Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Demian35 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2007, 03:06 PM
    AGP Video Card running on PCI Bus 1?
    I was just wondering if anyone knows if it is normal to have your AGP Video Card showing up in Device Manager as running in PCI Bus 1? I have heard to update your motherboard chipset but nothing changed when I did.

I have a custom build Intel P4 3.0Ghz processor, ASUS P4P800 motherboard, 2GHz of RAM, a PNY NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS video card, and a SoundBlaster X-Fi Extreme PCI sound card.

I also would like to know if it is normal to have your AGP video card sharing an IRQ with the USB Universal Host Controller? Sound card is sharing an IRQ with another USB Universal Host Controller.

Thanks ahead of time for any response.
    chauncedog60 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2007, 06:00 AM
    I just went through the same questions building my P4, which is very similar to yours
    If you really want to know how it all works, then you can download the motherboard manual, and study the schematics, but in a nutshell, here's how it works:
    1) While based on the PCI local bus specification, AGP is independent of the PCI local bus.
    2) Advanced pci devices "share" the IRQ only in the respect to the fact that they are all multiply it into eight other "alias" IRQs.(Programmable interrupt request, or PIRQ signals). They all "share" the same IRQ, because they have in common the fact that they can utilize PIRQ multiplexing, which is why you could theoretically have up to 127 USB devices hooked up at once, all on "one" "IRQ"
    3) Contrarilly, "legacy" devices need their own "IRQ" because they don't have the advanced charactaristics to use multiplexing. That is why windows wouldn't report a "device conflict" If you check the "device connection by type" you will see memory addressing and fancy juggling by the various controllers, hubs, buzzers bells and whistles!
    4) I bet your machine works as well as mine, and if it works, then don't fix it!
    I hope this helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want a new video card [ 21 Answers ]

I don't know too much about video cards so I figured I would ask for some advice. I like to play a lot of games. I've been interested in a few games for PC only to find out that my video card isn't supported. (Example Black and White 2 won't work because my video card doesn't support pixel...

What is the PCI-E Video Card equivalent to this AGP Video Card? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm in a turmoil to either upgrade my AGP Video Card to another AGP or a PCI-E. Most of you will say upgrade a motherboard that has a PCI-E slot, but that means upgrading everything else including memory, video card, MAYBE CPU - and that could mean a whole lot because I don't want to buy a cheap...

Running video cable through an existing wall [ 6 Answers ]

2 questions: 1. I want to feed video cable into a wall so I can service several rooms through the attic. Is there any trick to getting the cable from the room, through a small hole, up through the insulation and out through a relatively small hole in the attic, or am I dreaming? 2. with new...

Video card [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, The problem is that I can't get anymore than 16 colors. I have purchased two different VGA card with cd holding the software (drivers). Here's my PC info please help Thanks .

Help with video card [ 1 Answers ]

I was given an older pc. I had to reformat and now I'm having problems with the display. From what I can see, my video card is a 3D-FX. How can I find which version and where can I find the drivers for it. Operating Win95.

View more questions Search