Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mztchik Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2007, 03:03 PM
    Should I put all past employers while conducting a background check?
    I just got a job with the county and they are going to conduct a background check on my past employers. I just took another job 2 weeks ago and I do not know whether I should tell them about this employment. Should I also tell them about other jobs where I only lasted 1 week- 1 month? If I do not tell them, can they still find out and will it affect me?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 10, 2007, 03:38 PM
    If you have nothing to worry about, just tell them.
    Ren Radio Posts: 31, Reputation: 6

Dec 10, 2007, 08:29 PM
    As an owner of 2 small businesses I can tell you this:

If one of my new hires had taken another job shortly before taking a job with my company, I would want to know it. It likely wouldn't affect my willingness to hire them... since I don't begrudge anyone the opportunity to work.. but I would be particularly interested if they gave the other job proper notice, and how they conducted their exit with the other job. Additionally, I would be curious about why they did not mention their current employment earlier. Just an FYI.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 10, 2007, 08:31 PM
    In this day of computer searches, and things if they do a good search, they will find some most likely, and you will and can get fired a lot faster by not giving them what they ask.
    BOSSMAN1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2007, 07:12 AM
    Comment on tickle's post
    Could give more information answer is to short and direct
    Expert

Dec 14, 2007, 07:20 AM
    Bossman, if you have a better answer, and good advice, then chime in. I am sure it will be appreciated.

tickle
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 14, 2007, 07:24 AM
    I would definitely list all jobs within the last 5 years. Prior to that I would just list related jobs back for 10 years. I would then ask the employer if they wanted more.
    Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 04:14 PM
    Judykaytee, why did you give me a disagree, you are agreeing with what I said. Which was to tell the truth. I said 'if you have nothing to worry about, just tell them', and you said 'give the correct info'.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Background check [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am natalija. Have a record of shoplifting and received provincial offence notice, and I plead guilty and paid the 500 Dollars, but should not appear in the court. Now I got a job offer from the private company but according to them ( a private and a very company) "once you have...

Background Check? [ 5 Answers ]

Hey, I have a theft charge. I got defered ajudification if that's how you spell it well that means I never get convicted charged and it will only say pending for a year then dismissed for two years then completely gone after 3 years. But I Want a job and I am not sure what will come up when they...

One year on job & now employer conducting criminal check [ 14 Answers ]

I've been on my job for over a year and now my employer asked me to fill out a criminal background check.. I have a felony from 21 years ago.. I omitted on my application that I ever had a arrest record.. what are my options.. go ahead and quit before I get fired? Will I be able to collect...

Background check [ 4 Answers ]

I was arrested for theft of items that came to a total of $210. It was a misdomenor (sp) I went to my first court date and the judge entered a plea of not guilty for me, I go back to court next week. My question is, I am starting a new job and they will be running a background check, will this show...

Can a misdemeanor from the past effect me now due to a criminal background check? [ 3 Answers ]

I received a misdemeanor for possession of marijauna. I had to seek a lawyer and go to court where the judge told me that I was on a year parole and if I didn't get into "trouble," the conviction would be expunged from my record. I am appyling for a job and want to know if this will appear on...

View more questions Search