Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PeachesJCB Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2005, 09:41 PM
    Urgent Need For Help for Passport for people with Dual US/Swiss Citizenship!!
    I am traveling to Mexico in about a month (February 15th, 2006) and I have dual citizenship (Swiss and US). I've never traveled outside of the country except for my Swiss birth 20 years ago. How do I go about getting a passport and would I use a Swiss passport or US passport? I am totally lost on the subject! I looked on Travel.state.org but I don't have over $170 to shell out, HOWEVER I want to make sure that I get this taken care of as soon as possible. I need help fast! Any suggestions?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 16, 2005, 09:51 PM
    Passport
    First I strongly object to the idea of dual citizenship, you are either one or the other, sorry my opinion.

You need to get a current up to date passport either way, one though the swiss embacy or the other though the US.

Depending on where you are traveling, many places being from the US is not the best thing, so swiss would give some level of safety, but on the other hand you may have some issues getting back into the US with the swiss. You actually need both ( which is my best suggestion)
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2005, 10:06 PM
    Here is a question for anyway who knows:

To travel b/w Canada and the US, all I need is a birth certifacte and phot id.(that is, until Dec 31/06 for planes and Dec 31/07 for ground until I need a passport).

What are the laws of travelling b/w US and Mexico? I know that when I was in San Diego, CA and went into Mexico for the day back in 2002, all I needed was my birth certificate and photo id.

Has the US law changed on that front yet?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US/Swiss Dual Citizenship [ 4 Answers ]

I am travelling to Brazil in a few weeks. I am wondering if I can enter and exit the US on a US passport but use the Swiss passport to enter and exit Brazil. I ask because Brazil does not require the application for a tourist visa from Swiss citizens, but it does require a visa for US citizens. ...

Dual Status -- Urgent [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have mixed signals for my tax preparation so far. Am from India... Jan 1 - Sep 31, 2005 - F1 (Opt from Jan 27) Oct 1 - Dec 30, 2005 - H1 Left for vacation to India from Dec 17, 2004 to Jan 14, 2005.

Swiss Citizenship [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I was wondering how hard it is to obtain a Swiss citizenship, if you are not born there and don't have family members there. How long does it take? Is it ture you have to live there for 12 years before you can even apply? Is there a more quick way, like joining the military or something?...

Dual citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

I am a French national and a permanent resident in the US. My husband is American. Apparently, there are tax advantages to my becoming an American citizen. What are the consequences, if any, from the French government's point of view of obtaining US citizenship? Has anyone gone through this...

View more questions Search