Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Dec 20, 2005, 07:14 AM
    Best kind of wall paint?
    Howdy,

I am looking for opinions on the best kind of wall paint to buy.

We are re-painting old walls and painting new walls.

I am going to prime everything with a vapor barrier primer from Benjamin Moore (The only latex vapor barrier primer I could find), so that I can get a uniform base coat.

I am going to use a Wagner Paint Crew paint sprayer so that it will be more quick and hopefully provide better coverage.

In the past, we have used Behr and Pratt & Lampert paints and have good luck. We typically paint the walls in a satin finish as they are easier to keep clean (2 young kids)

I was reading about Cermic paints and wondered if anyone has tried them.

Thanks as always for your help.

Dan
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2005, 07:21 AM
    My mum is a pro at interior design and find that paint with a Matt finish is always best. But considering you have kids then a satin finish is quite appropriate.

I don't think my mum has tried ceramic paints - I cannot say I am too familiar with them myself either.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2005, 07:46 AM
    Paint branding has become quite tricky these days. The truth is, many brands are made by one company. Yes, Behr is good - and so are the others.
    Ralph Lauren even has paint nowadays.

The best paint in all of the major players lines - even good old Sherwin Williams - are all going to be very, very close; as far as quality goes.

Proper preparation, including the good primer - along with top of the line paint of a major brand name - is going to leave you thrilled for years.

[This I got from my buddy, a Pittsburgh Paints Regional Manager, earlier this year]
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2005, 08:29 AM
    ''[This I got from my buddy, a Pittsburgh Paints Regional Manager, earlier this year]''

Hummmmm! Somebody that works for a major paint company recommends using a major brand? The first 10 years I was out of school I worked a chemist at a paint company. I was more into automotive and industrial finishes rather than house paint. Still I do know some things in addition to my personal experience.

Several years ago anticipating a move, my wife and I did a bunch of painting. We started with some Sears stuff she bought. The ceiling took 2 coats and avoiding lap marks was tough. Going on to some other rooms, I decided to slap on cheap stuff from Big Lots on. One heavy coat did fine and much easier to work with. We didn't move and years later it looks better than the Sears stuff.

Look at the label. Go with the highest percentage of titanium dioxide or TiO2 you find. In a white or pastel, that usually is the biggest factor in how well it covers. If the label doesn't give the composition, go with a brand with less to hide.

I used a vapor barrier paint on some of my ceilings I thought came from Sherwin William's, but it could have been Benjamin Moore. It appeared to be a pigmented shellac. I left it exposed on the ceiling as a flat white. Did a couple of bathroom ceilings recently and wanted semi gloss. I thought if I had to put another coat on it, I would just use shellac. I could buy a small can of it, and it goes bad if not use up soon. Semi gloss latex doesn't spread right over shellac. I am not sure it sticks right either, but at least ceilings get very little wear and tear.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What kind of pill is this? [ 6 Answers ]

It is a white rounded pill with 93 imprinted on one side and 314 on the other?

Interior Wall&Ceiling Paint ? - suggestions needed for repairs! [ 5 Answers ]

We recently had to do some remodeling in my living room to accommodate an electrical switch, overhead light, and 2 wall sconses. This included a contractor making several holes in my ceiling and walls and repairing the holes with drywall. The drywall looks great, however when he came back to...

What kind of bug is this? [ 4 Answers ]

I have noticed a very small, tiny bug crawling aroung near and around the bottom of my tub and it appears to be coming from a small crack or opening at the bottom of the tile on the wall. It is shaped like a tadpole, or cone. The head is wide and round and narrows as it goes back toward the tail....

What kind of Ivy is this? [ 5 Answers ]

I am having some problems with my ivy plant, but I'm not sure what kind of ivy it is, or if it is even truly ivy at all. Can anyone identify it for me? Also the problem is that it is getting white/tan translucent spots with dark brown edges as well as some leaves have edges that are turning dark...

Kind vs Nice [ 9 Answers ]

I have read women don't like "nice guys", but that being "kind" is OK. Can someone give me a few examples of some situations (think of a good example-situation) and tell me what would a "nice" guy do, and what would a "kind" guy do?

View more questions Search