Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plexter321 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2005, 09:25 PM
    Wiring 220 baseboard heaters newbie
    Hi . I am having probles setting up 2 baseboard heaters in my living room. I have the two of heaters connected and both wires going back to a thermostat box. Any help with how to connect the two heaters to a thermostat. I have a thermostat with a L1 and a t1 marked on them. I took it as L1 to main 220 power. T1 connected to both + wires coming from the baseboards white wires, and the two black wires coming from the baseboard I have connected by a wirenut. The problem is I have heat, but the thermostat is doing nothing. Even when in the off position heater is blasting . Any help with wiring configuration?:mad:
    jamlove Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Dec 20, 2005, 10:42 AM
    May need more details
    In 220V wiring, BOTH white and black wires are hot. Each carries current. So, for a switch (thermostat) to work, it must interrupt BOTH lines. You've spliced half the circuit continuous, bypassing the switch.

You may need a thermostat specially made for 220 wiring, I'm not sure on that one.

The only lines that should be wire-nut connected are the neutral, bare copper lines.

I'd shut the power off on that circuit until I had it squared away...

Good luck man,

James

On second thought... are you sure these are 220V heaters? If they only have two wires and no green or copper, they might not be??
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2005, 10:48 AM
    Sounds like your using a single pole tstat, and you need to use a double pole. But the stat you have should trun the heat on and off. Do you have one line (hot) white to L1 and the other two whites from the heaters to T12?

Even thou this should work, I caution you that you must use a double pole thermostat with 240 volt heaters

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 baseboard heaters, 2 thermostats [ 5 Answers ]

I have ran a 12/2 up to a point where I want to power two 1500 (240v) watt baseboard heaters each running off a separate thermostat. Each heater will heat a separate room. I have double-pole wall-mount thermostats. Do I split my 12/2 and go to the thermostats or is there another way this should...

Baseboard heater wiring circuit [ 6 Answers ]

I just finished intaling a baseboard heater and I have a question that has been nagging me. The heater is on 240 circuit. So, I ran 12/2 and used the black and white to run my two hot wires as is common practice. Please excuse my ignorance on this matter, but this got me wondering. I have...

Thermostat and electrical baseboard wiring [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just installed 2 thermostat and 2 baseboards but none are heating... I wonder if my wiring is OK. I have 120 on both wires in the baseboard but no heat at all... here is a diagram of my wiring. The wiring in my baseboard is OK. On one side, I have 2 wires linked with a wirenut and on the...

What type of Baseboards heaters to get? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I need some assistance as to what kind of basebaord heaters to get in terms of voltage 120v or 240v, hydronics or others, commercial/residential, brand type? What are the pros and cons of each? I have a 110 electrical circuit breaker box. Thanks in advance for you help! Matt

Baseboard heaters [ 12 Answers ]

Hi all.. New to the forum.. Thanks in advance for any help.. I am trying to set up new baseboard heating in my basement.. My questions are to what size breakers to use and if I can put it all on one circuit.. I want to set up 3 rooms: Room 1 - 2 1000 watt heaters Room 2 & 3 - 1 1500 watt...

View more questions Search