Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cid29b Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2007, 04:13 PM
    Can they garnish a check that I'm cashing ?
    Hello everybody, my checking acount was frozen because of a credit card debt, my question is if I go to my bank to cash a check with my name on it can they force me to deposit it into my seized account ? Can I just let a friend cash it for me ? Will the bank still take it even if it's deposited to a different name just because it's my check ?

Thanks in advance
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 12, 2007, 05:51 PM
    They can refuse to cash it, normally unless you deposit the check they require there to be money to cover the check in your account.

Also if you deposit it into another bank account, the people who have the freeze on your accouint, if they are tracking your banking, will find and freeze this other account possibliy
    cid29b Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    they can refuse to cash it, normally unless you deposit the check they require there to be money to cover the check in your account.

Also if you deposit it into another bank account, the people who have the freeze on your accouint, if they are tracking your banking, will find and freeze this other account possibliy
    Thanks a lot for the reply, I really want to pay my debt but don't have any means right now I lost everything because of a medical procedure a year ago and lost my job, my last check is just 150 dollars which I'm planning to spend for the holidays not really sure if I'll be around next Christmas and this could be my last , I'm not a bad person but like other people here, sometimes you will be in a situation that's really hard to get out, when they freezed my account I only have 20 dollars in it. Anyway for my last question, my friend used to cash a check for me because she have friends in the bank , can she still do it ?

Thanks and happy holidays.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 12, 2007, 09:03 PM
    Should be able to,
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2007, 09:09 PM
    Another thought that might be an option for you is to go to the bank from which the check is from if possible. It should be printed on the check. A friend of mine has a Walmart store card, and is able to cash checks without any fees. Hope that helps you.

Also I hope you have a good holiday.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2007, 09:41 AM
    By all means, the first option is go to the bank the check is from and have the bank cash the check for you. Second option is to open an account with another bank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bankruptcy on more than 1 check cashing co. [ 3 Answers ]

Can I file bankruptcy on check cashing companies?

Disability check VS. Child support check [ 2 Answers ]

My sister lives w/ my step father. My mom HAD to leave the home. My sister is 13 and decided to stay w/ father. I don't think he can take care of my sister.. he can't hardly take care of his self. He receives a disability check for his self and my sister gets one also until she is 18. He BLOWS...

Cashing a bad check [ 6 Answers ]

I was given a check for a sweapstakes I won. I took the check to my local cashing agency who I always deal with. I cashed the check. A few days later the check cashing agency notified me that the check had bounced. Now the agency wants me to pay back the money to them. I already spent the...

Check Cashing [ 1 Answers ]

Can you cash a personal check against a business account or a certificate of deposit in the state of Virginia?

View more questions Search