Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2006, 02:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    Well I know here in the west, there was that one guy from BC (name escapes me) who was elected as a Liberal and then switched to being a Conservative.
    His name is David Emerson.

I think maybe he is just upset that he wasn't named to cabinet himself.
    Heheh. I think you are right.

He's already started on his child care promise, and I think that's a good sign that he's sincere! I think the press just enjoy finding fault wherever they can. It makes for interesting news.
    I agree. I do think the press needs a news story. Not only on his child care, but also on his GST. It looks like the budget will come out in mid/late March or early April.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2006, 05:43 PM
    David Emerson! Thanks CaptainForest. :D

As far as Emerson goes though, I forgot to mention, I don't think he should have been allowed to switch parties. In fact I think that whole party switching thing (Belinda Stronach or whoever) should never be allowed. They should resign their position first if they want to leave the party. People voted for Emerson thinking he was Liberal, and likely wouldn't have voted for him otherwise. Personally I'd feel really betrayed if the candidate I voted for switched parties right after the election.
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2006, 09:59 PM
    People voted for Emerson thinking he was Liberal, and likely wouldn't have voted for him otherwise. Personally I'd feel really betrayed if the candidate I voted for switched parties right after the election.
    I do see your viewpoint here, but I don’t agree.

I don't just vote for the party... I also vote for the candidate. I watch the local candidate debates and that makes up a big percentage of how I choose to vote. But party does play a role.

But Liberals Scott Birson and Belinda Stonach, both Conservative defectors, were both reelected with ease in their ridings come re-election time.

And Conservative David Kilgour who defected to the Liberals in 1993, was re-elected with ease in his Alberta ridding until his retirement.

So I think that even though he is not a Conservative, David Emerson will be re-elected in the 2007 Election.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2006, 08:34 AM
    Good points as usual, CaptainForest! Are you by any chance a political scientist? LOL. But seriously, I still think it's wrong... especially in this particular election where people's emotions were running so high on either side. At the very least he should have waited a few months before switching, or should have ran as an independent rather than a Liberal.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2006, 03:32 PM
    Good points as usual, CaptainForest! Are you by any chance a political scientist ?? LOL.
    Hehehe. No, I am not, although I did consider it.

But seriously, I still think it's wrong... especially in this particular election where people's emotions were running so high on either side. At the very least he should have waited a few months before switching, or should have ran as an independent rather than a Liberal.
    I agree with you Orange. What he did was wrong. And I think new policies should be set in place.

I don't think he should have to resign and run in a by-election, but perhaps, he should have to give back all the donations to his Liberal Campaign (which was like $100,000)

And I agree its not right, but many others have crossed the floor and they have be re-elected.

If I was a constituent in his riding, I would be happy. I would rather have my MP be a Cabinet Minister in the government, then be a member of the opposition.

But I am surprised Harper would go this route. I figured Harper would have tried to steer clear of this potential mess, but at the same time I can see the good points to it and that is what Harper probably was going for.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2006, 05:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    But I am surprised Harper would go this route. I figured Harper would have tried to steer clear of this potential mess, but at the same time I can see the good points to it and that is what Harper probably was going for.
    Yeah I'm surprised too... however, I hope the MPs stop fighting about it. That's was the last thing I wanted for this change of government, a bunch of arguments that get in the way of the actual governing we sorely need right now.
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2006, 11:01 AM
    I'm interested in what everyone thinks about the daycare issue. I'm somewhat conflicted about it. I have made the decision to stay home with my children, so the extra $100 a month is going to be most welcome. However, not every one can stay home, and if you need to place your child in daycare, $100 a month will not even nearly cover the cost. I heard that the Prime Minister has scrapped the Liberal's daycare plan. Is he putting any other plan in its place, other than the $100 a month allowance for families?
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2006, 04:36 PM
    Yes exactly, Mrs. Pennell! It works out to $25 a week, and you'd be extremely lucky to find a daycare that charges that per day, never mind per week. I hope there is another plan in place. Not everyone can afford to stay home with their children. Especially single moms! As usual, women, especially working women, get the short end of the stick!
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2006, 06:03 PM
    I'm interested in what everyone thinks about the daycare issue. I'm somewhat conflicted about it. I have made the decision to stay home with my children, so the extra $100 a month is going to be most welcome. However, not every one can stay home, and if you need to place your child in daycare, $100 a month will not even nearly cover the cost. I heard that the Prime Minister has scrapped the Liberal's daycare plan. Is he putting any other plan in its place, other than the $100 a month allowance for families?

