Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    avel Posts: 199, Reputation: 0

Dec 16, 2005, 12:10 AM
    Online file storage..
    Is there any "not trial but free" online large file storage out there my files is about 700MB - 1GB in size... :D
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 16, 2005, 01:10 AM
    Yep there sure is.

Gmail from Google can be used for just the purpose.
    If you need an invite PM me and I'll arrange one for you.

You must bear in mind that an upload of that size will take HOURS!!

As a side, this type of question would be better posted in the Technology boards rather than here ;)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2005, 04:10 AM
    Great idea for a freebie!

... except that your ISP may limit the size of your outgoing mail... so check into that before you try sending a xxMB file or folder.

... and you might find organizing them and accessing them easily may be a bit of a hassle.

There's a lot of "online file storage" sites that charge money, as you know, but a cheap (not free) alternative to them would be to get web hosting and ftp files to your server.

GoDaddy has 5GB for $75 every two years (or $43 for per year).

[I don't use them, so don't endorse them for site hosting]
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2005, 04:54 AM
    Free 1 gig Storage
    HI,
    Here is a link to a free storage site for up to 1 Gig:

http://www.esnips.com/signin/index.jsp

Personally, I think you would do better if you have a CD-R or dvd burner in your computer. You can burn your files to a dvd or CD-R. My own CD-R burner was less than $50 US, and I keep all my backup files in that manner.
    Best of luck.
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2005, 05:01 AM
    Good find on the freebie, fred!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2005, 05:12 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks, rickj.
    Have a good one.
    BossMan

Dec 16, 2005, 07:36 AM
    Here is a link to what I was referring to.
    Gmail Drive

It allows you to use your Gmail account as a virtual drive on your internet connected computer :D

As Gmail is currently offering 2.6 Gig of storage this should be more than enough ;)
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2005, 07:40 AM
    Wow, too cool! I didn't know they had that!
    BossMan

Dec 16, 2005, 07:44 AM
    You really should try and keep up Rick ;)
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2005, 07:46 AM
    I'm an old dog who has a hard time keeping up with all the new tricks!

Dec 18, 2005, 09:41 PM
    First, I already have my gmail account but the problem is I can't attach more that 10MB just like in Yahoo but some say I may attach more than that but don't why I can't... But I'll try those links... hope ill find there what I'm looking for... thanxz guys... :)

Dec 18, 2005, 10:21 PM
    One question curlyben, if ever I install this gmail driver... if my computer reinstall windows or if the gmail driver is accedentally deleted, the files that I'd save there, will it be totally lost or its in my gmail account.. :confused:
    BossMan

Dec 18, 2005, 11:33 PM
    AS its online storage it doesn't matter as the files are stored on gmail.

Dec 19, 2005, 02:25 AM
    Oh guys... think you don't get it, what I mean is if there is a free online storage for my large files its about 700 MB to 1GB or more... I mean per file... I'm sorry if I didn't say it right... I don't mean that I'm looking for a 1GB over all storage, but more than... and I need a free storage that can attach file which is 700MB to 1GB in size... Ah guys the truth is I'm not really good in english in fact its my poorest subject in my school days :D, so please just try to understand me... OK :(

Thanxz!
    BossMan

Dec 19, 2005, 02:43 AM
    Right then if that's the case online storage is NOT the answer for you.
    The time it would take to upload a 700 meg file would be many HOURS!!

You would be a lot better off with either an external hard drive or a DVD burner.

External drives come in many sizes from 100 Gig up and a single DVD can hold nearly 5 Gig of data, neither option is particularly expensive.
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2005, 05:14 AM
    Yes, your upload time will be very long.

If you need to access it from different computers, and don't want to carry hardware (external drive) around with you, you're going to have to pay for it.

... or consider the external hard drive option. Nowadays they are very small.
    The one I use is 40GB and is the size of a pack of cigarettes... and does not need a power adapter.

Dec 19, 2005, 08:18 PM
    Hmm... is that so... all right then, but if ill burn it to dics is there any dics available with a large no. of bytes, I mean ordinary cd not dvd cause I don't have a dvd burnner... and why is it dvd has larger bytes than vcd... :confused:
    BossMan

Dec 19, 2005, 11:35 PM
    A normal CD holds about 700 Meg whereas a DVD holds 4.7 Gig, that's the way the technology works.

DVD burners are now coming down in price, so you should be able to pick one up for around $50.
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2005, 03:31 AM
    I think you'll be happier with a small hard drive than you would with a CD or DVD burner.

Here, for example, is a very dinky 40GB drive for $130:
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0214954

Jan 5, 2006, 01:58 AM
    Wow that's great I've seen that kind of hard drive but the difference is it doesn't have a cord or connector it is directly inserted to USB socket... do you know what it is and how much bytes it can contain... :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flash.exe at 100% CPU Storage! [ 4 Answers ]

Hey everyone, Does anyone else have this problem?? When I try to "test movie" or "export Flash movie" my computer jumps to 100% CPU Usage and then Flash crashes! :( I'm currently working on an animation at 20 frames per/sec and running a 1Ghz Pentium 3, 512 megs of ram. Shouldn't that be...

Using CD-RW for data storage [ 1 Answers ]

What do I need to do to use a CD-RW, out of its packing, to be able to save files to it, for transfer to another computer? I know that, in the old days of floppies, they needed to be formatted. Does the same thing apply to CD-RW's? If so, what are the steps I need to go through to do this? ...

Transfer from web site to online storage [ 4 Answers ]

Is there a way to transfer data, e.g. a file, from a web site directly to an online storage faciliity? In other words, I want to transfer the data without first downloading it to my hard drive. For example, say there's a file something.xyz located on a web site www.something.com. Instead of...

Red wine storage [ 14 Answers ]

Red wine. Some people after opening it store it for long periods. I have opened a bottle of wine but there is no way I am going to drink it all at once. Some places say it stays good in the fridge for only 3 or 5 days. Then I here it is better to serve it at room temperature. My questions, how long...

[Help] needed or will lose storage [ 3 Answers ]

In a few days I'm going to lose my storage :( just need help Im going to lose evevything.. :( can I find help?

View more questions Search