Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pdean35 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2007, 08:12 PM
    15 years and this is how I'm treated!
    I've work at my job for 15years. I have 3 new bosses. I was called in a meeting a couple of weeks ago and put on 90 days probation for something that was not true. During my meeting one of the guys ask me to give my resignation, the other guy said that he did not think I was a leader or should be an officer of this company. The other guy tried to be bias. I want to know what are my rights. I know SC is a right to work state and you can loss your job over anything but how can they put me on probation while the other ask for my resignation. Please keep in mind that I have never had any other complaints. What should I do? What is the purpose of 90 day probation if they don't want me at the company?
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2007, 08:30 PM
    Sounds like they need a scapegoat for something that you said isn't true and therefore not your fault. They might have been happy if you quit, but by doing the probation thing they can make it look like they took action. Also it may demonstrate unsatisfactory performance history down the road. It could be as simple as they want to cut expenses. Things like this make me wonder how to get these scoundrels... I'd strongly suggest using the 90 days to make other plans. Consider it a gift of sorts that you got a little bit of warning.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 12, 2007, 08:35 PM
    Sounds like they want you to quit, instead of having to fire you at the end of the 90 days. Most liekly, and this is just a guess, but you are on the way out, and they don't want to pay unemployment if they don't have to, and also they want to cover their bases legally. They can of course just fire you, but then they pay unemployment, if you quit then they don't pay.
    So by giving a probation warning, if they fire you for cause, then they may try to dispute the unemployment.

It is not uncommom at all, for new bosses to clean house to make room for their friends or workers they want to bring in.
    Now this is just my guess on the limited info you have given
    stonewilder Posts: 420, Reputation: 99

Dec 12, 2007, 08:35 PM
    You are right about SC being a right to work state so does give you few rights. I think you should continue looking into your rights but in the mean time I would stay as low key as possible at work. You may want to look for another job just in case you only have 90 more days. As with resignation, if they wanted to get rid of me they would have to fire me. At least if they fire you (depending on the reason) you'll be able to draw half time till you find something else. Sorry I can't be of more help. Hope it all turns out OK.
    JeremyLeindl Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2007, 03:44 PM
    Sorry about that but what I would do is wait and when you get back just give 110% and let them know that you aren't the problem
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2007, 03:53 PM
    My mother went through some of the same noise.

She received a great honor from the company for being one of the best reps one year. The next year she was written up for a customer's failing to pay... she was written up after she had followed company line for the situation, and then asked her supervisor what tack she should take.

The write up meant no bonus or raise that year.

Suddenly she was on "probation"... and at one meeting was told she might as well quit if her numbers weren't going to be any better... this during a time when everybodys numbers were down.

In the end, she left. After almost 10 years with a good company, management changed. She thinks the super had a friend in the company she wanted to move into her place. So she left.

In the end it was the best thing ever. All the people who stayed after she left said they wish theyd had the nerve to leave when she did. Its just no longer the same place.

So... I'm of no help to you concerning your real question... what are your legal options... but I can tell you from my mothers experience... a woman who was loyal and worked her arse off nights and weekends... sometimes the push you get out the door means you are the first one off a sinking ship.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2007, 03:57 PM
    My best friend's sister was fired after 35 years of working in Radiology at one of the local hospitals. 35 years! No complaints about her, no write ups, no disciplinary actions ever. There was a new supervisor who wanted a job for her granddaughter who was graduating.

It can happen to anyone for any reason. Do your best in the next 90 days and bite your tongue if you have to. Keep looking though. Best of all to you.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2007, 04:12 PM
    Support a union, then you would have recourse. Good luck
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

Dec 13, 2007, 04:24 PM
    I worked at a position for 4 years (not long, I know) but the same thing happened to me as well. My manager had been trying to push me out of the company but I showed her how hard I worked and how badly I wanted a promotion. She felt threatened by me because I followed company standards to a T and she did not and I kept saying something about it and going to corporate about it. So she threatened to put me on probation, although she agreed with me that she had no reason for doing so. She then told me to quit or be fired. So I put in my two weeks because I was tired of all the abuse, and was let go the next day.

I went to my state's department of L&I, looked at laws (WA is a right to work state, as well) and went to corporate about the situation.

Just look into laws, see if you can find any loopholes and hold your ground.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Treated lumber [ 2 Answers ]

How soon can I paint stained lumber? And could I used screws or nails on treated lumber?

Treated lumber [ 3 Answers ]

How soon can I paint treated lumber? And could I used screws or nails on treated lumber?

Am I being treated fairly? [ 1 Answers ]

Since January this year ive been getting very close to a really nice boy. I bet you're thinking 'she fancies him' or w.e. But actually i don't, he sees me as his best friend and i feel the same. In January id had a stressful time with an ex boyfriend and i was often depressed and crying. He...

Color treated hair [ 1 Answers ]

Okay here is my problem. I die my hair dark colors but it always goes back to light! How do I prevent that from happening? hunny

Treated Unfairly [ 3 Answers ]

I saw an ad for a roommate and I got the room. After six months, the roommate felt she can afford the rent on her own and wrote me a letter to move out in 30 days. I have never been late with the rent and now it is so hard to get a room and start moving out. She never told me I was there for just...

View more questions Search