In addition to the $25/week to parents, they Tories also promised in the election campaign:
    Another $250 million in annual tax credits to fund a community child-care investment program, which the party says will create 125,000 new child-care spaces over the next five years
    Source: http://www.ctv.ca/mini/election2006/...childcare.html
    mrs.pennell Posts: 132, Reputation: 21

Mar 4, 2006, 06:57 PM
    Not everyone can afford to stay home with their children. Especially single moms!! As usual, women, especially working women, get the short end of the stick!!
    I totally agree, Orange. It is very unfortunate that in one of the greatest countries on Earth single moms are stuck between a rock and a hard place. I know that here in Newfoundland minimum wage is 6.50. You cannot raise a family on that amount of money, let alone afford child care. So do these underemployed moms stay home and collect social assistance, or work and let someone else raise their children (at no financial gain). It is a sad state of affairs. I am lucky because that won't be my situation but it happens to so many. It is heart breaking.
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2006, 07:09 PM
    In addition to the $25/week to parents, they Tories also promised in the election campaign:
    Thanks so much for this information Captain Forest! I was wondering if they had anything else planned. We definitely need more daycare spaces.
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2006, 07:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs.pennell
    I totally agree, Orange. It is very unfortunate that in one of the greatest countries on Earth single moms are stuck between a rock and a hard place. I know that here in Newfoundland minimum wage is 6.50. You cannot raise a family on that amount of money, let alone afford child care. So do these underemployed moms stay home and collect social assistance, or work and let someone else raise their children (at no financial gain). It is a sad state of affairs. I am lucky because that won't be my situation but it happens to so many. It is heart breaking.
    Wow your minimum wage is even lower than Saskatchewan's! Ours was just increased to $7.55, but that's still not adequate, especially if you are supporting a family. Yeah the whole thing is very sad... I too feel lucky because I married a doctor, so even if we get divorced (which I hope not of course! ), I will most likely receive good child support. But unfortunately you and I are not the norm. And here's another sad fact which I just found out, and it really shocked me. My friend works in a women's shelter, and she told me that one of the main reasons that battered women go back to their husbands is because they are not able to get social assistance. When they apply, they are told to get money from their husbands, since they are still married. So it's easier to go back to their men, rather go through the cost of a divorce while having to work a low-paying job and putting the kids in unaffordable daycare.
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2006, 07:53 PM
    And the winner is... Nunavut @ 8.50/hr

Current Minimum Wage Levels Across Canada

Rank--> Jurisdiction------------> Hourly Rate----> Effective Date
    1) ----> Nunavut--------------> $8.50---------> March 3, 2003
    2) ----> Northwest Territories--> $8.25---------> December 28, 2003
    3) ----> British Columbia--------> $8.00--------> November 1, 2001
    4) ----> Ontario----------------> $7.75--------> February 1, 2006
    5) ----> Quebec----------------> $7.60--------> May 1, 2005
    6) ----> Saskatchewan---------> $7.55--------> March 1, 2006
    7) ----> Manitoba--------------> $7.25--------> April 1, 2005
    8) ----> Yukon-----------------> $7.20--------> October 1, 1998
    9) ----> Alberta----------------> $7.00--------> September 1, 2005
    10&11)-> Prince Edward Island---> $6.80--------> January 1, 2005
    10&11)-> Nova Scotia-----------> $6.80--------> October 1, 2005
    12&13)-> New Brunswick--------> $6.50--------> January 1, 2006
    12&13)-> Newfoundland---------> $6.50--------> January 1, 2006

