Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Lower Ball Joints Replacing
    :) I own a 1999 Honda Accord 6cyl with 103,000 miles. I went to the dealer for an oil change, and was told that I will need my front lower ball joints replaced at a cost of approx. $400 plus cost for wheel alignment. I called a mechanic in my neighborhood who replaced my timing belt, and he stated "why not replace the upper ball joints as well since he would have everything out." The charge was a little less, but he would be replacing the upper as well. I told him what the dealer stated about needing an alignment after replacing the lower b/joints, and he stated that was not necessary true. What would be your advice?

Thanks
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2007, 05:53 PM
    I would take it to a third mechanic and get a third opinion. Also if the car isn't pulling to the right or left and the tires are not wearing out fast or unevenly, or you aren't experiencing any type of front end problems they may all just be trying to make some money off you.
    Duane in Japan Posts: 282, Reputation: 8

Dec 9, 2007, 07:42 PM
    Getting an alignment should be an annual preventive maintenance in my opinion, especially if you live in Ohio and you cross a lot of railroad tracks.

It was a good suggestion to monitor your tire wear and rotate your tires every other oil change, this also means change your oil on a regular basis.
    jeannsvl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2009, 12:42 PM

What is the cost of replacing the right ball joint on a 2004 Mercury Sable with low miles?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2009, 12:46 PM

I drive a 2000 Ford Taurus, with 110,000 miles on it, and the ball joints are still fine. Why do you think your ball joint is bad?

My estimate would be $45 for the ball joint and $150 labor. The key to doing the job is dropping the subframe 1.5 inches on the right side. There is a lot that needs to be removed, in order to get to the steering knuckle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ball joints [ 3 Answers ]

What would an estimated cost of replacing lower ball joints on my 1998 Ford F150? I called a fairly reliable repair shop this morning and they gave me an estimate of approximately $365. This would include labor and the alignment. I looked at NAPA online and found the lower ball joints at a...

02 cavalier ball joints or steering? [ 2 Answers ]

My cavvy makes some noise in the front end that I can hear when I steer. Its not an awful lot of noise but it concerns me because I think it may be the ball joints. However, I had this problem last year and a grease job took it away. It returned again starting this winter and the last place I had...

Cost to replace ball joints [ 3 Answers ]

97 mercury AWD replace ball joints, what is the cost?

View more questions Search