Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    colmk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2007, 03:52 PM
    Jpegs outlook express
    Hi All,
    I had to transfer the hard drive from one computer to another and I can't find photos from the old hard drive that were stored in my outlook express. Are the photos stored in a different format in outlook express i.e not jpegs? If so what format is it and is it possible to find it by searching the hard drive?
    The new computer had a new outlook express in it - the old computer got poisoned bgy a virus and had ground the old outlook express to a halt and I couldn't get anyone to cure it and was advised to just get a new computer!
    Thanks
    Colm
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Dec 11, 2007, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by colmk
    Hi All,
    I had to transfer the hard drive from one computer to another and I can't find photos from the old hard drive that were stored in my outlook express. Are the photos stored in a different format in outlook express i.e not jpegs? If so what format is it and is it possible to find it by searching the hard drive?
    The new computer had a new outlook express in it - the old computer got poisoned bgy a virus and had ground the old outlook express to a halt and I couldn't get anyone to cure it and was advised to just get a new computer!
    Thanks
    Colm
    Colm, the JPGs in your OE were typically email attachments, correct? Also, what do you mean you transferred the hard drive? This means you you added it as 2nd drive to another PC OR you installed it as a primary drive on another PC? What methods, if any, did you transfer the OE data?

If the 1st option is true, did you export/import the emails to/from the new OE?

What versions of OE were/are you using?

P2E
    colmk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2007, 04:47 PM
    Dear P2E
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm afraid someone else did all the work for me and I don't have him by my side. But I will try to answer your questions.
    1. the jpgs were attachments on emails
    2. the hard drive from the virused computer was added to the new computer - as an extra drive
    3. I don't think any data from old OE was transferred - but I still have all the addresses so I couldn't be sure.
    4. And didn't import/export any of the old emails to the new OE (again as far as I know.
    5. I don't know what version I was or am using. Old computer was bought in 2001 (roughly) and the new computer is around 2 years old.
    I hope this helps you.
    And thanks so much for taking time out to help me in what may be a futile search.
    Take care
    Colm
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Dec 13, 2007, 06:14 AM
    No prob, Colm... so your issue was resolved and you were able to retrieve your pics? :)

P2E

Quote Originally Posted by colmk
    "I'm afraid someone else did all the work for me and I don't have him by my side. but I will try to answer your questions. "

Colm
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Dec 14, 2007, 08:07 AM
    I don't use OE but I'll offer my 2 cents...
    Find out where OE is storing the mail files on your new hard drive. The OE mail files will be in a similar location on your old hard drive.

I think to find where the files are stored on your new drive you could here in OE:
    Tools > Options > Maintenance (tab) > Store folder (button)
    That would probably point to something like:
    C:\Documents and Settings\-your login id-\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{B***}\Microsoft

If you old virus ridden drive is drive E then I would go to:
    E:\Documents and Settings\-your old login id-\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities

You could very well see several directories, look for .DBX files.

In OE go to File > Import and you should be able to import the dbx files you found.

HTH

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mcrosoft outlook and outlook express [ 3 Answers ]

I am not able to understand the concept of MS outlook and outlook express.I want to know the difference.And how to use outlook as I am a beginner.

Outlook Express to Outlook conversion gave messages wrong "Date Received." [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, All! I used Outlook's Import capbility to import everything from Outlook Express: mail settings, folders, their messages, etc. The import process reported successful import of my huge sets of folders, subfolders and their 11,000+ messages... however: The Good: Some messages were...

Outlook Express [ 2 Answers ]

When I send e-mail messages that have an attachment or vidio the people receiving Get numerous copies which state ( warning not virus scanned) . This does not happen with normal letter typle e-mails. Thanks.

Outlook express [ 1 Answers ]

How do I retrieval Compact email

View more questions Search