Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Anneorexic Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2007, 03:55 PM
    Pre-trial conference/mediation debt summons
    I just received a summons for a pre-trial conference/mediation from Asset Acceptance. I have researched the "intent to defend" and how to respond to a summons. My debt agency that helped with paperwork between me and the creditors is going to offer a 650 settlement. The originial debt was for about 850. But when these guys bought it, they claim the price was at 1239. It has been inactive for over 3 years. However, I am curious if I file my intent to defend. Then file the debt verification with the collection agency. Where does the settlement offer fit into it?
    If I file the intent to defend, am I now held to appear in court if the collection agency and I settle before the court date of Jan. 7?

I already have my paperwork organized, ready to print, and send off. But is this necessary for a pre-trial mediation summons?

Thanks
    Anne
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2007, 09:45 PM
    Ordinarily, one can settle a claim until the time a judgement is rendered by either the judge or jury; and in some cases, a settlement may be entered into following the judgement, which in that event, a contract is entered into. I have no idea what you are talking about as far as the procedure in your state and in your court, but in most courts you can get a copy of whatever you want from the other side so that you can be certain that the collection agency paid 1239. You might visit with the judges secretary or law clerk and ask a few questions and see how much they will help you. Otherwise, you had better get a lawyer.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2007, 05:09 AM
    Do file the Notice of Itent to Defend. File the Debt verification now. At the hearing you can demurr until they provide validication of the alleged debt. Remember they must prove it not you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Summons for Pretrial Conference [ 5 Answers ]

I live in Florida and I received a Summons to appear for pretrial conference from Asset Acceptance. Do I just go to the court on the date it says? Will these people actually show up or is this a scare tactic to try and get a default judgment hoping that I don't show?

Court ordered Mediation vs Court Trial [ 4 Answers ]

Hello again, I'm going into a mediation next month concerning a past credit card debt that I am being sued for. I plan on using the SOL defense as the date of last activity falls past the statute date. Anyhow, I was wondering what the difference between a Court ordered mediation and a normal...

Summons civil case management conference [ 2 Answers ]

I received a summons for uncollected debt and I want to know if I can just pay it off without going to court - can you help me?

Summons for old debt [ 2 Answers ]

I received a summons to appear in court for an old credit card debt (I think my last payment was in 2000 or 2001). The SOL in the state in which I resided at the time has expired. How do I prepare myself for court? Or, does the plaintiff have to prove their case? Any help is appreciated! ...

View more questions Search