Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bdfoster31 Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Dec 14, 2007, 02:39 AM
    Low Low Budget Wedding
    So my girlfriend and I have decided to get married. We are both 19 and we've been together for 3 years. We are both strapped on cash, and time as well (she is in the Navy, stationed in Great Lakes), so no honeymoon yet or anything.

I have no idea how we are going to pay for this, and we want to get married in a few months. The timing could not be better but it is just going to be rough trying to pay for everything. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to have a cheap wedding? We don't really want to take out any loans to do any of this because we do not want to go in debt.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2007, 04:44 AM
    A Court House ceremony is definitely low budget. You get your marriage license, make an appointment with the Judge, show up with two witnesses, then there is a brief ceremony and "I do's" and it is done.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Dec 14, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Courthouse is the cheapest way to go, for sure. If you desire to, ask the courthouse how many guests can be in attendance and you could have a few extra people there with you.

You could also rent a public place (like a park, indoor garden) and find a cheap officiant to have the ceremony and begin a reception at the same venue. You could also do something intimate at a family member/friends house.

The best money savers are:
    A small guest list
    No alcohol
    Light menu or simple dessert reception

Sit down with your fiancée and make a list of priorities. What do you want during that day? What will you look back on in 25 years and either regret having or regret not having?
    sd1025 Posts: 98, Reputation: 11

Jan 29, 2008, 03:05 PM
    The cake was the only expensive thing in my whole wedding and the food was catered w\a keg, inlist your family, my brother is a chef, my moms friend married us and I bought my dress on sale for 40$ but the cake was 200$, and public parks are free if you keep it small,
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2008, 03:37 PM
    I have seen the trend towards the potluck wedding receptions. When I first heard it I was aghast at the idea. But for small receptions, with family and intimate friends, this may be a good option.
    cerisa Posts: 247, Reputation: 71

Jan 30, 2008, 05:17 PM
    You have a few months to save little money. What is important to you about the day?
    The Pictures with a white dress and a suit? BORROW them. Or put in an ad in craigs list, or RENT them. The guests, the location? The food? Outdoors is great in warmer months, a park will do. Or a favorite location. The cake does not have to cost $200.000, an ordinary birthday cake, 10" with a 6" birthday cake on top will cost way way less, just have them decorated with your choice of color. I have done this, this is enough cake for about 30 guests. Food does not have to be costly to be good. Actually just think party food and you will find what you want at what you can afford. Reception could even be at a small family restaurant, reservations, with guests paying their own way...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 06:16 PM
    I marry a lot of people at theme weddings at their home or a home of a friend, we did a beach wedding around the swimming pool, or a south sea ( don't want to remember the mother of the bride in a grass skirt)

We have had BBQ weddings, country and western theme weddings

Before I moved to Atlanta, in TN, I had use of a small church that we allowed use of for weddings for any size donations. In most area there are pastors that will marry you in their home, in your home or even at the court house. You can also just get married by the judge. With a receiption of close friends at your home.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Feb 5, 2008, 09:16 PM
    Have a simple wedding either at the courthouse or at the home of a friend or relative, and keep the celebration simple afterward. Just have immediate family. Make at least one night in a nice hotel a priority - particularly with your military service you need that special time to connect somewhere that feels special.

If you want more people there, perhaps the potluck suggestion at your home or the home of your parents, either later on the day you marry, or the following weekend, would work for you. Frankly, people don't care how fancy things are - they just want to celebrate with you. If you don't feel comfortable with the potluck thing, limit the people who you ask to bring things to people you know won't mind - perhaps your favorite aunt, your sister, your parents... or make the food yourselves.

If you can't afford to feed everyone, invite people at a time when a meal is not normally served and just have desserts and coffee, appetizers with beer and wine, or another cheap option is a buffet breakfast... an easy way to get around the cost of alcohol!
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 03:06 AM
    SITE - a church wedding is NOT out of the question just because you're on a budget. Talk to the pastor about the "no debt" thing and see if you can't get the chapel low cost.

PICTURES - Ask around, what you want is someone dedicated to the task, not necessarily a professional. Family members, friends, borrow/rent a high quality digital and ask someone to take 1000 pictures, including the wedding part y and the reception. On a budget, quantity of pics is important so you have plenty to choose from.

FLOWERS - a bouquet and boutineer (sp?) can be all you need. We decorated the ends of pews in our chapel wedding with ribbon bows, and the church had some flower pedestals already we got to use near the wedding party.

CLOTHING - rent a tux, borrow a dress. Wedding party does not need to all match, but if they're willing to do it at their own cost, let them. I asked my groomsmen to wear black suits and I gave them each a matching tie. Looked great. Bridesmaids all wore black dresses and contacted each other ahead of time to coordinate as much as was possible. Looked pretty awesome if you ask me.

REHEARSAL DINNER - We did a homemade spaghetti feast in my college apartment. It was great. My wife and I cooked it. Remind everyone if it comes up that this is a debt-free wedding, but not fun-free. Then throw some confetti at them.

RECEPTION - We rented the community center at our college for $50. No dinner, just lots of snacks and punch and an awesome cake, the only thing we paid much for. It was $175 and 3 tiers. We added our own top, a crystal hanging heart we bought at one of those crystal figurine "glass blower" shops. Maybe $25. We still have that.

HONEYMOON - Sorry, nothing beats a honeymoon package in Vegas. It was totally fun.

Total cost of our wedding including 3 days in Vegas - $500. That was 25 years ago. Bet I could still do it today, but even better this time but on a very similar budget.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wedding Plans for court house wedding [ 3 Answers ]

Hi!my name is toya i'm about to get married next month. I only have low income. Of course we are having a court house wedding, but what else can help us out like where to get dress, where to get suite, where to get rings.as well what can we do after wards i plan to have something att my house.so i...

Court House Wedding or Back Yard Wedding? [ 18 Answers ]

We are on a limited budget as far as our wedding goes. We want to spend more money on the rings and honeymoon than the wedding. So, we want something intimate and special but small. So these were the two options that we were thinking: 1. A small ceremony in his parent's backyard. There...

Wedding Attire for 5 P.M. Wedding [ 3 Answers ]

What is the appropriate attire for a middle-age women at a 5 pm wedding and a 6 p.m. reception?

Wedding on a budget [ 8 Answers ]

My fiancé and I have been engaged for 2 years have yet to set a date. We wanted to wait until after I finished school and that ended up being pushed back a year. We want to start planning for Sept. '08. Is this cutting it too close and we are on a very tight budget. I don't want to put it off...

View more questions Search