Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emm Lura Posts: 84, Reputation: 15

Dec 10, 2007, 02:15 PM
    Birth control, lamictal, and vistaril. I have questions about these
    Hi all who have not seen any of my other questions (I love this website, I am a very curious person ;) ) My name is Emily and I'm 20 years old. I suffer from bipolar disorder and high anxiety that results in regular panic attacks. And who knows what else is wrong with me. Ha ha just kidding. I like to make some humor out of my situation because I'd rather laugh about it than beat myself up over something I can't control.

Anyway, I was wondering about a few things. Is being on all these medications at the same time safe for me? I'm not on birth control yet but I'm going to get the Nuva ring (spell?) because I've heard that Lamictal causes birth defects and because I'm not quite ready to have a little one YET. I just don't want to over load my body with all types of different drugs that may be bad for me. The fact is though it would be bad for me if I STOPPED my medication. I'm afraid of myself when I have these attacks and these mood swings so it is better for me to stay on them.

Also, is vistaril a cold medicine? I know it is a type of antihistamine and that is in cold medicine. How will this help my anxiety? And is 25 mg a fairly small dose? I'm not sure and I don't doubt my doc at all. She is a very intelligent lady and her reccomdation of lamictal has helped me so much. I am just wondering if this will work for me.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks pals.

Emm
    polaris41 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2007, 07:41 PM
    Hello emm my name is becky and I am in the medica field and know of some of the medications that you are on and have some advice. The biggest thing that you need to do to make sure that the meds you are on are not doing any organ damage is to get blood tests at least every 3 months. You need to have complete metabolic panel done that tests the kidney and liver function and those are very important to keep an eye on, remember those organs are your body's filters.
    As far as the birth control I would stay with the nova ring or think about depo-provera, depo is a shot that you get every 3 months and is a very good contraceptive and in most women it keeps you from having a period.. I know I was on it for 4 years and loved it.
    I hope that this is helpful for you, I do go on this site a lot so if you have any other questions I will do my best to help out.
    Hope you have a merry christmas!
    Becky:)
    Emm Lura Posts: 84, Reputation: 15

Dec 11, 2007, 12:21 PM
    Well thank you very much Becky.
    I was actually on the shot for a while and instead of not having a period, I had it for 6 months straight. Ha ha.

Thank you though.
    I appreciate your answer though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Birth Control causes birth defects? [ 1 Answers ]

So I take Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and was reading some info about it and noticed that it said you should not take it if you are pregnant (obviously!) because it causes birth defects. So then I started wondering, what if you are taking it and for some reason it doesn't work and you end up pregnant (as...

Birth control [ 2 Answers ]

I just started birth control its going to be a month in 5 days and I'm on the inactive pills right now I had sex the third week I was on it without protection when am I suppose to get my period

Birth Control [ 10 Answers ]

Im 15 and have never had a pap smear I don't want to get one for a while either. I don't feel comfortable with someone I don't know doing that stuff to me. But.. Im thinking about havine sex with my boyfriend and I'm 100% sure nor he or I have a std and I want to go on birth control to be safe and...

Birth control and Plan B Questions Please help! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I just started to take Alesse-28, thirteen days ago, and I had unprotected sex on the 12 day, He did not ***** inside of me but I still took the extra precaution and called the clinic and I asked them if I was safe, they told me I wasn't. They advised me to take the Plan B pill to be extra...

View more questions Search