Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cysalazar690 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2007, 10:02 PM
    Replacing shower/tub slip on spout
    I replaced the shower/tub slip on spout, but there is water leaking from the back of the spout and the wall. What am I doing wrong?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 14, 2007, 07:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cysalazar690
    i replaced the shower/tub slip on spout, but there is water leaking from the back of the spout and the wall. what am i doing wrong?
    If, after tightening the set screw it leaks from the rear then you have rolled the "O" ring out of position. Go back and take it off. Put the "O" ring back in position and take a piece of sandpaper and smooth off the ridge on the front of the copper stubout. Bevel it down so it doesn't catch the "O" ring and roll mnit out of position. Now reinstall the spout. Better now? Good luck, Tom

Dec 14, 2007, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    If, after tightening the set screw it leaks from the rear then you have rolled the "O" ring out of position. Go back and take it off. Put the "O" ring back in position and take a piece of sandpaper and smooth off the ridge on the front of the copper stubout. Bevel it down so it doesn't catch the "O" ring and roll mnit out of position. Now reinstall the spout. Better now? Good luck, Tom

Sorry the "O" ring? Where would that be? Brand name is Mixet and everything is one piece. Do I have to take something apart to find the "O" ring?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 14, 2007, 08:37 AM
    The "O"ring sets just inside the back of the spout. Put it back where it belongs and try again. And bevel the end of the stub out. Good luck, Tom

Dec 15, 2007, 12:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    The "O"ring sets just inside the back of the spout. Put it back where it belongs and try again. And bevel the end of the stub out. Good luck, Tom
    Found the "O" ring! Thanks, placed it in place and it seems to be working.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing tub spout [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to replace a tub spout, but cannot take old one off. The spout does not have a screw on the bottom. How can I take this spout off?

How to remove a slip-on Delta bath tub spout [ 1 Answers ]

The house is 16 years old. The bath tub spout has no identification on it, but it says "Delta Monitor" on the Temperature Control knob. The problem is that the water just flows to the tub and won't go up to the showerhead. I am trying to rePlcace the tub spout. It looks like a slip on type. I have...

Replacing Tub Spout [ 5 Answers ]

I don't know the lingo well so bare with me. (Not a handy person here.) My tub spout wasn't working right so my dad decided to replace it. So he twisted it, and discovered there were screws. He removed it. (screw scratched it the pipe.) We bought a AquaSource Universal Tub Spout, with no real...

Replacing tub spout [ 4 Answers ]

I have a slip-on spout where the diverter does not work anymore. It must either stay "up" for the shower or "down" for the tub. The diverter is on the spout. I removed the spout and took it to a hardware store to purchase a new one. I followed the instructions and installed the new spout. I...

View more questions Search