Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lrhall41 Posts: 123, Reputation: 6

Dec 10, 2007, 11:14 AM
    Liability on a "fraud check"
    This weekend I received this check in the mail telling me that I had won the Australian lottery. It is for $1950 and they are asking me to call them at a phone # to get more information. I tried calling the number several times and no one picks up or the message says they are not taking any more messages. My question is "What would happen if I deposit the check on my account and wait until it either clear or gets returned? " It might be a fraud check, and I have no intention on using the "$$$" until it gets resolved, but was wondering if the bank would charge me for deposting a fraud check. I won't be using the funds, since they are not really there, but was wondering if I would get penalized.
    Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 10, 2007, 11:19 AM
    Did you enter the lottery? If not then how could you win it. C'mon, you must have heard about these scams. Don't even bother trying to deposit it.

Dec 10, 2007, 11:28 AM
    I've heard of those scams, but how do they know me? Where do they get their information?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 10, 2007, 11:45 AM
    Loads of places. Mostly they grab your e-mail from postings you have made. Or they buy lists or anyone of a number of other ways.
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Dec 10, 2007, 01:56 PM
    Hello Irhall

Tear the check up!! It is a scam! Stop and ask yourself how could I have won if I did not enter.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2007, 01:58 PM
    As a merchant, our bank charges the company $15 for checks that are no good. I would imagine you would be charged for depositing a bad check as an individual as well.

You can't win something you didn't enter.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2007, 02:04 PM
    I know people who used to work in this field. They send out real checks, from a real account, the check will clear and the money will be put in your account but 3 weeks or a month later it will come back as NSF. Yes you will be charged a bad check fee for this.

They expect you to call and send them back most of this $1950.00 as a tax fee or processing fee to claim the main amount of several million... Of course once you send them the $1950 they stop answering the phone and change phone numbers, and then a month later you get an NSF fee plus your account is at -$1950.00 from the bad check.

Good thing you know it's a scam but avoid the NSF, it might be 15, 25 or more depending on your account, tear up the check and forget about it.

Dec 10, 2007, 02:30 PM
    Thanks for the great information. I will tear it up and forget about it!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

95 Honda Civic "Check Engine" Light [ 15 Answers ]

Hi. Was driving my 95 Honda Civic LX (115000 miles) to work this morning when the Check Engine light came on. Car was not overheating, no obvious problem, oil level fine. Ran all day with no further problem indications, but the Check Engine light stayed on. What is the possible problems?? Note...

"The Line: A relationship health-check for now and later" [ 5 Answers ]

Every relationship has that invisible, all-important, self-preserving boundary we all know as "The Line..." I see a lot of people on here in tough relationships MOVE the line when they are in love, or obsessed, or just tolerant, or scared, or bored... or... well, you get the idea. People are...

Honda accord 2000 6 cyl " the light "check" is on" [ 1 Answers ]

My honda accord 2000 6 cyl. With 101000k miles is was with the light "check" on. I took To a non-honda mechanic and he erased it. The computer said that the code is PO700, and the mechanic said that it needs to have the "transmission rebuilt", and the price ranges from $ 1500.00 - 1600.00. My...

Can not "copy", "paste" and "cut" ! [ 2 Answers ]

Last week, my laptop was infected by virus, I sent for repair. After that, I couldn't find "copy" and "cut", and"paste" is in grey colour ! What have to do to have them back ? Can someone help ? Thanks in advance !

1994 Civic - Check Engine "Orange" lamp and Engine revs when idling [ 1 Answers ]

Two questions realting to my Honda Civic ESI - 1994 model. 1) When I turn on the ignition key there is a Check Engine lamp displayed in Orange which is remaining On for progressively longer. Car not be started until this light disappears. Eventually after 3-5 seconds light turns off and engine...

View more questions Search