Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2006, 10:34 AM
    Thanks for reminding everyone to vote, CaptainForest! It's very very important and I second that reminder!

Well, as I think I said to you guys before, I voted NDP at the advanced polls. Mostly for the sake of my province, as the NDP have done a lot for Saskatchewan. Plus I still can't bring myself to trust Harper, regardless of his promises or his party's platform. Maybe if Peter McKay had been the leader I could have voted conservative... he seems more trustworthy to me. Plus the conservative candidate in my riding is WAY too right of centre for my tastes. Bordering on being an extremist, and has been accused of being racist, too. Whereas the NDP candidate is a farm rights activist, and farm rights are really important here. I didn't hear many promises or plans for the farmers this time around and that is really sad.

I've thought of running for city council myself. I took a year long leadership course through the Chamber of Commerce 2 years ago, and we learned a lot about city politics and how it works. I found it fascinating. However, I'm going to be a mom right away so that will have to be on hold for a while.

Good luck to you guys though if you decide to run at whatever level... munipal, provincial, federal... whatever! :)
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2006, 12:23 PM
    Vote!!
    Bump bump!

If you live in Canada, please VOTE today!!!

CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2006, 12:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    bump bump!

If you live in Canada, please VOTE today!!!
    I agree with Orange. VOTE TODAY if you haven't already done so.
    Although personally, I voted last week in the Advance Polls.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2006, 12:58 PM
    Canada

IF YOU LIVE IN CANADA

PLEASE VOTE TODAY!

IF YOU LIVE IN CANADA.

PLEASE VOTE TODAY!

OF COURSE THE BLUE REPRESENTS CONSERVATIVE FOR ME AND RED FOR CANADA, ALSO THE BLUE IS FOR TML
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2006, 01:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76

IF YOU LIVE IN CANADA

PLEASE VOTE TODAY!

IF YOU LIVE IN CANADA.

PLEASE VOTE TODAY!

OF COURSE THE BLUE REPRESENTS CONSERVATIVE FOR ME AND RED FOR CANADA, ALSO THE BLUE IS FOR TML

lol.

I feel like the NDP are being left out.

Vote for Jack, or Stephen....or Paul

But either way, VOTE
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2006, 01:04 PM
    What about the Green?

I guess they are used to it though. LOL

Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2006, 01:09 PM
    What about the Green?

I guess they are used to it though. LOL

hehe.

True.

We debated (for like 30 seconds) proportional representation in my class today. The Green will get 6% and no seats, the Bloc 11% and like 60 seats.

On another note, it looks like Harper will get about 150 seats (155 needed for a majority, so its close), and there is a chance that the BLOC might form the official opposition. Now, that would be fun to watch.

Purple, a neutral colour.
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2006, 01:13 PM
    Yes, the make of the house will completely be different this time around. I have to admit I think that there are more intelligent people leading the bloc then the liberals. It will be very interesting to see how everything turns out. I will be watching much tonight. Harper will be so close to a majority and well the liberals what can I say. Everything comes back in circles. Hopefully the concervative stick to their plans and do as much as they can especially issues about Crime, and corruption.
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2006, 01:18 PM
    I have to admit I think that there are more intelligent people leading the bloc then the liberals.
    The people running the Green Party are more intelligent than the Liberals. The Liberal campaign was just one bust after another.

I hope Harper keeps his promises, because if he doesn't, then I hope there will be hell for him to pay.

Although... some rumours are that Bob Rae, yes that Bob Rae, might run for the Liberal leadership if Paul Martin steps down. In that case, I think I would rather see a right wing religious leader run this country than Bob Rae.

And I will be watching the returns tonight. Most likely on CTV and Rogers Cable (for those 905 campaigns). I might also watch Global as well. CTV provides the best online internet coverage, so I am getting use to them.

Edit: In case some of you are wondering who Bob Rae is... he was the NDP Premier of Ontario from 1990-1995. The first and only NDP Premier of our province.
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2006, 01:38 PM
    And will be the last. So that shows us, that if he can not run a province. Imagine what he would do to the country? That is more scary to me then any right wing extreme concervatism.
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2006, 02:19 PM
    Who is Bob Rae and why is he so scary? If you guys would rather have a right wing extremist (or any extremist for that matter) in power in place of him, that's pretty damn scary! :eek:

What I wish - this could never happen of course, but I think it would be cool - would be for each party (other than the liberals) to get a turn to run the country as a majority, each for a year, like Bloc, Conservative, NDP, Green, etc... and see who does the best job. Maybe even the old Rhino Party could have a turn! ;)
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2006, 04:10 PM
    You do not know who Bob Rae is? Imagine every year different leader as majority now that is scary to. So many different changes every year, It might sound neat but would not work. I think that having manitory 5 year terms would be a start. I think that having the states where no leader can run for more then 8 years. That is the way it should be.

What do you think. It would be different to see how the green party would rule. The NDP, sorry no way. I would even consider the bloc but they have made it clear Quebec is there only interest, so if they were in power how would the rest of the country fair if they had a majority.

