Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1onamission Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2007, 08:59 AM
    Military Retirement!
    I have been in the military for over 20 years and have been married for 17 of those years and separated not legally but separated from my wife for 7 of those 17 years of marriage. Is there any rulings out there that are justifiable to a sense of not having the spouse receive half of a military members retirement benefits. This is the most lopsided ruling that there could ever be. Some current spouses even receive military retirement from former spouses that have been wounded in combat. Where is the fairness in that and what if any law discusses issues of this sort?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 12, 2007, 09:10 AM
    Check with your JAG office.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2007, 09:15 AM
    My understanding is that the spouse can reasonably expect 30% of your retirement. Why didn't you divorce her before you retired? It would have been more difficult for her to collect on your pension.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retirement for military spouses [ 1 Answers ]

A lady to whom I met the other day, was explaining to me that her husband spent 26 years in the army,and is now deceased, and all she gets is 96.00 a month , is this right, is this all this poor 78 year old lady gets after her husband retired fro the military with 26 years under his belt? Thank...

Military retirement spouses benefits [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I devorced my husband in 1999 and am receiving only 21% of his army retirement why? We were married for 20 years, someone figured it out to be only 5,000 some odd days and that is not right. What do I do?

Investing for retirement from the military [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Gunnery Sergeant in the Marine Corps with just under five years to retirement. Early on in my career, my wife and I began investing in separate IRA's through Pioneer investments (PINDX). We also invest monthly in a regular taxable fund (the same one). We started our investment in 2001...

View more questions Search