Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stonewilder Posts: 420, Reputation: 99

Dec 12, 2007, 09:45 PM
    Why is the key not turning?
    I went to leave work today and my ignition key would not turn. Does anyone know why this might be?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 12, 2007, 09:59 PM
    Once I was using the wrong key. Another time I had absentmindedly shifted out of Park. Still another time my gearshift was just a bit out of Park. Once I "wiggled" it back into place, the key turned and the car started.

Dec 12, 2007, 11:03 PM
    OK now that I've looked it up, it seems all I need is to hit the key with a rubber mallet at least as a temporary fix.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2007, 03:40 PM
    Rubber mallet? Doesn't sound good for the ignition...

Is the wheel locked?

... just in case... is it your own car?

I'd hate to ask, but my dad did this once with my neighbor's car... they have the same car with the same color and they park on the curb... neighbor left his car open... yeah.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2007, 03:45 PM
    Can you get it to lossen or turn if you try to crank the wheel some?. had a pathfinder that did that sometimes. You'd just turn the steering wheel a little and the key at the same time and it worked.

I know this probably isn't the issue, but it could be... and I know my answer doesn't explain why at all.

Only reason I posted this is I gave it to a friend to use and he didn't know about that trick and called me hurried cause he thought hed miss work.

Dec 16, 2007, 09:30 PM
    So far my car is still sitting at work and unable to start. At least 12 or more people have tried moving the steering wheel back and forth, rocking the car, shooting air in the key hole, of course the rubber mallet thing, unhooking one of the battery cables,everything and nothing has worked. Guess I'll be calling a locks smith.

But there is some good news. A guy took off the center compartment thing where the gear shift is and found almost $40! Apparently who ever own the car before me put the money in the cup holder then when they closed it the money fell in the empty space. I know it wasn't my money 'cause I never carry any.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2007, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stonewilder
    But there is some good news. A guy took off the center compartment thing where the gear shift is and found almost $40! Apparently who ever own the car before me put the money in the cup holder then when they closed it the money fell in the empty space. I know it wasn't my money 'cause I never carry any.
    Crazy. Guess you get to put that $$ toward the locksmith... but still funny.

I lived in a house after my cousin had lived there for three years. Several months after id been there I decided to rearrange and clean the walk in closet. When I took the boards off a shelf I found an old envelope with $80 inside. Money was about 25 years old, apparently placed for "safe keeping" under the closet shelf by some long gone owner. My cousin was grumpy.

I told him if only he had deep cleaned the place once in a while he probably wouldve found it.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Dec 18, 2007, 08:03 AM
    I would have to ask if the ignition lock cylinder or the ignition key, or both, are worn and the tumblers don't align?
    Have you had a locksmith (Pop-a-Lock or AAA?) look at it yet?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1 child turning 18,1 still under 18 [ 4 Answers ]

I have 1 child that just Graduated High school and I have a 9 year old still at home, I know that child support ends for the 18 year old,does that mean the child support is reduced to half of what I was getting for the 2 kids? And what happens if the person paying child support get another job and...

Fan keeps turning off. [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought an Aloha breeze ceiling fan and instaled it for the first time. I did it myself to save money. I was trying to go by the instructions but got confused with the remote. That's when I saw the helpful tip from this site. Anyway I finished installing it, but after awhile of running the...

TV keeps turning itself off - why? [ 8 Answers ]

I have had my TV for 3 years, over the last few days it turns itself off. This happens 2-3 times a day, about every 20mins or so. Is it telling me its on its last legs or does anyone think its worth repairing? Does anyone have any answers - caby2

Outside fan not turning [ 4 Answers ]

We have a ~10 yr old AG unit. Seven weeks ago, we noticed the outside unit was running, but the fan was not turning. Oil was added. That worked for several weeks. Last week, the fan stopped again. The tech replaced the fan motor this time. Now, 5 days later, the fan is not turning again. Could...

View more questions Search