I don't know about other provinces, but as of February 1, 2007, minimum wage will be $8/hr in Ontario

And orange, when you say that Saskatchewan's minimum wage just increased, you weren't kidding. It was only 3 days ago!
    mrs.pennell Posts: 132, Reputation: 21

Mar 4, 2006, 08:12 PM
    Wow Orange... that is incredibly sad. I can't imagine being abused for any amount of money but I don't have to look into the eyes of hungry children...

And wow... how nice to be tied for last in the minimum wage game! I wonder if we'll ever be a "have" province?
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2006, 09:08 PM
    and the winner is...Nunavut @ 8.50/hr

I don't know about other provinces, but as of February 1, 2007, minimum wage will be $8/hr in Ontario

And orange, when you say that Saskatchewan's minimum wage just increased, you weren't kidding. It was only 3 days ago!
    Thanks for the minimum wage stats, Captain Forest! I'm actually very surprised that Ontario and BC's minimum wages are not much higher than Saskatchewan's, because I know that the cost of living in urban areas such as Toronto and Vancouver is WAY higher than it is here, even if you live in one of the main cities (Saskatoon or Regina, or even Calgary for that matter). In Saskatoon you can get a decent apartment in a good area for $500 a month. Whereas my friend who lives in Vancouver pays close to $1500 a month rent for her tiny apartment in west Van.
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2006, 09:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs.pennell
    And wow...how nice to be tied for last in the minimum wage game!! I wonder if we'll ever be a "have" province?
    Well, don't give up hope! Saskatchewan recently became a "have" province, so if we can do it, so can Newfoundland! :)
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2006, 01:11 AM
    I'm actually very surprised that Ontario and BC's minimum wages are not much higher than Saskatchewan's, because I know that the cost of living in urban areas such as Toronto and Vancouver is WAY higher than it is here
    Back in 1995, Ontario's min wage was 6.85

The Progressive Conservatives were elected in 1995. They held power until 2003. One of the issues that came up in the 2003 campaign was the fact that min wage hadn't been raised in 8 yrs.

So the Liberals said they would raise it to 8/hr, NDP said 10/hr (no one listens to the provincial NDP here anymore) and then the Tories realized that Ont. Wanted the min wage increase, so they agreed to raise it to 8/hr as well.

The Liberals eventually won and set up a 4 yr plan to increase it to 8/hr. Every Feb 1, it goes up about .25. Now, 7.75…Feb 1/07, goes to 8.
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2006, 10:35 AM
    Well I think $10 an hour would be good... or even more than that! Especially for someone who lives right in Toronto. Hopefully it get raised again soon for you guys.
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2006, 01:20 PM
    So what do my fellow Canadians think about the interview with George Bush that was on CTV last night? I was worried I was going to be very angry, as I don't particularly like the Dubya and his foreign policies, but the interview was pretty tame. He was respectful and rather charming. He didn't say much of substance though LOL. No definite answer for the softwood lumber dispute or the border issues. Not that I was expecting anything major, haha.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2006, 01:24 PM
    When your approval rating is that low you can't take chances. :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Politics [ 3 Answers ]

Why and when did the Democratic states change from red to blue?

Canadian Immigration [ 5 Answers ]

I was a landed immigrant in Canada in 1994, but this was cut short having to return to the UK due to family circumstances. I was out of Canada for more than 180 days so was unable to return, does anyone know a way around this, have the laws changed to allow people like us to reapply successfully?...

Salon politics [ 1 Answers ]

I work in a very small salon and there are 4 other women in the salon besides me and my boss. I have always thought that we were all like a big family and today I called to see how many clients I had for tomarrow and one of the women there informed me that my boss (my friend) had a heart atack and...

View more questions Search