I'm merely asking if she were to do so, would that guarantee this child's eternal fate according to some interpretations of the bible? And if so, what logical reason can we provide to stop her from doint so?
    You're welcome.

If the interpretation is incorrect, her "efforts" would be worthless. The Bible has to be interpreted as a whole. It also says, as I mentioned in an earlier post, don't kill.

I suspect logic would not be what she is looking for, so any logical reason would be outside of her experience and reasoning. Logic would not stop her.

Dec 14, 2007, 01:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    If a person kills an innocent child because he/she wants to ensure that child a place is heaven, that person is wrong, and seriously mentally ill if they go through with it.

Yes, it's wrong to kill a child solely on the pretense that the child will go to heaven.
    This one is MY fault. Sorry. I KNOW that person is wrong. My question is, what should stop them if it will save their loved one's soul?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 14, 2007, 01:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    Of course it would be better to give the question from a Jewish mother instead if you do.
    You are just as cute as ever! ET would love it!
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2007, 01:12 PM
    I think we have explained it well but then they say Mozart, or was it Beethovan,:D :D couldn't TEACH music !:D
    mafiaangel180 Posts: 629, Reputation: 103

Dec 14, 2007, 01:14 PM
    You keep using the word logic. If religion is about believing in an unseen anything, than that really isn't logical to begin with is it? So we are dealing with a woman's personal belief. There's no real logic in that. Heaven and hell aren't tangible.

Plus this woman only assumes that her children are good little kiddies. But how does she know that little Johnny doesn't play doctor with his sister? The woman is in fault because she claims to know the religious minds of her own children.

If all of this was tangible, and not based off a subjective belief. She might have a case. But then again... if she claims to be a good Christian woman, she would know that humans have free will. And she is taking that away from her children by killing them. She isn't just committing a religious sin. She is breaking a law of man.

Dec 14, 2007, 01:14 PM
    And firmness of belief is a GOOD thing, no matter what the belief?
    I didn't say it was a good thing... I said it was noble.

Say what you want about those hijackers on 9/11. What they did was insanely hideously and wrong. But they certainly were not cowards! They were acting in firm conviction of their beliefs. And I see this mother in the same way... If one REALLY believes their child will face an eternal heaven and hell. How can it be anything but a noble act to sacrifice her soul for that of her children?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 14, 2007, 01:19 PM
    Yes, you did. What's the difference between "good" and "noble"?

Originally Posted by lobrobster
    At least they (the fundamentalists), are FIRM enough in their beliefs and convictions that they are willing to see them through to the ultimate conclusion.

You aren't reading the very reasonable responses you are being given. Or aren't thinking about them.

Dec 14, 2007, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mafiaangel180
    Plus this woman only assumes that her children are good little kiddies. But how does she know that little Johnny doesn't play doctor with his sister? The woman is in fault because she claims to know the religious minds of her own children.
    So far, I find this to be the first legitimate attempt to answer my question. THANK YOU!

Ok... So she can never be sure about her children's chances of going to heaven. YES! That would be a "legitimate" reason not to carry through.

Yes, you did. What's the difference between "good" and "noble"?

Originally Posted by lobrobster

You aren't reading the very reasonable responses you are being given. Or aren't thinking about them.
    LOL! You quoted me to prove I used the word "good", but didn't quote the part where I actually used the word, "good".? I suppose the two words share some meanings. I meant noble in the "distinguished" sense. I would never say killing a child, or flying planes into building was "good".
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 14, 2007, 01:30 PM
    So, killing a child is noble.

Dec 14, 2007, 02:02 PM
    So, killing a child is noble.
    I think sacrificing your soul to save someone's else's is a noble act. Yes.

It's my understanding that according to Christian beliefs, this life is but a pit stop on the road to eternal glory. If one truly believe this, why would they care about taking a life? (in fact, you might want to notice that this is exactly how people are acting in other parts of the world right now).

Now I don't believe this!. But I'm trying to find out why those that do, have such a problem with such an act. Even if you've prevented a life from reaching the ripe old age of 90, that is completely insignificant when compared to eternity.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 14, 2007, 02:14 PM
    I think sacrificing your soul to save someone's else's is a noble act. Yes.
    No. You didn't answer my question. Killing a child is a noble act?

But I'm trying to find out why those that do, have such a problem with such an act.
    Um, we've told you what we think and believe. Is this question up to five pages yet?

Apparently you want an answer that no one has lucked onto yet.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2007, 02:21 PM
    So far, I find this to be the first legitimate attempt to answer my question. THANK YOU!

Ok... So she can never be sure about her children's chances of going to heaven. YES! That would be a "legitimate" reason not to carry through.
    Well, OK then, there you go. Question answered. Phew! I sure am glad that's over.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Will I ever be loved? [ 6 Answers ]

Will I geta boyfriend anytime soon?

Why Would He Tell Her He Loved Her? [ 5 Answers ]

I need an opinion on something. My husband and I have been through hell and continue to go through hell. For many many reasons, I decided to break it off with him and had no communication with him for several weeks. I accidentally picked up the phone before looking at the caller I.D last week and...

How to get over a loved one? [ 4 Answers ]

How does one get over or TRY getting over someone they love? How do you get over someone that you are so used to having in your life? Like you knew the person you are with right now is in your life for a couple more yrs and ud have to let them go eventually? How do you coop with that without...

How can someone who loved you do this to you. [ 14 Answers ]

It's been about 4 or 5 weeks now since my ex dumped me. I don't need to go into how much I loved her or how much I did for her, I'll skip that part. But basically I've just found out that she has got with another guy. I have no idea who it could be. I'm hurting so much. Me. "Is it true your with...

P.O.A Over a loved one [ 1 Answers ]

When my father was ill in the hospital a couple of years ago, my sister had P.O.A. over him. He is now able to care for himself. Is this P.O.A. still valid? Thank you!

View more questions Search