Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abaker14619 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2007, 02:24 PM
    Want to take landlord to court
    I was wondering is it a breach of contract when there are two landlords that own a property together but one landlord signed the other landlords name on the lease
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 11, 2007, 02:26 PM
    Depends on the nature of the partnership between the two. The thing is the injured party in that case would be the other landlord. They would have to bring suit. I don't think you would have any legal standing in that matter.

Why not tell us the full story?
    abaker14619 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2007, 02:53 PM
    Want to take landlord to court
    What happened was every month I paid my rent on time and I had a lot of problems with this house. First they lied about not having rodents. Then my hot water heater kept going out for two months. Then the toilet was leaking which caused my water bill to go sky high, and I gave a 725.00 dollar security deposit and I got 212.02 back. He does not want to help my pay the water bill even though it was his toilet that was leaking. My sons wall was falling and I want a lot of my money back. Also he entered my house to show the house while I was in surgery and I did not give him permission. But one of the landlords forged the other landlords name on the lease. But they were both the landlords of this property so why could he have not signed his name instead of the other landlords name. Would that or would that not be a good case against them. Oh and I have pictures
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2007, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by abaker14619
    what happened was every month i paid my rent on time and i had alot of problems with this house. First they lied about not having rodents. then my hot water heater kept going out for two months. then the toilet was leaking which caused my water bill to go sky high, and i gave a 725.00 dollar security deposit and i got 212.02 back. He does not want to help my pay the water bill even though it was his toilet that was leaking. my sons wall was falling and i want alot of my money back. also he entered my house to show the house while i was in surgery and i did not give him permission. But one of the landlords forged the other landlords name on the lease. but they were both the landlords of this property so why could he have not signed his name instead of the other landlords name. Would that or would that not be a good case against them. Oh and i have pictures

Did you report these problems as they were occurring or are you first raising the issues now?

How do you know one landlord forged the other landlord's name? If they are joint owners this doesn't really make sense.

Were you evicted or did you leave?

I think I need more info - ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 11, 2007, 04:36 PM
    Those signing don't make any difference, since both accepted and acted on the lease.

Sounds like a bad landlord, you can take them to court, a lot depends on the proof you have, photos, statements and so on.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 11, 2007, 04:46 PM
    No, the issue of the landlords signing the lease would not make any case against them. Don't even raise that issue.

However, if you can document the other problems you might at least get your deposit back.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 11, 2007, 04:55 PM
    not on face value, just one signing would be all that is needed, also the other may have had poa to sign for the other.

Also even if none of them signed but acted upon the lease by allowing you to enter into the property it still can even be valid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Received court summons in my door and have 2 weeks to court date [ 9 Answers ]

I received a summons on my door for a $5,000 debt to american express. Lawyer office is about 1 1/2 from my home... I am willing to pay the debt, do I have to show up for court? I am going to be out of town and won't be around on the court date... can I call the attorney's office and settle the...

Debt Court Summons -- If I pay in full, can I avoid court? [ 5 Answers ]

I realize a lot of people post questions regarding debt summons and I've scrolled through the boards but I haven't found a clear answer to a few of my queries. Here's what happened: I was today presented (they slid it under my door) with a summons to appear in court. I'm being sued by Capital One...

I don't know if I can take my landlord(owner) to court [ 6 Answers ]

3 years ago I moved into a small apt. complex. I have 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. After living there for a month I found out that the owner has a coin washer and dryer down in the garage and I'm paying for 6 families to wash through the electricity. After confronting her she only would pay 50.00...

Taking my landlord to court [ 3 Answers ]

Novi Michigan If I take my landlord to court and I loose will I have to pay his/her court costs

Taking ex-landlord to court [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know Texas laws about air-conditioning? We moved into a rental house in July and found out the air conditioner didn't work. We informed the landlord in writing and verbally. Many people came out about the unit and said it needed to be replaced. In the mean time we bought a bunch of...

View more questions Search