Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brandicole2007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2007, 08:37 AM
    Quitting smoking
    I have quit smoking 6 weeks ago and now have severe night sweats, every night. Is this normal?
    Thank you
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Dec 12, 2007, 09:28 AM
    I have heard this from several people I know who've quit, including my mother.

GOOD FOR YOU! Quiting is very hard (I know) so keep up the good work! Things like night sweats can be annoying and at times hard to deal with, but its worth it in the long run as your body will become healthier every day. :)
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2007, 06:19 PM
    Oh yea, totally normal, Been off cigs for 3 weeks now, can sleep, sweats, leg cramps, total discomfort, all of the above, and still the urge to just have "one", hang in there, it does get better, but it's the lesser of the cig evil. I'm feeling more confident, symptoms change day to day, keep you mind off it, read, jog, sweep, shovel snow, walk the dog... you get my drift, you have to keep you mind and fingers busy.
    mseik Posts: 40, Reputation: 6

Dec 22, 2007, 10:11 AM
    First of all, congratulations!

Secondly, severe night sweats every single night this far into abstinence isn't unheard of, but I'm going to encourage you to talk to your doctor. Maybe a preliminary phone call to let them know how long you've been abstinent and what your daily/nightly symptoms and severity are would be a really good thing to do.

I wish you the very best.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2007, 10:22 AM
    I could not sleep for weeks... I was highly addicted to cig's since I was around 12. It was a nightmare... I would dream of smoking. Hang in there,I quit in 1999 and still do not smoke. Yes, every once in a while I get a craving but not too bad. Remember to breath in deeply, breath in your nose with mouth closed and expel out your mouth breath deep let the oxygen get to your brain. Do this a few times when you get the urge to smoke... you will be surprised at how much it will help. Good Luck I'm rooting for you.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2007, 04:04 PM
    I quit smoking and had *severe withdrawal symptoms* for three days immediately following my last cigarette. After that, I did better and maybe a month or so later, I was pretty much OK.

I had a couple of things going for me... I didn't have to drink coffee, and I didn't drink alcoholic beverages. Those are two habits that go with smoking and make it difficult to quit.

I used to intentionally remember what kind of person I was before I was a smoker, and that really gave me all kinds of positive impetus. In addition, I was a born again Christian at the time and my ladyfriend was on my case to give up smoking. My positive feelings toward Christianity at the time also made quitting easier.

All the literature I have read indicated that nicotine is out of one's system in a month or so, I forget exactly. The psychological component of smoking hangs on...

So, six weeks... THE WORST IS OVER!! Congratulations. YOu can do it. Stay away from smoking related activities for a few months at least. :) Add something to you life to replace smoking... like meditating... vigorous sports.

Best wishes going forward,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quitting smoking [ 11 Answers ]

Time to share all of your tips and techniques. I am a 19 year addict and my husband is a 10 year addict. We both are quitting together, cold turkey. Any suggestions?? Hypatia:confused:

Quitting Smoking? [ 11 Answers ]

Okay so, I want to quit smoking, the thing is, I smoke when I am bored, so to quit smoking I would need to find soemthing else to do with my hands instead of smoking. A friend of mine, she quit smoking and now she eats when she is bored. I don't want to eat all the time... I think I need a hobby...

Hypnosis for quitting smoking [ 11 Answers ]

I am thinking of trying hypnosis to quit smoking. Has anybody tried it, or had it work for them. I'm going to go to a session in July to see what it's all about. I want to quit smoking and I've heard that there are a lot of things to help, I think that to change your behaviour you have to change...

Quitting Smoking and its associated Drama [ 25 Answers ]

Hi, I wasn't quite sure where exactly to post this question so I took the liberty of reasoning that surely since it regards my health then why not in this section. I am a caucasian male in his late twenties who has,lets say, sometimes succumbed to lifes guilty pleasures and is noticing a effect...

Quitting shoplifting [ 6 Answers ]

I'm not sure if I'm in the right section to ask about shoplifting, but here I go. I used to shoplift regularly, and I have gotten in a lot of trouble doing it. I have been to jail for 30 days , and am now on diversion for 2 years. Im finally done with shoplifting and will never do it again, but...

View more questions Search