Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mtdn27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2007, 03:51 PM
    Electrical equipment with coax lines connected backfeeding 40-60 volts through lines?
    Hi I have a question for any electricians. I am a cable technician and do installations for Cable,Internet,& Voice in homes. What I have encountered a lot is electrical back-feed coming through the copper coax lines feeding from vcr's and tv's in the house which are plugged into electrical outlets. THis voltage is not coming from the outside cable system because with the outside lines and cable boxes disconnected anything plugged into the home wall outlets feeds between 30 to 80 volts back through the lines many times melting the insulation on ours lines. I usually notice electricity first from feeling the electricity then I will check with a FVD and or VOM. It seems to me as though the home has a bad ground or neutral and the cable lines are the path of least resistance but I am not an electrician so would like to know what the cause and effect are. Thank you
    Edit/Delete Message
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2007, 05:02 PM
    I believe it is coming from ground faults in the home, and their system is not grounded properly, and/or there are neutral ties to grounds.

Since your system is grounded at the street, you should test with a voltage meter across the customer ground point and your cable before you coming in between these two. Those customers that give you more than 2 volts should not be connected and issued a warning that their system needs attention.
    Cobraguy Posts: 140, Reputation: 11

Dec 14, 2007, 08:48 AM
    I wonder if this customer has the same handyman that was mentioned in another thread.
    Cobraguy Posts: 140, Reputation: 11

Dec 15, 2007, 08:56 AM
    Yep labman! That's the one!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2007, 09:28 AM
    The worst are the people that "Think" they know how to do something.

Give anyone that asks a question all the respect.

At least they are admitting they do not know.

And those that question the advice of someone that is not a pro.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting Copper Supply Lines to Brass Supply Lines [ 3 Answers ]

I have just started remodeling my kitchen and am looking to move my kitchen sink further down the wall. The kitchen is completely gutted at this point. The supply lines in my house are all brass. I'm looking to stem off the brass lines using copper tubing. Is it possible to cut the brass supply...

Tangent lines & secant lines [ 3 Answers ]

Show that the tangent line to the curve y = x^3 at the point x=a also hits the curve at the point x = -2a. Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right path? I set the function and the slope of a line secant to the functions through the points (a, f(a)) and (-2a, f(-2a)) equal to each other and...

Boundary lines [ 1 Answers ]

So I am dating a guy that has towo ex and two kida from a previous relationships.. His most recent ex is living in Italy with his 3 year old son and we live in canada. The first time he visited him we had been dating for 61/2 months... do it was definitely inappropriate for me to attend... Hoever,...

Lines Across TV [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old (atleast 10 years) RCA television. A few months ago it randomly developed a problem where white lines with a redish pink in between cover the entire screen. The lines are horizontal at a slight angle and go all the way across the screen. This happens spiratically and goes through...

View more questions Search