Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    turkeyne Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2007, 08:44 AM
    Cold house
    I have a two storied home. When I turn on the heat the first floor becomes hot and remains warm when the thermostat is switched off. The top floor however is warm when the thermostat is on but becomes cold quite quickly after the heat is turned off. I've checked the windows even sealing all seams with tape, the a/cs are covered from outside and inside, and still the problem.
    In the summer months upstairs is very hot while the 1 st. floor is comfortable.
    carolinaboy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2007, 08:58 AM
    Have you checked to see if the insulation in the attic is of the proper R- value? Depending of the part of the country you live in, it should be at least R-19, preferablly R-30.

Dec 10, 2007, 09:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy
    Have you checked to see if the insulation in the attic is of the proper R- value? Depending of the part of the country you live in, it should be at least R-19, preferablly R-30.
    I'm in NY. I kind of suspected it might be the insulation which probably wasn't changed or maintained since the house was built maybe 60 yrs ago.

Dec 10, 2007, 09:04 AM
    Also, you didn't say whether you have one system or one for each level? If you only have one that is a problem itself. Different levels have different heat loads in summer and in the winter you will have heat rising.

Dec 10, 2007, 09:06 AM
    One thermometer controls both floors.

Dec 10, 2007, 09:08 AM
    Is there any way to adjust this? Perhaps through the boiler mechanism or the thermostat?

Dec 10, 2007, 09:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by turkeyne
    I have a two storied home. When I turn on the heat the first floor becomes hot and remains warm when the thermostat is switched off. The top floor however is warm when the thermostat is on but becomes cold quite quickly after the heat is turned off. I've checked the windows even sealing all seams with tape, the a/cs are covered from outside and inside, and still the problem.
    In the summer months upstairs is very hot while the 1 st. floor is comfortable.
    I'm still not clear on whether you have a system for each floor, I need more info, it could be more than one thing causing your problem.

Dec 10, 2007, 09:26 AM
    There is one boiler servicing the entire building. Gas powered steam.

Dec 10, 2007, 09:32 AM
    Probably the best way to figure out what to do is contact an expert, ask if they give free estimates? I am in the A/C bus. In Florida, but all problems are similar. I think for a home that has one system an multiple levels, zoning control makes the most sense. That will give you control over each floor via a thermostat and zoning control board.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

House is cold even heat is on to 70 (thermostat) [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 story house and about 20 years old. I recently bought this house. I do not know so much about to maintain properly. I have a delime that, when I put the thermostat to 70, the downstairs always get cold but the upstairs get hot. As long as the hot air comes from room vent, it feels...

No cold water in part of house.. HELP!? [ 6 Answers ]

This past Wednesday, for some unknown reason, the cold water has stopped coming out of my kitchen faucet, (on 2nd floor) as well as no cold water in going to the washer (1st floor) or the outside spigot. There is still cold water in the bathrooms on all three floors of the house (built 1991) and...

When furnace off, wind blows cold air into house [ 5 Answers ]

Our rental house has two gas furnaces one for upstairs and one for downstairs. Last year, no problem, this year, when the furnaces are off and the wind blows, we get cold air blowing in. We live in El Paso and use swamp coolers in the summer. So every fall and spring, the furnace guys come...

No cold water in house [ 5 Answers ]

We only have warm/hot water coming from every faucet in the house. We had Mr. Plumber come out this time last year with the same problem and he said the pipes were crossed and he rerouted them. $500 later, it worked, but only for a year. So now I'm thinking that wasn't really the problem? My...

No Cold Water In House! Please Help! [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble with the cold water in my house. Everything was working fine until about a week ago and now every time you turn the cold water on it goes from cool to warm in 2 or 3 seconds. I have tried letting in run, testing all of the water faucets, washing machine, etc. in the house. I am...

View more questions Search