I
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2006, 01:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    Who is Bob Rae and why is he so scary? If you guys would rather have a right wing extremist (or any extremist for that matter) in power in place of him, that's pretty damn scary! :eek:

What I wish - this could never happen of course, but I think it would be cool - would be for each party (other than the liberals) to get a turn to run the country as a majority, each for a year, like Bloc, Conservative, NDP, Green, etc... and see who does the best job. Maybe even the old Rhino Party could have a turn! ;)

Orange,

Bob Rae was the NDP Premier of Ontario from 1990-1995. He was the first NDP Premier of the province, and he will be the last. He ruined the provinces economy. He had the charisma of Bill Clinton which helped get swept into power in 1990. But he was awful.

And the 1 yr/majority. That would be nice to see how each party would actually preform. But that posses problems as well. Such as the Bloc. They would give all this special interest to QC and would ruin the rest of the country.
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2006, 01:18 AM
    CONSERVATIVE MINORITY GOVERNMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best possible outcome possible. Let's see how Stephen is as PM.

Paul Martin resigned as Leader of the Liberal party... I am happy he is gone. But my human nature felt a bit sorry for him too. He was kind of like the bad kid who realizes he has lost everything because of his bad behavior.

And voter turnout was 65%. 60% in 2004. It was a good voter turnout. I think it is thanks to Orange, Jesushelper76 and myself for encouraging everyone to vote :P
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2006, 01:20 AM
    Mad Cow in Alberta... again.

And yet, this time America says they Won't close the borders. Hmmmm, I wonder why that is?

Hold on, I'm thinking. Oh, yes. Could it be because a Tory now runs the country? In the end, that is a good thing for the Canadian economy because another closure of the beef border would be bad for our economy.
    greenforest Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2006, 02:35 AM
    This can be the end of Canada
    This can be the end of Canada
    Mr Harper is a pro American style type with the health plan and fighting the crime similar way.
    My work related travel to US showed me a big picture of this country and I'm really concern about became another big state of it .
    Canada is the very safe place to live ,I can walk ,run everywhere in this country at any time .
    On US streets even I'm in my friends opinion kind of brave guy I'm really afraid to walk or do my routine jogging .
    Nobody will believe me but I can take him and show the huge areas of when you can be shut just for fun or the gang initiation rules
    I have been in some poor countries but what I have seen in States is devastating .picture.How people live there.
    The recent picture which I have on my mind is Beaumont, Texas near Exxon .
    I was chase up there by the car and push to the fence .In Gary near Chicago same story .The housing was much worse then in Cuba
    Everybody get angry for very soft sentences for crime in Canada ,myself too but magically this work .US have a capital punishment and more prisoners than people with college diploma .
    There are prisons and prisons and very high crime.
    Health care is not accessible for 50 million people and the pollution is real bad.
    There are plants where people work for 7 days .
    There is also rich America according to the American dream you can achieve you goals and be rich but locked in you cage as I see .
    If you have to avoid places because is danger there is no freedom for me .
    Now conclusion ,Canada was a safe country with health care plan for everybody ,education ,and peace.
    What Mr Harper is going to bring ,gradually all the best doctors will move to the private hospitals ,he will start to fight with crime because it will grow ,for him there is only big business counts which will create o lot of poor communities and crime.
    Army will grow and cost and we will start to participate and share action.
    (here I agree with US policy of fighting terror and really support their effort )
    Finally, please don't take me wrong as you read my comment .
    I like American people ,its still the country of opportunities but like better Canada the way the Canadian way not Mr Harper Way.
    PS as you see English is my second language ,sorry for some errors
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2006, 07:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    Orange,

Bob Rae was the NDP Premier of Ontario from 1990-1995. He was the first NDP Premier of the province, and he will be the last. He ruined the provinces economy. He had the charisma of Bill Clinton which helped get swept into power in 1990. But he was awful.
    Oh okay thanks for answering my question. I likely wouldn't know who Bob Rae was because I just started getting interested in politics recently, and I don't know much about Ontario... I know a lot more about what's going on in the west. Plus I was 11 years old in 1990!

Interestingly enough, around the same time, my province also had a premier who ruined our economy and was very corrupt, and he was conservative! So I don't think the actual party matters in the grand scheme of things. Any of them can be a nightmare, if the wrong people are in power.

I'm happy with the election results too. I think a minority was the best possible outcome here.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2006, 07:11 AM
    I am happy with the outcome too. My only fear is that he cozies up to Bush too much.
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2006, 07:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    Mad Cow in Alberta...again.

And yet, this time America says they WONT close the borders. Hmmmm, I wonder why that is?

Hold on, I'm thinking. Oh, yes. Could it be b/c a Tory now runs the country? In the end, that is a good thing for the Canadian economy b/c another closure of the beef border would be bad for our economy.
    You're probably right there! And it is a good thing. But it's pretty creepy of the States to do that. It shouldn't matter who the prime minister is.
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2006, 07:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    I am happy with the outcome too. My only fear is that he cozies up to Bush too much.
    YES I hope not! Bush is way beyond scary IMO!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Politics [ 3 Answers ]

Why and when did the Democratic states change from red to blue?

Canadian Immigration [ 5 Answers ]

I was a landed immigrant in Canada in 1994, but this was cut short having to return to the UK due to family circumstances. I was out of Canada for more than 180 days so was unable to return, does anyone know a way around this, have the laws changed to allow people like us to reapply successfully?...

Salon politics [ 1 Answers ]

I work in a very small salon and there are 4 other women in the salon besides me and my boss. I have always thought that we were all like a big family and today I called to see how many clients I had for tomarrow and one of the women there informed me that my boss (my friend) had a heart atack and...

View more questions Search