Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    023701 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Honda Civic transmission
    I have a 98 Honda Civic for which I have replaced 3 transmissions in 9 months. It works for a while and then the Check Engine light comes on. It is usually another while before it periodically will all of a sudden rev up and not move while driving. The code always says it it the transmission, but it seems like it is not getting gas.

Any ideas? It can't be the transmission.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2007, 12:42 PM
    What code does it give you? Is the TCM good? Does the engine start and run normally?
    023701 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2007, 12:46 PM
    P0700 (Transmission Control System Malfunction) & P0740 (Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction) are always the code. I have them put in another transmission and the same problem keeps coming back.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2007, 12:53 PM
    The problem might not be with the transmission but with the Transmission Control Module (computer).
    Jrock Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2007, 11:17 PM
    I just purchased a 1998 honda civic ex with 116 k miles. The car drives and shifts fine. But I have the same codes as (023701) codes P0700 and P740. Question for 023701 is does your civic have any driveability issues or shift problems. Also please keep me updated on on the status of your civic I will do the same.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2004 Honda Civic LX Automatic transmission problems [ 6 Answers ]

MY 04 Honda civic has been making ticking/clicking sound. It doesn't make the sound when the car is idle. Or when the clutch is pressed on. Only when the clutch is released. As the car goes faster the sound gets faster. People are telling me it may be the throw out bearing but wouldn't it be...

94 Honda Civic Transmission [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having problems with my 94 honda civic, everything was working fine before but then the radiator broke, we fixed the radiator got new head gasket etc. So now I drive and the transmission doesn't shift to 4. It goes to 3 but before it's going to shift to 4th it stays neutral. The car also...

Honda civic 2001 auto transmission Slips? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a auto transmission 2001 civic that intermittently skips or hesitates coming out of first gear... but only the first time is comes out of first upon starting the car up. Basically, almost every time you get in the car... pull out of a parking space etc... the car takes and long "pause"...

Civic transmission lubricant [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know what is the transmission lubricant capacity of a 1998 Honda Civic DX, 5 speed manual transmission. I want to change out the lubricant in the transaxle, and I need some idea of how much lubricant to buy. :)

Transmission Fluid check for 94 Honda Civic [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible that the transmission fluid level needs to be checked when the vehicle is shut off? I have check while running ion park and the entiore dipstick is covered, up to the rubber plug. However, when the engine is off (engine hot) there is no fluid on the dip stick. The Haynes manual...

View more questions Search