Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Dec 17, 2005, 01:23 PM
    Maxtor External Hard Drive
    Hello everyone,

One of my clients has an external hard drive with all of their Quicktime video files loaded onto it. These video files were captured in an iMac (one of the newer all-in-one units). We wanted to see if the external hard drive (Firewire connection) could be hooked up to the PC here in order to transfer the files to a DVD.

I know there is an obvious difference in operating system, but the PC here won't recognize the hard drive when plugged in. Windows makes its "ding" sound when plugged in, but I cannot locate the hard drive anywhere. I've tried restarting, searching for new hardware, etc... but nothing!

Is there something else I must do?? I've never messed with an external before... so new stuff for me! Thanks!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 17, 2005, 01:33 PM
    Nope it won't work as Mac's use a different file structure.

Your best bet would be to burn them or put them on the network, both using a Mac.
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Dec 17, 2005, 02:18 PM
    I was kind of thinking along that line, but I know that "nowadays" things are more compatible with each other...

I guess we'll have to do otherwise! Thanks a lot for your help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Transfer speed from computer to external hard drive [ 44 Answers ]

I just transferred 4GB from a folder on my computer to a USB2 external hard drive and it took 45 minutes! From other transfers, it seems like this is way too long. 1. Is there a "standard" transfer speed that I should expect from a transfer like this? 2. Would doing other things on the...

External hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

Freecom External Classic Hard Drive, 153 GB Available. Attempted to “Microsoft Backup” my Laptop (approx 40GB of data) to External Hard Drive. After about 10 minutes of operating I got the following Message – “You have either run out space or the backup file (.BKF) is too large for...

Won't recognise external hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

My computer won't recognise an external hard drive. I plugged it into the usb port (I have no firewire port) and then turned on the power supply and as far as my computer is concerned the drive isn't even there Help?! Thanks

External hard drive partition inaccessible [ 2 Answers ]

2 partitions on my external 120gb HD have become inaccessible. Their names now appear to be "Local Disk", and if you try to access them you get an error message. http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/11865/0/s.JPG The drives F and H in the picture above are the ones having the problem....

View more questions Search