Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bionical Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2007, 11:08 PM
    Always Thirsty
    Hello,

My question has to do with drinking water. I drink quite bit of water during the day but still feel parched most of the time. I recently had someone tell me the same thing about the water from my drinking tap.

I have a water filtration system that cleans everything from contaminants to fluoride out of the water. From the street it's filtered through a chacoal water conditioning system that used potassium as a brine for filtration. It then passes through a fluoride filter into the house where it then passes through a reverse osmosis system for drinking.

I am wondering if all this filtration is the cause of my feeling thirsty all the time? Am I missing something that the unfiltered water provided that I need to supplement? Maybe this is a science question.

Sincerely
    Bionical
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2007, 11:41 PM
    Water is just as satisfying and thirst-quenching when it's very filtered..

Have you been tested for diabetes/hypo/hyperglycemia? My cousin was thirtsy all the time, went to the doctor, turns out she has a sugar/diabetes type issue.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2007, 11:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bionical
    Hello,

My question has to do with drinking water. I drink quite bit of water during the day but still feel parched most of the time. I recently had someone tell me the same thing about the water from my drinking tap.

I have a water filtration system that cleans everything from contaminants to flouride out of the water. From the street it's filtered through a chacoal water conditioning system that used potassium as a brine for filtration. It then passes through a flouride filter into the house where it then passes through a reverse osmosis system for drinking.

I am wondering if all this filtration is the cause of my feeling thirsty all the time? Am I missing something that the unfiltered water provided that I need to supplement? Maybe this is a science question.

Sincerely
    Bionical
    I don't remember enough science to give you a solid answer on the filtration. I'm worried though because it could be something else causing you to feel thirsty. Too much sugar in your blood, in particular. The simplest fix would be to buy bottled, try distilled water first. If your diet is adequate, food supplies minerals and salts you might be getting in water (with the exception of fluoride which is more important to children with growing teeth.) If you feel less thirsty drinking distilled water, it may well be that your tap water is doing something it shouldn't. If you still feel parched in a day or two, go to your doctor with your thirst. They can test you and rule out diabetes.

Medications can also cause you to feel "dry." Are you on any new meds? Anything that clears up sinus congestion can make your tongue feel like cardboard. Diuretics, that cause the body to shed excess water will make you feel thirsty too. There are many foods that act as natural diuretics and can make your body shed water, cucumbers for instance. Good luck to you.
    Santi Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Dec 15, 2007, 08:24 PM
    If you don't add minerals to your water, you run into quite a bit of trouble. Himalayan sea salt, in particular a product called sole (pronounced solay) is a great addition to filtered water.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2007, 08:51 PM
    Adding salt to your water will only make you more thirsty.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2007, 09:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie
    The simplest fix would be to buy bottled, try distilled water first. If your diet is adequate, food supplies minerals and salts you might be getting in water (with the exception of fluoride which is more important to children with growing teeth.) If you feel less thirsty drinking distilled water, it may well be that your tap water is doing something it shouldn't. If you still feel parched in a day or two, go to your doctor with your thirst. They can test you and rule out diabetes.
    I am not positive, but I am under the impression that the brine solution you mentioned with the potassium implies potassium chloride or some other form of salt in the softener. It might be that you are experiencing your thirst because of that. I really like the idea above to try to determine if that is the cause for you.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2007, 07:22 PM
    It could be an electrolyte imbalance and you might want to alternate and drink some Gatorade type drinks occasionally.
    Or it could be a thyroid problem. You might want to get tested for diabetes asap too.

How to Drink More Water Everyday - wikiHow
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2007, 09:06 PM
    Get your blood sugar tested tomorrow! Diabetes is a horrible, nasty disease, the leading cause of blindness in America today. It also results in amputations. My dog guide work has lead me into other visually impaired issues.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 09:08 PM
    I agree with most of the above answers. Polydipsia (excessive thirst) is a common problem with diabetics.

Do you find that you have to urinate often (polyuria), or do you tend to eat a lot (polyphagia)?

Please make a doctor's appointment ASAP.
    Annemieke Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Dec 30, 2007, 01:14 PM
    If it's not diabetes, could it be lack of magnesium? See the 'Magnesium' paragraph in THE TASTE TESTS
    Success - Annemieke.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2007, 02:12 PM
    I doubt it is magnesium deficiency. If your water is filtered you maybe need to check your sodium/potassium electrolyte balance, or you might need to add trace minerals to the water.
    For electrolyte imbalance you can take potassium and taurine include magnesium if you want.
    Or get a product such as this
    Trace Minerals - Products

Epsom salts are not good to take if you are pregnant or nursing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog is always thirsty & pees in crate [ 2 Answers ]

My dog is crate trained and has always been very good. In the past week, he has been peeing in his crate and is always very thirsty... what is his problem?

My cat is blood thirsty- ahhh! [ 2 Answers ]

My roomates are always accidentally letting my cat outside. The little sneak is quick. He always comes back so that's not the problem. The problem is he torments little animals and birds. I know it's nature, blah blah, but he kills birds, mice, rabbits,etc. One time he brought back a baby rabbit...

View more questions Search