Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    douapuncte Posts: 31, Reputation: -6

Jan 10, 2008, 12:55 PM
    There is a difference between not believing in god and not wanting to believe in god,DEAR FANCY.I don't refuse to believe in god,I just know that there is nobody or if there is somebody he doesn't give a thought to us.I can rule my own world,I don't need a master to command me.Grow up,stop hiding behind gods and stuff,the ancient romans believed in many gods,where are their gods?What makes your god real and others a fake?It's easy for a weak mind to be influenced by others.Come on dud,"He doesn't interfere with mortal decisions",HE JUST REJECTS THE ONES THAT DON'T DO AS HE SAIS.WHAT IS THAT, A JOKE.HE INTERFERES OR NOT.HE DOESN'T TELL YOU WHAT TO DO,HE JUST READS FROM HIS MANUAL OF PUNISHMENT.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 03:57 PM
    There must be some guidebook or website or maybe a church lesson out there that tells people of faith how to "convince" people without faith that they actually HAVE faith by using the "gold in some location" example and yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah.

It's an argument that has been presented time and time again, and has been discussed (at length) on this very website time and time again. It's semantics. It's perspective. In the end, it doesn't matter. I don't care if you think I have "faith" in this that or the other thing. I don't care if you think I secretly believe in a god. I don't care what label you put on me. Call me an agnostic, I won't throw a hissy fit, promise. So there you go, give yourself a tic in the "win" column because it's just not worth explaining AGAIN.

And it's all off topic and just screaming "troll".
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Jan 10, 2008, 04:03 PM
    Here is a thought experiment. I say I am a god who has come to earth how do you prove me wrong? Can you show absolute proof? If you aren't able to show absolute proof shouldn't you worship me and pay me tithings just in case? I'll answer any questions you non-believers in me might have, I won't even send you to hell for doubting me, at least not yet anyway.
    Love-Life Posts: 32, Reputation: 4

Jan 10, 2008, 09:50 PM
    I think if a union of athiests was created, it would do nothing but debunk everyone else's religions being that they'd have nothing else to talk about. I too am atheist, which I think are coming up more in my generation being that people are becoming more educated than the generation before. Its really not needed. The only thing we'd have in common is NOT believing in something, the opposite reason of why people band together, because of a common belief
    KalFour Posts: 332, Reputation: 46

Jan 10, 2008, 10:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello:

I'm an atheist. However, I've never found the need to bond with other atheists. Indeed, in my view, an organization for atheists is an anathema to atheism. In fact, I don't believe there IS an atheist organization. Simply put, they don't exist.

Besides that, a very good reason of why most atheists would never dream of joining an atheistic organization is because most atheistic organizations are not atheistic at all, they're shills for ideological commitments other-than-atheism.

And when I say other-than-atheism, I of course mean self-described leftist organizations. Humanism, vegetarianism, identity politics, and all sorts of patent nonsense go under the umbrella of atheism, as any jaunt around the net or an appearance at your local atheist organization will show you.

These are organizations designed to get you to DO something. Don't buy what they're selling. They're NOT atheists. True atheists don't want YOU to DO anything. What they really want is to be left alone.

No?

excon

Right... there are so many posts that I won't read through them all, just respond to this first one.
    Ok, if you just want to be left alone and don't believe in anything, that makes you agnostic. An atheist is someone who has devout faith in the NON-existence of God. An agnostic simply doesn't care about whether God exists.
    And I'm not sure that vegetarianism could qualify as a leftist organisation. I'm a vegetarian (and I don't believe in God, but I don't see any link at all between these 2 things), but it's not as if I sought out other vegetarians and started a club to promote our way of life... I don't know many other vegetarians. I think you're just trying to hard to pigeonhole everything.
    Love-Life Posts: 32, Reputation: 4

Jan 10, 2008, 10:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fancyT
    I dissagree i there are two kinds of people
    1) those who believe there is a god
    2) those who dont know there is a god.

Those who proclaim there is no god are making a claim based on faith not fact therefor they are egnostic because they dont know for a fact that there is no god
    Watch the movie Zeitgiest and you will get your proof. Christianity is a plagerism of Eygptian religions, which were around B.C. The story of Jesus's life is almost exactly the same as numerous other "God's Suns". Rulers a long time ago, not long after Jesus apparently died, used "god" as a way of control over societies. Hmm and if Jesus was alive, why was there no documents of him from ancient writers from his time. Because there IS publications found from authors around his time, which lived not too far from where he was, and there was NO account for him AT ALL. Being that he walked on water, cured the sick and rose back from death. Which in fact, HAS NEVER HAPPENED. Funny that people can rise from the dead back then, and cure blindness, when we can't even do that today with our technology. People like you are a good example of how brainwashed and gullible the people of the world are. You're controlled by your religion and you can't even see it, its sad. Well that's what the jurisdiction wanted, and that's what they got.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 10:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fancyT
    ...I do choose not to believe in the tooth fairy due to the fact that i later found out that my mother is the one who put money under my pillow and not the tooth fairy, so i know for a fact that my mother was behind the whole tooth fairy thing and that is why i can say with confidence i dont believe in the tooth fairy.
    FancyT, What if I told you to believe that you could walk on the ceiling. Could you choose to believe?

