Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ldt51 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2007, 09:30 AM
    Finding a bad phone jack
    All my pnoe jaccks have no dail tone.I have about ten in the house ,I did to know how I would find out which one is bad,I believe this line is what is referred to as a piggy back since I have just one line for all jacks.I have allreay checked the nic box and there is a dail tone there just not inside the house. Thank you for any help you can give me.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 12, 2007, 09:49 AM
    LD,

When I see the term "NIC" I read it as Network Interface Card. What exactly are you referring to?

Most phone companies that I know of uses what it called a Demarcation box on the outside wall of the house. That is where the phone line comes into the house. The customer's side is normally hinged so that you can open the connection from the phone line and remove any inside shorts. You should do that for all of the extension blocks you installed now.

When you checked for tone on the line, how did you do that? Did you use a "Bust in" or voltage checks. You should see a +48 VDC in an idle condition. This is your battery.

How did you do the inside of the house. Are the 10 jacks connect in series with each other or in parallel?

Lastly, have you considered calling the phone company's repair services to correct any wiring mistakes.

Also just for safety's sake, are you aware the "Ring cycle" can drop as much as 600 VAC at the connection point of the ringer. So be careful, please.
    ldt51 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2007, 10:09 AM
    Phone jackproblem
    Thank you for your answer. I should have said the box out side .I checked it with a corded phone like the phone company said and I had a dail tone there .I didn't in the house.According tto them if I had one bad jack then none of them would work.I jusst need a way to check which one is bad and I know next nothing about electrical stuff. And thank you again for you time.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2007, 06:48 AM
    Phone company likely will not know inside wiring. Unplug all phones, then try phone in jack, the one that worked outside, With test jack plugged back in at D Marc.
    Call your house with Cell or neighbors phone. If it rings busy, pair is likely shorted, If it rings and rings, it is likely open.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to rewire a phone jack [ 4 Answers ]

I need some help. This house had at one time two different phone lines. We now have only one phone line working. I need to find out how to rewire one of the jacks that was hooked up to the other number. The phone company is going to charge us $120 to come out and do this, but they tell me that...

Rj 31X phone jack [ 4 Answers ]

I just bought aRJ 31X phone jack which is supposed to allow my father in laws life line system to dial out even if his phone is off the hook. I need help hooking this into the existing phone line.

Problem w/ phone jack [ 5 Answers ]

I want to put a phone in my bedroom, but the phone jack just doesn't work! Is there anything I can do to like, "activate" it or something?

How to rewire a phone jack? [ 2 Answers ]

When I moved into my house the original owers had comcast for the phone co, so we went with them. Later on we changed back to qwest for better service options and they came out and rewire one of our phone jacks and at the time we only had them to the one in the kitchen and now I need to get 3...

Re wire phone jack [ 1 Answers ]

We are getting another phone line in kids room how do you rewire the jack

View more questions Search