Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jesika89 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2007, 09:04 PM
    What's a good duck to have
    Just want some ppls opinion on which species of duck is better as a pet and why...
    OlivesNCream Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Dec 10, 2007, 09:13 PM
    ^^;; you'd be wanting to look for certain duck 'breeds' not species [as 'species' signifies the actual type of animal you are looking for... dog, cat, rabbit... etc... ]

In any case I can't say that ducks make excellent pets in general--however, if you are certain to get one as a duckling, you may have more of a chance of it warming up to you and becoming an actual pet.

Indian Runners== are very cute. They're generally a brown color and sometimes have a stripe down the back in a darker brown or black color.

Pekin-- These are all white ducks-- think of those Aflac Insurance commercials that had the white duck waddling around quacking 'Aflac!' all of the time.

Rouen--- They grow up to look a lot like the Mallards [the sort that had green heads, a white band around the neck, and a brownish body].

They're among the more popular breeds that one could find on a farm and are considered 'domesticated'
    OlivesNCream Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Dec 10, 2007, 09:39 PM
    Oh you're welcome =)

For trying to determine the gender of the duck you have, try going to this website:
    The Classroom @ The Coop

It seems to have a specific way to try and tell if a Muscovy duck is male or female. As for males being more aggressive than females, I'm not entirely sure. My thoughts would have been that the females would be more protective because they are the ones who lay the eggs, and will be protective of their unhatched ducklings. However, perhaps drakes are territorial... I'm not really certain of that.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2007, 08:39 PM
    If you are looking to be a good citizen as well as looking for pets, you might want to look through American Livestock Breeds Conservancy - Conservation Priority List . It's a site that lists traditional breeds that are in danger of dying out. I don't know if any of the ducks listed would make good pets, but they are interesting to read about.
    jesika89 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2007, 09:20 PM
    Thanks! A lot the problem is where would I get them
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

Jan 4, 2008, 04:16 AM
    The ducks listed I am sure you can buy the eggs from eBay if you are willing to incubate them otherwise contact the eBay sellers of the eggs most of them are businesses that sell young ducks etc...
    There are also places like mcmurrys hatchery (can also be found on ebay) I think its us based which sells ducks and poultry

Good luck
    Katie
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Jan 4, 2008, 04:55 AM
    I had a wild duck (I'm sure it came from some farm or somewhere though, lol)... have looked at the pics and can't tell which breed it was, looks most like a mallard (but had more color). There was a little stream behind my house... and the duck appeared from no where. It stayed around for quite a while... became very friendly, even let me pet her.
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

Jan 4, 2008, 04:57 AM
    Do you have a pic you can post here , perhaps people may be able to tell you what breed it is ,

:)

Katie
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Jan 4, 2008, 05:02 AM
    Unfortunately not... this was about 10 years ago... I have looked through most of the pics and Mallard would be the best I could guess... same head, but body had a little more color (green and I want to say purple-ish). I felt so bad when I moved... it was winter and the duck was not around... I was so scared that she would show up in the warmer months and no one would feed her. She wasn't mine, but I had grown so attached to her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What's a good reason to get an ear piercing? [ 12 Answers ]

My mom says the only way I can get a piercing is that I can give her a good answer. Im 14 and can't get a piercing. What's a good answer?

What's A Good Gift To Give My Boyfriend? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello everyone! Me and my boyfriend have been going out for 4 months, and he is moving to another state. I won't see him for a year(so yes he is coming back). I really love him a lot! But I don't know what to get him 4 his goodbye present which makes me feel like I'm a bad girlfriend if I don't...

Duck eggs [ 4 Answers ]

One duck egg in our yard is alive. My family does not want to keep it but wants to take care of it until it is ready to live on its own.What to ducks eat?:confused:

Whole Duck [ 6 Answers ]

Any tips or recipes on how to prepare duck. Thank you!

Limp Duck [ 1 Answers ]

A woman brought a very limp duck into a veterinary surgeon. As she lay her pet on the table, the vet pulled out his stethoscope and listened to the bird's chest. After a moment or two, the vet shook his head sadly and said, "I'm so sorry, your Duck, Cuddles, has passed away." The distressed...

View more questions Search