dednuff4life Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2005, 08:02 PM
    Need Advice, Feels promotion was robbed
    Thanks for all your input
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2005, 08:59 PM
    Comments:

First, use WHITE SPACES. That was way too hard to read. If you break them up into paragraphs, it makes it much easier for a person to read.

Now on to your problem.

You ask if politics were involved? Perhaps. Question, who got promoted? Someone else from the company or someone from outside the company was brought in?

Is your boss keeping your at your current employment so he can look better? That is very possible.

You say you won't quite your job over something so little. Getting past over for promotion if you are unqualified is one thing, but being the most qualified person and getting passed over is another thing.

However, do NOT quite your job UNTIL you have another job to go to. Preferably one in management.

One last thing...
    You said, "I was told by my boss i really outdone the other applicants on the interview process and my qaulifications"

I suggest you talk with your boss. Communicate with him. Ask him point blank why you weren't promoted if, as he said to you, you were the best applicant?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 16, 2005, 10:01 PM
    Promotion
    There is no such thing as promotion based just on merit.

Personality, clubs one belongs to, outside of work activities can all have an effect. Even things that are illegal to use, sex, race, gender issues while are not told as reasons still effect a lot of hiring and promotion.

And often people are hired or promoted because of friendships, favors owed someone and the list could go on and on.

And often people are hired from outside the company for promotions since they will not have friendships to deal with for employees under them.

Never quit a job without another job to go to. ( unless the phrase do you want fries with that does not bother you)
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Dec 16, 2005, 10:34 PM
    It is possible that they believe you were not quite ready for the position but still has very strong potential to be one. If that is the case, it is natural for them to do what they did. I recommend that you take this in positive light and go with the program. Your management probably meant well.

If you are quite young, be patient in these matters. Employees with good work ethic and people skills will bubble up to the top sooner or later. There are too many employees who are in too much hurry to get to the next level that they often forget to acquire knowledge and experience they need. Very oten, they will reach certain level and fail.

From an experienced manager.

Dec 17, 2005, 01:14 AM
    Well thank you
    Actually I found out it was not them who decided, it was pannel after them... so I basically acted like a child, I learned a valuable lesson about crying wolf... but thank you for your input.

Dec 17, 2005, 01:14 AM
    Well thank you
    Actually I found out it was not them who decided, it was pannel after them... so I basically acted like a child, I learned a valuable lesson about crying wolf... but thank you for your input.
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Dec 17, 2005, 01:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dednuff4life
    i learned a valuble lesson about crying wolf.
    Good for you. Good luck to your career (b/c good work ethic & people skills may not be enough sometimes :-))

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage smell in bathroom - feels like we've tried everything [ 2 Answers ]

I've read through several of the posts on this site and have done numerous searches across the Internet. So far, no luck... About a week ago we noticed a strong sewage smell coming from the toilet in our powder room. After cleaning the bowl with bleach (thinking it was bacteria), the smell was...

Advice on Giving Advice [ 16 Answers ]

Hey all! I have a slight dilemna and I'd like it if you guys and gals can help me out. I have two friends who are in a relationship together, but things have become kind of rocky between them. The problem is that they are both my friends so they both confide in me and ask for advice. At present...

My heart feels like it is "gurgling" [ 4 Answers ]

In the past 3 months my heart "gurgles", literally. Like when bubbles come up from the water . The first time it happened I was walking up a hill after eating, the gurgling lasted a 20 min severely, then it kept up for 12 hours, then it was over. Since that it happens about 10 times a week for...

Need advice... [ 11 Answers ]

Ok guys, first of all you'll excuse my english. I'm a foreigner but I've found this board very valuable... Here's my situation. I'll try to be as short as possible.. I've been with my (ex?) girlfriend for almost 6 years. We used to be very close, everything went almost perfectly, we had at...

View more questions Search