Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timur Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2007, 01:34 PM
    Service Panel, Neutral and Ground bars tied?
    In the service panel, both the Neutral bar and Ground bar tied together. Neutral wires tied to the Neutral bar, Ground wires tied to the ground bar in the service panel. Isn't the ground wire than becomes the same as the Neutral wire, or maybe taking part of the current load off from the Neutral wire?
    Thanks, Tim
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 12, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Tim,

No, Neutral takes the returning electricity and carries back to your service connect.

Ground takes electrical energy and disipates it at the earth ground.

One of the things a GFCI product is a difference in current flow between Neutral and ground and if it is significant enough the device will trip.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2007, 02:34 PM
    It is at the Main Service Disconnect Means, not just a service panel, both the Neutral bar and Ground bar are tied together. This is where the grounded conductor (AKA Neutral) is grounded by connection to a grounding electrode with a grounding conductor.

I like to use the proper terminology to help educate those asking questions.

Don is correct with his explanation the role of the neutral and equipment ground with branch circuit conductors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ground/Neutral Bus in Main Service Panel - Is there a Difference? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm preparing to provide new wiring to a sizable addition to a log home. Prior to beginning the new work I mapped my existing circuits thinking it best to correct any potential overloads in the existing panel/circuit design before introducing any new problems on my own. Decided to make a few...

Why don't panels come with ground bars? [ 8 Answers ]

I bought a sub panel last summer. I had to buy and install a ground bar kit. Time after time I read careful instructions here to buy and install a ground bar, mount it with machine screws, and if a main panel, bond it to the neutral. Where would you use a panel that doesn't need an equipment...

200 AMP Service panel to 200Amp Sub Panel [ 1 Answers ]

I getting new 200Amp service to surface mount service panel. I want to run 2oo cable to bring it sub panel in my Garage which is approx 120Ft Run through ceiling. 2 Questions 1. Is there any ristriction on running a 200AMP inside house to garage ? 2. I got a dirt cheap subpanel that has...

Open ground when neutral not touching ground [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was moving around a room and noticed my wife wanted her desk elsewhere. I decided to, since she would have her computer on it, check the outlet she would be moving to. It seemed old so I changed it. I noticed before I changed it that with my GFCI tester, all sockets on this circuit were...

Using Neutral as a Ground ? [ 3 Answers ]

In my new apartment there are some wall outlets that are two prong outlets. Also my fear is that the three prong outlets are not “physically” connected to ground. I heard somewhere that in this kind of system the neutral wire can also be used as a ground. Is this correct? Would a separate...

View more questions Search