Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shardea dula Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2005, 04:51 PM
    Why am I always be sitting on the bench a lot?
    Hey,

I'm new and oldcoach I have a question. Why am I always be sitting on the bench a lot? I'm 15 years old and I'm a sophomore and I been playing basketball for three years and this is my 2nd year playing J.V. girls basketball and I play small forward and guard and I really need help on my basketball skills. My parents and one of my team mates told me that I really I need to talk to my coach about not playing and so I call my coach thurdays and I ask her why haven't I been playing the past 4 games and she told me that she afraid to put me in game because of offense and that I need to know the plays. But she didn't say anything about my defense, but I do the know the plays and I get upset when I don't play and I practice my hardest like everybody else and I play the first 3 games. So How can I become a better player.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 17, 2005, 05:23 PM
    I'm new and oldcoach I have a question. Why am I always be sitting on the bench a lot? I'm 15 years old and I'm a sophomore and I been playing basketball for three years and this is my 2nd year playing J.V. girls basketball and I play small forward and guard and I really need help on my basketball skills. My parents and one of my team mates told me that I really I need to talk to my coach about not playing and so I call my coach thurdays and I ask her why haven't I been playing the past 4 games and she told me that she afraid to put me in game because of offense and that I need to know the plays. But she didn't say anything about my defense, but I do the know the plays and I get upset when I don't play and I practice my hardest like everybody else and I play the first 3 games. So How can I become a better player.

First it is just a fact that some people have more ability than others naturally. Next the Amount of practice one does effects things.
    And in the end if you are not first string, it is hard to become first string since those that are already better, unless they stop practicing just get better also.

How do you get better, private tutor, just like you would to get better in math or sceince, Go to a basketball camp. And in the end live, sleep, and be basketball.

The mail issue is just to be the very best player you can. You may sit on the bench every game for the next two years, but you can still say you did your best. And you then also are there to be available when the chance happens for you.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2005, 06:07 AM
    Benched
    Hi,
    Fr_Chuck gave some really good answers. I got the "pass it around...." when trying to show approval for his answers.
    I agree with everything that answer said.
    Even though you are good at it, there are those who are better players. If you want to play every game, find someone who can help you with the offensive plays. Others are better at it, and that's why they are playing.
    Maybe one of your friends who is good at plays with offense, can help you, show the "ropes", and practice with you.
    Don't give up hope. Hard work is what it takes, and even then, we have to sometimes accept the fact that maybe we do need to work harder at it. My daughter played basketball in jr and high school, and practiced a lot with her friends. She was also in the band. She put many hours a week into both.
    I do wish you the best of luck.
    shardea dula Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2005, 04:25 PM
    Hey

Thank you and god bless u both. Can anybody give more about offense plays and postions about small forward and guard and give me any sites about it.
    Air J Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Dec 30, 2005, 07:07 PM
    Okay I played SF last year. You got to be the player who can do everything! Its just that simple, well to improve on your plays just ask the coach what your odign wrong. I was gone and we learned new plays and I got them wrong so I just asked him after practice(everytiem I messed up I did push ups plus killers)
    Clo23 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2006, 06:58 AM

Well all right. I am 16 years old, and I have had a turn sitting the bench as well girl. Although in 04' on JV I started and was team captain, JV *Junior varsity is just getting you ready for Varsity, the big stuff. This year on varsity I did not play nearly as much as I did on jv, and I was mad too, but what I am doing now, is working out with my coach 5-6 times a week and my best friend who has a full ride to college for ball. And next year I guarantee I will be starting because of how bad I want it. If you really want to not sit that bad, you need to have confidence, and determination. Stop calling the coach and just show her, also work MORE then the girls do in practice, work afterwards or in the off season, if your school has AAU join that, and become better. Calling the coach and complaining will not get you anywhere they look at the kids consistently trying to get better, and if they see that in you I guarantee you will sit less. Also if she is worried about offense, SHOOT! Shoot right, get the technique down, dribble do everything in your power to help your game, get what you want and you will be ready for varsity. Good Luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any good bands a lot like these... [ 6 Answers ]

hey, I have been listening to good charlotte for the past year or so, on my 256mb mp3, and now I'm going to get a video iPod 60gb. So I decided to expand my music collection. I just got some nirvana, my chemical romance, my bloody valentine and mudhoney songs, but none of them like good...

A shower bench [ 1 Answers ]

We are replacing a bench in a shower and want to use concrete blocks. Is there any weight limit that might avoid damage to a shower pan?

My Socks Stinks a lot [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I am a new bie here all the way from kathmandu, Nepal and don't know whether I'm posting it in the right topic. My problem is my socks stinks a lot and it really letting me down. It is very sameful. Please help me what I suppose to do. What is it actually and how I can get rid of it?

View more questions Search