Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DrSeussFreak Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2005, 08:29 PM
    DCR-TRV330 (Can't Connect to PC)
    Hello, as you can tell by the title I have a Sony Digital8 Camcoder (DCR-TRV330). I am using ULEad MediaStudio8 and trying to transfer video from the camcorder to my PC. I read other threads here about this same camera, similar issue but a little different. I do turn it on in order (PC then Sony) but no software I have tried will register the device and allow me to capture the contents... Any ideas?:confused:
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2005, 03:27 AM
    Are you running Windows XP? Also (and this might need some input from another expert) - does the camera show in My Computer. I know that say a digital camera connected with a USB lead shows here. I'm assuming a camera connected with a firewire lead will do the same.

Dec 16, 2005, 06:53 AM
    Yes, I should have posted this info before

1) Windows XP Media Center 2005
    2) Firewire card is recognized
    3) USB works for memory card only (and does recognize)
    4) does not recognize firewire when inserted :(
    speedbag Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2005, 10:13 AM
    Firewire recognition problem with SP2 update of XP
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSeussFreak
    Yes, I should have posted this info before

1) Windows XP Media Center 2005
    2) Firewire card is recognized
    3) USB works for memory card only (and does recognize)
    4) does not recognize firewire when inserted :(
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I just found this on the Microsoft board. Since I had similar problems with the Sny trv330, I thought It might help:

SYMPTOMS
    After you update your computer to Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), the performance of your 1394a or 1394b FireWire devices may be greatly decreased. A digital camera that uses S400 speed is an example of such a device.

CAUSE
    This problem occurs if you connect a 1394a or 1394b FireWire device to a 1394b port. This problem occurs because Windows XP SP2 changes 1394b ports to S100 speed when you upgrade

Read more at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222

The article gives a registry fix if you have this problem, with a download repair. Here is the link to that download

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Of Course, DO NOT download and install anything you do not understand, or if you are not having the problem.

Hope it helps.

Dec 16, 2005, 10:30 AM
    Excellent, thanks for the help. I will take a look when I get home and let you know.

Dec 16, 2005, 08:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedbag
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I just found this on the Microsoft board. Since I had similiar problems with the Sny trv330, I thought It might help:

SYMPTOMS
    After you update your computer to Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), the performance of your 1394a or 1394b FireWire devices may be greatly decreased. A digital camera that uses S400 speed is an example of such a device.

CAUSE
    This problem occurs if you connect a 1394a or 1394b FireWire device to a 1394b port. This problem occurs because Windows XP SP2 changes 1394b ports to S100 speed when you upgrade

read more at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222

The article gives a registry fix if you have this problem, with a download repair. here is the link to that download

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Of Course, DO NOT download and install anything you do not understand, or if you are not having the problem.

hope it helps.
    I read the article, and downloaded the patch (good thing I have a genuine Windows Install).

Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft
    [KB885222.log]
    4.265: ================================================== ==============================
    4.265: 2005/12/16 21:41:14.638 (local)
    4.265: c:\bb8204125cd37a90f9536092\update\update.exe (version 6.1.22.4)
    4.281: DoInstallation: GetProcAddress(InitializeCustomizationDLL) Returned: 0x7f
    4.281: Hotfix started with following command line:
    4.328: CreateUserInterface: GetProcAddress for DefineInstallCustomUI failed: 0x7f
    4.359: DoInstallation: CustomizeCall Failed: 0xb7
    4.375: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.
    7.015: Message displayed to the user: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.
    7.015: User Input: OK
    7.015: KB885222 installation did not complete.
    8.031: Message displayed to the user: KB885222 installation did not complete.
    8.031: User Input: OK
    8.031: Update.exe extended error code = 0xb7
    8.031: Update.exe return code was masked to 0x643 for MSI custom action compliance.
    It is not that it has decreased speed and so on, it will NOT connect at all unless it has the USB cable (which limits the use to memory stick only).
    dmitri84 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2005, 05:09 PM
    I have DCR-TRV330 as well and I can't transfer video from the Hi8 cassette. The only thing I've tried is connecting USB to the PC then open My Computer -> E Drive where I found pictures and some mpegs which are data from my Sony 4Mb chip which I don't want.

I'm thinking you can't transfer data from cassette via USB maybe DV output(IEEE 1394) will work. Bad thing I don't have DV cable to test it.

Edit: going to buy DV cable today, will test it out and inform asap
    dmitri84 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2006, 03:42 PM
    Ok, so I bought the DV-I cable connected it and it worked. I loaded all my movies from the cassette using DV-NTSC option (20mbps stream). Quality was the same as I usually watched it on my TV. I wasn't really impressed with quality since it's an old camcorder where you get the dotty quality of all old camcorders. Ok now about the main problem with DV-I connection.

PROBLEM

Next morning I connected my camcorder and PC and didn't find my DV-I connection. I was experimenting and I found out the following and all whoever doing it should know these steps:

1) connect PC and camcorder
    2) turn on PC
    3) (IMPORTANT) turn on camcorder in CAPTURING mode

After you did the following steps PC should response to your camcorder and then you may switch to VCR mode to transfer all your videos from the cassette.

Hope it will work for you guys. Good Luck!
    ITretired Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2012, 06:44 PM
    Is the step 1 connection DVI to Firewire?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't connect [ 1 Answers ]

I can't seem to connect directly to my cable modem. I setup a wireless network and it was working fine but then I started having problems. I then decided to reset and reconfigure my router but when I tried to connect directly to my modem, it either didn't show the connection or it said that I have...

Not Being Able To Connect [ 1 Answers ]

Facing prob when I'm trying to connect web through mobile phone . Prob is a fax modem already there in the laptop. So when trying with datacable its showing error messege "this modem is used by another usser" Please make the solution fast. That I can logon through the mobile phone Thanks

Can't connect [ 1 Answers ]

I can't seem to connect directly to my cable modem. I setup a wireless network and it was working fine but then I started having problems. I then decided to reset and reconfigure my router but when I tried to connect directly to my modem, it either didn't show the connection or it said that I have...

Can't connect [ 5 Answers ]

Can't connect [ 2 Answers ]

View more questions Search