Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Navycruzer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2007, 07:24 AM
    Professional Simulation
    I just can't figure out this problem can someone please help me with this simulation problem?

Norwel company manufactures miniature circuit boards used in wireless phones and personal organizers. On January 2, 2006, Norwel purchased a circuit board stamping machine at a retail price of $12,000. Norwel paid 5% salestax on this purchase. Norwel paid a contractor $1,400 for a specially wired platform for the machine, to ensure non-interrupted power to the machine. Norwel estimates the machine will have a 4-year useful life, with a salvage value of $2,000 at the end of 4 years. Norwel uses straight-line depreciation and employs the "half-year" convention in accounting for partial-year depreciation ( that is, it takes a half year of depreciation in the first year of an assset's useful life). Norwel's fiscal year ends on December 31.

Questions:
    1.) At what amount should Norwel record the acquisition cost of the machine?
    2.) What journal entry should Norwel record in 2006?
    3.) At what amount will the machine be reported in Norwel's balance sheet at 12/31/07?
    4.) On July 1,2008, Norwel decides to outsource its circuit board operations to Boards-R- Us Inc. As part of this plan, Norwel sells the machine (and the platform) to Boards-R- Us for $ 7,000. What is the impact of this disposal on Norwel's 2008 income before taxes?

This is the only homework problem I just can't figure out in this chapter can someone please help me out with this one?
    Smith21000 Posts: 69, Reputation: 9

Dec 12, 2007, 08:05 AM
    The following should give you a good idea on how to go about calculating questions 1 and 2. "Costs that are capitalized upon acquisition are any reasonable cost involved in bringing the asset to the and incurred prior to using the asset in actual production. Examples include sales tax, finders fees, freights costs, installation costs, breaking-in costs, and set-up fees." Lets get are cost basis correct and we can go from there!
    Smith21000 Posts: 69, Reputation: 9

Dec 12, 2007, 08:07 AM
    I missed the word "buyer" in my original answer, it should read like this. "Costs that are capitalized upon acquisition are any reasonable cost involved in bringing the asset to the BUYER and incurred prior to using the asset in actual production. Examples include sales tax, finders fees, freights costs, installation costs, breaking-in costs, and set-up fees." sorry for the confusion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Capstone business simulation [ 1 Answers ]

Just wondering if anyone has any experince with the capstone business simulation and can give me some help and pointers to get through it. I have completed practice rounds and will be starting real rounds next Monday and am pretty lost.

Capstone Business Simulation [ 3 Answers ]

Has anyone heard of this simulation program? Better yet, has anyone participated in/completed it? It is part of my senior seminar and I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me some information and or guidance... Management training & Business Education at Management Simulations -...

View more questions Search