Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GWRGMR Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2005, 08:05 AM
    No Monitor Signal
    Hello,
    I recently tried to install a Radeon 9550 256mb AGP, on a compaq. Being the idiot I am I did not uninstall the on-board video first, I inserted the videocard and now I get no signal to the monitor, I have tried removing the Radeon and using the onboard video again, but still no picture. All the fans seem to be spinning and there are no beeps,(there were usually none during startup). The power supply is 220w, wondering if that could be the problem, any help would be appreciated as I don't have much knowledge in hardware. Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 19, 2005, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GWRGMR
    Hello,
    I recently tried to install a Radeon 9550 256mb AGP, on a compaq. Being the idiot i am i did not uninstall the on-board video first, i inserted the videocard and now i get no signal to the monitor, I have tried removing the Radeon and using the onboard video again, but still no picture. All the fans seem to be spinning and there are no beeps,(there were usually none during startup). the power supply is 220w, wondering if that could be the problem, any help would be appreciated as i dont have much knowledge in hardware. thanx.
    Did you try booting to Safe Mode and resetting the video Adapter?

Dec 19, 2005, 08:51 AM
    Tried Safe Boot...
    Yes, I did try booting in safe mode, by pressing the right key, but nothing happens, and as there is no picture(no signal to monitor) I don't really know if anything happens after that.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 20, 2005, 07:05 AM
    Did you try contacting tech support for your PC?
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2005, 07:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GWRGMR
    Yes, i did try booting in safe mode, by pressing the right key, but nothing happens, and as there is no picture(no signal to monitor) i dont really know if anything happens after that.
    I tried booting in safe mode once. It would not work either. Afetr sveral attempts I got so frustrated that I just kept pressing the key whilst calling the computer every name under the sun. HEY PRESTO it worked.

I am not suggesting you yell at the computer and call it all the names under the sun lol - but just try pressing the key a few times - it worked for me :D

Dec 20, 2005, 07:45 AM
    Any more tips?
    Yeah, I tried restarting the PC a couple of times, before the signal was gone (i.e. before I tried installing the card), to go into windows, I had to press f10(bios), enter(english), then 2 spaces up (exit without saving), then enter, then f1(save changes),(apparently the drive would not be "seen" until I went into bios and then out again). Well, I tried doing that and also tried just pressing the f5,f8,f10, and f12 buttons, but nothing seems to be working. Also, I want to hold of on tech support as I got no help from them last time, (Compaq). BTW: the PC sounds like it did before recognizing the hdd. Which is just going, doesn't slow down after awhile.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Dec 20, 2005, 08:23 AM
    Can you try the monitor on another computer?

You don't need to disable the onboard video card to install another graphics card so don't beat yourself up over that one.

If you had to do all that stuff in the bios just to load windows, it sounds like you had a problem with either your motherboard or the battery on it!

Does the hard drive light flash on the front of the case? Possibly not if you had to set it up in the bios?

Try removing the power from the system entirely and leaving it off for about 1 hour.

Good Luck

Dec 20, 2005, 09:04 AM
    I'm at work now, but I'll try the monitor on another computer after work. Also, when I started having the problem with the hdd (not recognizing it), I lost the signal to the monitor. I had an old hdd lying around so I thought I would try that, it had win98 on it and it started up, loaded everything (drivers, etc... ) and I had win98 on there. After that, is when I had to go into and exit bios for the newer hdd to be recognized. Although the older hdd was always recognized. I tried the old hdd again but still nothing happens, also tried removing all the cables (power, monitor, keyboard, etc.. ) for at least 3hrs, plugged everything back in, but still nothing. Just to let you know what I've been trying.:confused: BTW: the hdd light does come on (next to the power light in the front right?) but it does not go off, it is always on.

Dec 20, 2005, 09:43 AM
    No, the hard disk light rarely stays on solid. Usually it flashes off slightly even when it's being used heavily. That indicates a problem with either the hard drive or the motherboard. From what you've said,it could be the motherboard. If it was showing an image I'd probably suggest a bios update, but that's going to be difficult isn't it:D

Can you tell us the exact model of the Compaq machine?

Dec 20, 2005, 12:07 PM
    Compaq Presario 6350CA
    I have a Compaq Presario 6350CA, with 512mb Ram, P4 2.4ghz. I tried the old hdd mentioned earlier and the light did not stay on as it did with the newer hdd. I checked the compaq site and found a way to reset the bios, I'll be trying that, although I don't think it will work as I have been trying to get into the bios since it started acting up. Also, tried removing the components, i.e. all hd's, floppy, cd/dvd drives. BTW: the keyboard light for NUM lock flashes, if that makes any sense.

Dec 20, 2005, 12:13 PM
    When you say the Num Lock light flashes, is this a constant flickering? If so it could either be loose or again motherboard troubles. With the power disconnected try removing and re-seating the ram (swap out if possible).

The reset of the bios is worth a try, I will see if there's an update for it also.

Dec 20, 2005, 12:25 PM
    Found these on the HP site:

Monitor is Blank
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...cname=bph04760

Faq's
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...&lang=en&cc=uk&

Dec 20, 2005, 12:35 PM
    I tried reseating the RAM, only inserting one or the other, also, don't have a place where I can just buy RAM, so I don't have any additional sticks. Hope the bios reset works:( BTW: was using a wireless, keyboard/mouse and changed to wired and the NUM light was constantly flashing, non-stop. Thanks for the links already went there, that's where I got the bios reset idea

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor = no signal need help [ 13 Answers ]

Prepare for a possibly long detailed description of my problem. OK first off... it seems there's lots of people with this problem but not many solutions (I haven't found anyone that's said "thanks it works now")... I even googled stuff like "no signal from monitor" (which is how I found this...

Monitor no signal [ 11 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a graphics card that doesn't work for my PC,as in there are no beebs,and the monitor stays blank when I turn it on with an amber light, I have a ic7-g motherboard and the graphics card ati radeon 9800 pro doesn't work for my mobo and I dunt know why(it should work,other people...

No Signal to the Monitor [ 1 Answers ]

Our computer decided to take a breakdown, and there is no signal to the monitor we tried another monitor and still nothing the computer lights up the cd drive light flickers, the mother board light is on and the fan works, however when we swapped swapped the hard drive into another computer that...

Monitor - No signal [ 53 Answers ]

Hi all, I'm trying to build my own computer without my husband's help so I can learn stuff along the way. My first obstacle is that the monitor has no signal. The computer I am upgrading is my brother's old one and I played cards on it just last week before he gave it to me. When I brought it home...

No signal to monitor [ 8 Answers ]

OK like a week ago I unhooked my computer then just awhile ago I rehooked it back up and like the computer starts up and everything its just there is no signal to my moniter and the cd rom drive doesn't open or close and I also can't power the computer down by the power button ihave to turn it off...

View more questions Search