Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hbh Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2007, 08:53 PM
    How could I look and act older?
    How do I look and act older, when I look young and my voice is young?

No one takes me serious and I'm a cosmetologist, so clients are like your not old enough or say are you experience enough or your just so young looking.
    I've changed my hair completely, way shorter and way darker.
    We wear black and white.
    I just don't know what to do?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2007, 09:08 PM
    I'm a guy so what do I know...

You could always wear "fake" glasses... cute ones that do nothing other than make you "look more serious"... I think dressing well can make a big impression. A few great outfits, even if pricey, might project "successful"...

Can you give any incentives to customers for referrals? I know a girl who is just 21, cosmotologist, and she's getting a lot of business word of mouth... good work speaks for itself... so hang in there if nothing else... in time you will get the business you want if your work is good.

But like I said, I'm a guy... so what do I know? If anything, I just bumped your thread to the top of the "new" list so others with a better opinion will see it.

Dec 11, 2007, 09:15 PM
    Thanks for your info.
    Where could I get some fake glasses? Lol. I really thought about that, I just couldn't find any.
    But you I know it takes at least 3 years to get a good clintel. My mom, cousin and uncle do hair.
    OlivesNCream Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Dec 11, 2007, 09:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hbh
    thanks for your info.
    where could i get some fake glasses? lol. i really thought about that, i just couldnt find any.
    but ya i know it takes at least 3 years to get a good clintel. my mom, cousin and uncle do hair.

You might be able to find something online that isn't too pricey. Try googling it or checking overstock.com or amazon.com or even eBay!

As for the clientel part-- if your mom, cousin and uncle all do hair as well, perhaps they could help with passing the word around to give you a little bit of a boost? Just a thought.

Dec 11, 2007, 09:23 PM
    Oh yes they do a lot.
    Its just in our family they already do most of them. Lol. They have helped me a lot though.
    So your saying a book on how to look older or to get clients?
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2007, 09:47 PM
    I go along with the clothing and outfits you wear. You might have to give up the hot and cute look that you might like, or the popular one to find a more professional appearance... unless of course you want to cater to the single guys then the reverse might work... One idea for you might be to go to local photographers and offer a great deal to their customers before they have their pictures taken... you might even be able to consult with people way in advance of their weddings so that they could get comfortable with how you do hair... so they could feel comfortable having you do their weddings... when it all has to be just right... offer the photographer referral fees maybe or a great incentive to tell about you... they might do it just for an extra service to their clients... especially if you are willing to travel to different locations? Just some ideas...

Dec 12, 2007, 09:29 PM
    Thanks for the ideas. Anything helps. So you think if I went to talk to a photographer that could put my name out to there clients or something? I live in a small town and my salon is too, but I'm sure there are some close by. Bujt about my look I have a boyfriend for 2 years so however I look he doesn't care. But I just cut all my hair off and dyed it dark because they told me dark hair makes you look older, but if you heard my voice everyone says ill never be old because of it. To tell you really I should like a 5 year old that's whatever one says. But thanks again for your ideas.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 12, 2007, 09:34 PM
    OK I am looking at the photo, assuming that is you, you have a outfit that is 'younger' dress more professional. Look at your make up, go to a stylist that can work on giving you a better look. A good judgment if you see someone 14 wearing what you wearr, it is wrong.

Dec 12, 2007, 09:42 PM
    I wasn't dressed for work then. I just had on a tanktop getting ready. Lol. I have people all day tell me stuff I could do to look older so I changed my hair and makeup already. And we all at the salon wear black and white. But thanks.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 12, 2007, 09:43 PM
    Is there a community college in your area? Check about free or low-cost speech classes or sessions from one of the speech teachers. Changing the pitch, the tone, and the volume of your voice will make you sound older.

Only once has my youthful looks worked against me. When I was 43 and a counseling student, one of my internships was with a Center for Aging, i.e. a large senior center. I drove to area homebound seniors' homes to help them resolve family or personal problems. One of the women I visited was 86 and was upset that the Center had sent such a young counselor.

Enjoy being and looking young. It will work to your advantage when you get older.

Dec 12, 2007, 09:53 PM
    Thanks. A lot of people tell me that too. Its just for my career that I'm a cosmetologist it doesn't help much for me to look younger because of my clients might think. I just try my best to look older now that I'm starting my job. Thankss.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 12, 2007, 09:55 PM
    Why doesn't it help much for you to look younger? Be the best darn cosmetologist in town and no one will think you're too young!

When I graduated from college and taught third and fourth grades, the kids thought I was a new kid on the first day of school. That changed fast!

Dec 12, 2007, 10:04 PM
    I know a lot of people tell me that too. Its just for my career as a cosmetologist sometimes my clients think I'm young and its just how they think, but I always try to seem older now that I have my job and I like it. I want to do the best I can to.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 12, 2007, 10:06 PM
    Dye your hair grey and get it permed into little curls??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marry older man?just a little older! [ 13 Answers ]

:confused: someone keep telling me that it is good for a girl marries a man who is a little older than her! Cause older man knows more how to take care of others,how to respect others... but for young men,what they care about is themselves only!Is that true?I was thinking about that for many...

If your older sister dies are you now the older sister [ 1 Answers ]

The ? Is if your older sister or brother was to die does that make you the older brother or sister later on in life.

Dating someone older [ 7 Answers ]

I am a 15 year old girl and I am dating a 17 year old guy. He is turning 18 in may... when he turns 18 will it be illegal for me to be dating him? I turn 16 in November.. :confused:

Help with older daughter [ 7 Answers ]

My daughter-25 years old moved back in with my 2 grand children. She rarely helps with dishes, laundry or general cleaning. I am afraid to say anything for fear of her taking the kids to an unsavory environment... what to do?

Older dog [ 11 Answers ]

I am struggling with an older dog in my household. He is 17 so I am lucky he is still around. It is a male schnauzer. He eats with no problem, but goesn't always take the medication that he needs of 5 pills in the morning, and 4 in the evening. If he is hungry, he will devour them with his...

View more questions Search