Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joecozz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2005, 06:58 AM
    Shower doors & deco tile
    :confused: I'm installing a bypass (2 sliding doors) bath and shower door on a 5ft tub. Problem is that I have decorative tile molding wrapping the entire bathroom including the bath tub enclosure, and the deco molding sticks out (not flush with wall tile) about 1/4 inch so the side rails (wall jams) of the door unit will not be flush against the walls. What can I use to notch out the jams on the door unit that won't leave the install looking like a "butcher job?" Or, is grinding down the deco tile the correct way to go?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2005, 09:40 AM
    Caulk and trim are the carpenters' 2 best friends. How wide is the decro molding, and is it at both the top and bottom? You might add an aluminum strip matching the doors sawing or filing notches to fit over the molding. You will need to caulk behind the strip or door frame, and can cover up any gaps left. Maybe just cut the door frame itself.

I don't know about grinding the trim down. Wear Goggles. Put a masonry blade in a portable saw rest the heel below the trim, pull the guard back, and rotate the saw to cut the trim down. Any excessively deep cuts will be hidden by the door frame.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Dec 16, 2005, 11:27 PM
    Two words: shower curtain.
    I wouldn't cut the door trim because when you close the door there will be a gap that water may exit through. Grind down the tile in the area of the trim w/ an angle grinder w/ a diamond blade. Done it, it works.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower tile replacement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My wife wants me to replace the ceramic tile in our walk in shower. It has white grout that she has a hard time keeping clean, plus she dosen't like the tile. The shower walls are the standard cultured marble type. Its on a slab and does not leak. My question is can I just take out the old tile...

Custom Tile Shower? [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning on putting a custom shower in my basement and was not sure on how to handle the floor. The plumbing is roughed in but inside the shower is just a flat concrete floor ( the floor was cut to add the drain.) I feel I need to add some slop to the drain. I heard of a dry mortor bed but...

Tile and a shower unit [ 1 Answers ]

I'm in the process of remodeling my basement, and have turned my efforts to the bathroom. I’m going to be installing ceramic tile on the floor (the kind that looks like slate) and I will be installing a 1 piece 4x4 gel coat shower unit. My question is what comes first? Do I tile the floor...

Installing new tile on top of shower pan [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to be installing tile over durock cement board which sits on the top edge of my shower pan and just slightly over hangs into shower pan. Should I rest the starter row of tiles down on the cultured marble shower pan which has a 1/2 in lip or should I leave maybe 1/8 gap and if so what do...

Going from tile to insert in basement Shower [ 3 Answers ]

The shower stall is 30 deep by 31 wide and the drain is not in the middle of the stall. There is a couple of inched difference between the bathroom floor and the shower floor. I assume there is some kind of base that will need to come out when I tear the tile out. Does anyone make a muti-piece...

View more questions Search