Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    19691969 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2007, 12:59 AM
    Patents & trademarks
    Can you take a concept from a exsisting patented product and apply
    That concept to improve another exsisting product without infringment
    And if you can what do you do next to protect your idea?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 14, 2007, 06:52 AM
    I once worked for a patent attorney who did searches for his clients before they could apply a patent to their invention, only after of course, nothing turned up that was remotely similar. I don't think you can take an existing concept and apply it to your own, that would mean, if your idea was patented the present owner could take royalties from it as he was the original owner of the patent.

You protect your idea by applying for a patent, and I hope you have resources because it is very expensive.

But, if you used an existing concept and (this is the hard part) turned it around and make it look entirely different from the original, you would have a chance. To have your invention searched you will have to have blueprints correctly done, plus a full description of function and design and probably a rough idea of cost to manufacture and what eventual market you would intend to launch into.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 14, 2007, 07:21 AM
    Its my understanding that you can use an existing invention in your own invention and get a patent. As long as your invention enhances the original. You would have to pay royalities or a licensing fee to the holder of the other patent though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Patents in accounting [ 9 Answers ]

I need help again! I have to create a income statement, owners equity & balance sheet but I am stuck on one thing. Is a patent an asset or expense? All it says is patent and gives an amount on my example. No explanation nothing... I know that you have to pay for a patent but you can also make...

Using trademarks [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everybody, This is "stayupright" from Germany and I have a question. We manufacture a unique cell phone charger and I will introduce the product this January at the CES tradeshow in Las Vegas. On our display I want to use brand names like Nokia and Motorola. May I do so? Do I have to place...

Patents [ 1 Answers ]

I have three patents, that was not so bad, it's getting them to market, it's a whole new world out there, What should I do ?

View more questions Search