Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 18, 2005, 11:58 AM
    Motorcycles
    Ive always thought I would like a motorcyle but everyone keeps telling me its too dangerous and your not big enough. I weigh about 120 lbs and I see people on them smaller than me all the time. I really want one. What type is best for me so I won't get squished as my dad says? Hes been against motorcycles since one of his best friends was hit by a truck and cut in half on one.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Dec 18, 2005, 12:35 PM
    One careful owner
    Like your dad said,they can be dangerous,in the wrong hands.I've known a few male,and female friends have slight accidents.The best advice is to talk to a reputable outlet,where instruction,and teaching is of a high standard.If you really want a bike,listen to advice,save your money,and be careful.Afterwards,enjoy the road,and always remember that your learning all the time.I used to have a Kawasaki 750,and some of the idiots I've experienced,nearly launched me into next week!
    Now I have a car,as I've responsibility,but those old days were fun.:D
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 18, 2005, 01:20 PM
    Riding a motorcycle can be extremely dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. If you're really interested in riding a motorcycle, go to http://www.msf-usa.org and look for the Rider Course info for your state. Take the MSF course. It will teach you all of the basics about riding a motorcycle and in most states you will be able to get your motorcycle license if you pass the test at the end of the course. The course usually takes a weekend and combines classroom work with actual riding instruction. Once you take the course you will know whether riding is for you.

As for that business about being too small to ride a bike, that's garbage. I know women who weigh less than 100 lbs. and they ride 800 lb. motorcycles with no problems.

Good luck and keep the rubber side down!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 18, 2005, 01:22 PM
    Cycle
    First they can be dangerous, of course so can football, sking, and taking a bath.

A motorcycle is dangerous several ways, first any accidnet is a lot worst than in a car, next cars don't look or see the smaller motorcyle rider often

Now anyone can ride a motorcyle, OK, you can't ride perhaps a giant Harley or a 1000 Honda, but you can find one the right size. Best bet is to find one that fits you right, go to a local dealer and try several on for size.
    dgainer1 Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Jan 6, 2006, 11:54 PM
    Lady harley
    Okay... I agree with a few points of the two previous posts. Educate yourself. Get qualified training. I also am 120lbs and I ride a HARLEY. I love the wind in my face, the freedom riding offers and the love of the open road so many other Harley folks ride for. One thing I do to protect myself is to never ride alone. Cars don't always see you. There is safety in numbers, AND loud PIPES save lives. VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!! Be safe, have fun.

God bless,

Dana

Jan 6, 2006, 11:59 PM
    Ooops forgot
    Forgot to mention that you have to ride a bike that YOU are comfortable with. A lot of us got our start learning on a small bike, on let's say a Honda Rebel, then graduated to a bigger bike with more power, etc. I personally don't like the Harley Sportser for me due to the weight distribution but I prefer a low rider which I find easier to handle. More expensive, but all around it suits me. You might find otherwise. To each their own. Good luck!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2006, 06:56 AM
    Big Bike
    Hi, crankiebabie,
    I agree with your Dad!
    Must be something else you can get interested in besides riding a motorcycle.
    I am not "putting down" motorcycles, as I had one once, when about 22 yrs old! Sold it after getting married.
    If you are going to get one, get a small one, a used one, to see if you like them... such as a 150cc, or something around there.
    Find out if being caught in the rain, having road film blown into your face, wearing a helmet, watching cars follow you too closely, hoping they won't run into you, dodging stuff in the road, etc, is your "cup of tea".
    Of course, there are good riding reasons also. Also, check out the insurance rates for a bike.
    Best of luck in your decision, and the suggestion about a riding course and instruction is very, very good.

Jan 8, 2006, 09:13 AM
    Motorcycle safety
    I don't personally believe we should live our lives not doing things that might be dangerous. If you really have a passion or desire to do something, within legal boundaries of course, then I think that you should. People have been injured and maimed doing every day ordinary things like mowing their lawns. High school sports, cheerleading, and even exercise is potentially dangerous. Riding a motorcyle does come with certain risks but there are ways you can protect yourself through education, training and being aware of your surroundings. The majority of motorcycle accidents are due to alcohol related crashes. While not all of us who ride engage in this activity, many do, thus they add additional risk to themselves. Anyone who drinks and drives any motor vehicle while impaired is taking on risk and is a danger to themselves and other drivers sharing the road with them. So following safe driving practices, wearing a helmet and being educated can help to ensure you will have a safe, enjoyable experience. Living your life in a bubble to avoid any risk or threat is simply not living at all. In my opinion.

God Bless,
    Dana

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search