And, likewise, could you choose to believe in the Tooth Fairy, despite your experience suggesting that there isn't one?

If you are right that all belief is a matter of choice, then you should be able to believe both of these things. (Truly and in your heart. Obviously, just saying you believe doesn't count!) Could you?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2008, 10:43 AM
    asking,
    fancyT is, um, no longer a member of the site.
    KalFour Posts: 332, Reputation: 46

Jan 11, 2008, 06:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Love-Life
    Watch the movie Zeitgiest and you will get your proof. Christianity is a plagerism of Eygptian religions, which were around B.C. The story of Jesus's life is almost exactly the same as numerous other "God's Suns". Rulers a long time ago, not long after Jesus apparently died, used "god" as a way of control over societies. Hmm and if Jesus was alive, why was there no documents of him from ancient writers from his time.
    I think you'll find that the Egyptian religions and Christianity sprang up around the same time (but before Christ was born, it was Judaism), so neither is a "plagerism" of the other. Just because there are similar ideas doesn't mean that one stole from the other. The teachings of Jesus are very similar to those currently being promoted by the Dalai Lama, but it doesn't mean that Buddhism and Christianity stole the ideas from one another. Most religions share a lot of ideas, prophecies, moral values and ideals.
    And there are documents that suggest that Jesus was a real person. I personally don't believe that he was the son of God, but he could quite easily have existed all the same.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 06:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    asking,
    fancyT is, um, no longer a member of the site.
    Oh. I'm embarrassed. :o
    I guess I missed a cue.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Jan 11, 2008, 06:47 PM
    [QUOTE=parttime]
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1

Sorry Galveston1, I didn't mean "no", I meant very little mention of God in any of the writings of out founding fathers. I've been looking, and since you said a study of our history would show, I thought you might have some useful info. Thanks
    Religious Affiliationof U.S. Founding Fathers # ofFoundingFathers % ofFoundingFathers
    Episcopalian/Anglican 88 54.7%
    Presbyterian 30 18.6%
    Congregationalist 27 16.8%
    Quaker 7 4.3%
    Dutch Reformed/German Reformed 6 3.7%
    Lutheran 5 3.1%
    Catholic 3 1.9%
    Huguenot 3 1.9%
    Unitarian 3 1.9%
    Methodist 2 1.2%
    Calvinist 1 0.6%
    TOTAL 204
    NOTES: The table above counts people and not "roles," meaning that individuals have not been counted multiple times if they appear on more than one of the lists above. Roger Sherman, for example, signed all three foundational documents and he was a Representative in the First Federal Congress, but he has been counted only once.

In the table above, some people have been counted more than once because they changed religious affiliation from one denomination to another. Thus, the individual amounts
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Jan 11, 2008, 06:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by douapuncte
    There is a difference between not believing in god and not wanting to believe in god,DEAR FANCY.I don't refuse to belive in god,I just know that there is nobody or if there is somebody he doesn't give a thought to us.I can rule my own world,I don't need a master to command me.Grow up,stop hiding behind gods and stuff,the ancient romans believed in many gods,where are their gods?What makes your god real and others a fake?It's easy for a weak mind to be influenced by others.Come on dud,"He doesn't interfere with mortal decisions",HE JUST REJECTS THE ONES THAT DON'T DO AS HE SAIS.WHAT IS THAT, A JOKE.HE INTERFERES OR NOT.HE DOESN'T TELL YOU WHAT TO DO,HE JUST READS FROM HIS MANUAL OF PUNISHMENT.
    It's obvious that you have never seriously read His Manual. Jesus Christ is called "the lamb slain from the foundation of the Earth" That is God's expression of love for mankind, not a "manual of punishment. P.s. why are you yelling? You sound like a religious fanatic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Atheist and the Bear [ 3 Answers ]

=: The Atheist and the Bear := An atheist was walking through the woods. "What majestic trees! What powerful rivers! What beautiful animals!" he said to himself. As he was walking alongside the river, he heard a rustling in the bushes behind him. He turned and saw a 7-foot grizzly ...

Innovative Clubs and Organizations [ 2 Answers ]

Hello fellow internet-ers, I am quite new to this website, however, I have a pending question. I am interested in getting involved in a club pertaining to the arts, leisure, etc. I'm wondering if there are any specific organizations that would stand out on a college application, as I am planning...

My best friend in the whole world is atheist. [ 29 Answers ]

Omg I'm in complete shock. Me and my best friend ever are brothers (might as well be). And I moved away and we both have had hard times since then. And we are depressed. I was just told by his girlfriend that he is aitheist. I don't know what do to really. I can't believe it. I mean we are...

View more questions Search