Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ronsall Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2007, 07:40 PM
    Fix greyware. C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    AVG found the file and said it made a change to fix the problem, But trend housecall finds it every time. Housecall says it has successfully removed the infection from my PC and to run another scan, but it always comes up with it again every time I run it. Can someone tell me how to get rid of this thing? I have spent hours trying to find a cure. I found and tried HostsXpert.exe, but says it can not access the file C:\windows\ system32\drivers\etc\hosts

This is my first time here. Hope I am doing things right?

Thanks Much,
    Ron Salladay
    invisibleman_productions Posts: 207, Reputation: 12

Dec 13, 2007, 01:48 AM
    Do you have a firewall like zonealarm which locks the host files?
    but it always comes up with it again every time I run it.
    Could you tell us what avg finds and what comes up . i.e. the names of the spyware .
    Have you run any anti spyware programs?
    Please run all the steps on the link below (skip the steps for the programs you already have)
    Security News from the net: spyware fighter essentials

Dec 13, 2007, 02:29 PM
    Yes... Under File it has HOSTS
    Under Result/Infection it has CHANGE
    Under Path it has the... C\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

I have ran Spybot SD, spyware Vanisher, I have spyware Blaster on all of the time, PC Checkup, PC Tools antivirus, Reg Cure, Reg Cleaner, Registry Booster 2, Registry Fix, Spy Sweeper 5, 1-2-3- SpyWare Free, Spy Guard, Latest StopZilla, Trojan Remover6.6
    Windows Malicious software Removal Tool, I have tried HostsXpert.exe. It could not access the file c\windows... Trend Micro House Call, which comes up with greyware C\windows\system32------. It says it has fixed the problem, but on the next scan it is there again. I have tried this many times. AVG just now finished a scheduled scan and comes up clean. I have tried BruteForce Uninstaller. I don't have anything else to try. Thank You Very much for your response. Ron Salladay... I hope I need to click on Post Quick Answer... I will check out the Similar Questions below. Thanks Again...

Dec 13, 2007, 02:37 PM
    Yes... Under File it has HOSTS
    Under Result/Infection it has CHANGE
    Under Path it has the... C\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

I have ran Spybot SD, spyware Vanisher, I have spyware Blaster on all of the time, PC Checkup, PC Tools antivirus, Reg Cure, Reg Cleaner, Registry Booster 2, Registry Fix, Spy Sweeper 5, 1-2-3- SpyWare Free, Spy Guard, Latest StopZilla, Trojan Remover6.6
    Windows Malicious software Removal Tool, I have tried HostsXpert.exe. It could not access the file c\windows... Trend Micro House Call, which comes up with greyware C\windows\system32------. It says it has fixed the problem, but on the next scan it is there again. I have tried this many times. AVG just now finished a scheduled scan and comes up clean. I have tried BruteForce Uninstaller. I don't have anything else to try. Thank You Very much for your response. Ron Salladay... I hope I need to click on Post Quick Answer... I will check out the Similar Questions below. Thanks Again... Yes I have the windows XP Home firewall.

Dec 13, 2007, 08:33 PM
    Hi Ron

Trend Micro House Call, which comes up with greyware C\windows\system32------
    What is the name of the greyware it finds?

Have you run the vundo and combo fix?
    Also have you done an online anti virus scan ?
    Also can you please run Superantispyware

If you still have the greyware after running the above tools you would need to get your computer checked by the hijackthis experts Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals™ (SpywareInfo
    Subratam.org)

Dec 14, 2007, 12:18 AM
    Sir: First I want to thank you for your time and response. I am kind of a computer Idiot. I just installed and ran Superanti spyware. It passed right over the nasty file. It found Memory Items-0... files detected 13... and registry items 9... Total 22.. Time.. 40:02. Just Tracking cookies and a Malware. Spyware Vanisher which I downloaded and installed some time ago. I am going to uninstall it. To make it short. House call says it is... ADWARE_MEMWATCHER
    C\windows\system32\Drivers\etc\hosts
    The file is there, I can find it in windows explorer. But can not delete it. I have ran virus scans. I have all the programs such as spybot, spysweeper and all. Nothing will get rid of it. VMUNDO...

VundoFix V6.7.0

Checking Java version...

Scan started at 3:44:02 PM 12/13/2007

Listing files found while scanning...

No infected files were found.

Beginning removal...
    I could go on, but will leave it here now. Thanks Again. Ron Salladay

Dec 14, 2007, 08:11 PM
    As you have been using HostsXpert . What does it say in hostXpert , does it say "Make Writeable" or "Make read only" ?

I was able to replicate the error under hostXpert with these 2 settings. Also you cannot delete a system file from windows as it would we read only. What you need to do is make the file writeable and then click on Restore Ms Hosts Files.

Dec 15, 2007, 12:55 AM
    Yes I have ran HostsXpert several times. It hangs and gives me an error message of
    Error... Cannot create file c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.
    Thanks again for your help. Have any idea other ideas?
    Thanks so much
    Ron Salladay
    trishalicious8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2008, 08:17 PM
    All I have been using is spybot and avg and I went right into explorer and deleted it, emptied the trash can. I know nothing, I hope I didn't screw up my comp...
    Just thought I'd let you know. I will post if there is any reappearance

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Virus in Hosts File inside Windows System32 folder [ 25 Answers ]

I have a virus in C:\\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts I'm using AVG free edition. I've put the file in the virus vault, it says it's possible to heal the file except that there isn't enough info to do so. Any ideas of what I should do?

C:WINDOWSsystem32driversetchosts [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I can't find \etc\hosts in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ and AGV keeps telling me it has a reading error in this line. All the forums I have been to tell me to open the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts folder and edit it to... but it isn't there how do I reinstall this folder(\etc\host)...

System32driversetc [ 1 Answers ]

I have idenwebjal it is a cell phone program and when I try to open it it says cannot retrive information from server. I somehow lost system32\drivers\etc can anyone help?

How do I open c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts [ 2 Answers ]

I can't find it, and I need to. Does anyone know where its located?:confused:

C:windowssystem32gvdcgfc.dll- error [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there Whenever I boot up my system following error dialogbox comes up "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\gvdcgfc.dll The specified Module Could not be found" Only one OK button is there. But noting wrong I found afterwards.

View more questions Search