Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Questions2007 Posts: 127, Reputation: 26

Dec 10, 2007, 08:40 AM
    Work colleague relationship/dating?
    Fairly typical scenario in the holiday season this one!!

Work xmas party, everyone has lots of alcohol, good time. There is a new colleague there. She has only been at the office a couple of weeks. We get sat next to each other at the meal (50ish people), have a laugh, mild flirting, nothing major. It transpires she has a boyfriend but they don't live together. I am single.

We get very drunk. There is talk of everyone going to a nightclub. It somehow transpires it is just me and her. We end up getting off with each other, I end up back at hers, we don't sleep together though, I leave after a couple of hours.

I genuinely do like her, even though I have only known her 2 weeks. There are loads of sparks there but, she has a bloke AND we work together, so I have to be careful.

I knew things would be cool between us. I saw her this morning and she said, "bit drunk at the party weren't we" "These things happen, xmas party and all". Nothing more was said!

What do I do? I like her I think. She said on several occasions (albeit when drunk) how much she liked me and if she was single she would snap me up!
    mafiaangel180 Posts: 629, Reputation: 103

Dec 10, 2007, 10:24 AM
    My ex/co-worker just dumped me one month ago. And it sucks major balls when you still have to be reminded of their cologne on a near-daily basis. When you feel like you can't walk to the bathroom at a certain time because you might run into them. IT SUCKS.

I wouldn't even go there. It's not worth the ill feelings you have to face at work when it's all said and done. Seriously. No Contact really sucks when you run into them once a week.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 10, 2007, 10:51 AM
    You had a good drunken time, and now reality. You may work together, but don't know anything about her, and her flirting has your nose open, as your interested in the new girl. Be aware that workplace relationships are easy to get into, since you see each other every day, but are hell getting out of, and everyone knows your business, no matter how discreet. I think your old enough not to be a fool, who rushes in to fast without thinking long and hard about the consequenses.
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2007, 03:42 PM
    Single people feel that work is a natural place to meet new people. After all, you spend at least 40 hours a week there, with individuals of similar backgrounds and interests. Relationships with co-workers can be especially tempting because hard work doesn't leave much time for socializing.However, imagine you are having a relationship with the someon esitting across your cube, you two are in constant contact with one another day and night that will problly cause friction within the relationship. Everyone needs "alone time" to pursue hobbies or hang out with friends, and the lack thereof may cause relationships to self-destruct.

I personally don't agree with dating within the company, just my thought.
    Of course there are some good things about it , such as, you can carpool together?lol
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Dec 10, 2007, 06:34 PM
    I never had anything against work relationships until... There was a couple at my work that actually got married. They even had a baby together. He cheated on her with another girl at work. The wife found out. All three of them still work together! Could you imagine?! Very awkward for all three of them. However, every relationship is different. If you think this is one relationship worth pursuing whether or not you work with her than go for it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Preteen Relationship/dating [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is 12. She and this little boy at school have liked each other since 3rd grade. At the end of last year, he asked her to be his "girlfriend". Now she says they hang around each other every day between classes, but barely talk to one another. I assume this is typical for this age (she...

I hate dating! But I want a relationship [ 5 Answers ]

I cannot stand dating.. all of my longer lasting relationships were someone I had been friends with prior, or I met them at work. I signed up to this eharmony crap, and it gave me 4 people to choose from, and they all lived like 20 miles away. I just want to meet somebody local, but my new job...

View more questions Search