Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2005, 07:55 PM
    Comment on NeedKarma's post
    I agree... I also love a good challenge!
    miki Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Dec 21, 2005, 08:36 AM
    Re
    I totally agree with the moderator. That's all I've been trying to say all along. We should all expose our views respectfully. No personal attacks and no sarcasm/criticism of particular views. We should take into account the effect that our words may have in other people's feelings, and reword our posts accordingly.

I apologize if any of my posts came across as aggressive. I didn't intend them in that way. Neither did I feel that I was engaging in a fight. A heated discussion maybe, but not a fight. I was just expressing my view on the issue of Tiyeka's posts.

I wish you guys (the moderators) had given your opinion earlier on, when we were almost wondering what are the rules and limitations of this forum when it comes to challenging/criticizing another person's view.

Anyway, let's start again on a better foot ;)

Miki
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2005, 08:52 AM
    That's what the majority in this thread have been trying to get at. We all agree really - just express things differently lol

Dec 21, 2005, 09:59 AM
    Re:
    Quote Originally Posted by CroCivic91
    I second that.

If i say i'm the strongest man on earth and you tell me to prove it, should i take that as an insult? If i say i can do something well, i will find most of the tests people put in front of me easy as a 1,2,3.
    It depends on the person and on the situation. What you may find logical may be perceived as offensive by another person. Besides, there are topics that are more sensitive, so to speak, and psychic phenomena is one of them.

It is one thing to ask someone to prove his/her strength, and another to ask someone to prove he/she is psychic. In the second case you're questioning the person's honorability. That's why you should be careful with the wording you use. You may ask for a demonstration of a skill, but testing a person's integrity is something else.

It is all in the approach. It is one thing to discuss and challenge particular opinions respectfully, and another to make fun/belittle every post that another person makes.

Many blessings to you and all the people who post here ;)

Miki
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Dec 21, 2005, 04:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by miki
    Besides, there are topics that are more sensitive, so to speak, and psychic phenomena is one of them.
    I believe there should be no sensitive topics in these days. I understand sex might have been a sensitive subject in the 16th century, but I think there should be no sensitive subjects today.

Quote Originally Posted by miki
    It is one thing to ask someone to prove his/her strength, and another to ask someone to prove he/she is psychic. In the second case you're questioning the person's honorability.
    I will never agree with what you just said. Of course, it's not the "same" to ask one question or another (technically). But that's not the point...

You said that "being psychic" is a skill just like any other skill. If one should get insulted if you ask them to prove their skill, then I should get insulted if you ask me to prove my strength. This is another reason why I find your posts somewhat contradictory. You are first saying "being psychic" is just another skill, and yet you are making a big deal out of this skill, and making the whole subject very sensitive.

Dec 22, 2005, 12:19 PM
    Re:
    Quote Originally Posted by CroCivic91
    I believe there should be no sensitive topics in these days. I understand sex might have been a sensitive subject in the 16th century, but i think there should be no sensitive subjects today.

I will never agree with what you just said. Of course, it's not the "same" to ask one question or another (technically). But that's not the point...

You said that "being psychic" is a skill just like any other skill. If one should get insulted if you ask them to prove their skill, then i should get insulted if you ask me to prove my strength. This is another reason why i find your posts somewhat contradictory. You are first saying "being psychic" is just another skill, and yet you are making a big deal out of this skill, and making the whole subject very sensitive.
    Hi CroCivic,

It all boils down to individual differences. We are all different. What may be trivial to you, may be sensitive to another person. There is more than one culture in the world today in which sex is a very sensitive topic.

I do think psychic abilities are a gift or skill like any other. However, challenging one kind of skill is not the same as challenging another kind. We all know that psychics have a bad reputation, so when you ask a psychic for a proof, the implication is that you're trying to find out if this person is a liar too. That is offensive, or at the very least it is rude.

I don't see anything wrong with asking a psychic to give a demonstration of his or her skills. Someone who has a gift should not feel uncomfortable about that if he/she is volunteering in this forum. If we ask in a polite way that gives the person the benefit of the doubt, we are more likely to get the answers that we're looking for.

What I object is the manner in which some of you have approached the psychics that have posted in this forum: Demanding proves, belittling their posts, questioning their honesty, etc I know that many people that call themselves psychics are liars, but that doesn't give us the right to treat every psychic like a liar. If you assume someone is a liar and ask the person to prove he or she is not a liar, you are treating him/her like a liar.

None of us likes to be pushed against the wall, or to be put in a testing situation. A test is stressful, regardless of whether you are good at what you do or not. Being tested is stressful for psychics and non-psychics, but in the case of psychics it is even more stressful because of the negative stereotype that is associated with the term "psychic".

Anyway, we can agree to disagree :). I would only recommend that we all try to be sensitive in the way we address others in this forum. I think many of us agree in that.

Happy holidays,

Miki

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thinking of leaving [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, to everyone here, I have read some the posts and answers and this site is great! Well, my post tonight is regarding my marriage.My husband and I have been married for 6 years with 3 children 14-5-2.Though we live a comfortable lifestyle, my marriage is not a good one... my husband is not home...

Leaving the state [ 6 Answers ]

Hi--considering moving to calif(other coast/far away) for a new start and hopefully gainful employment after having been divorced/seperated for 8 years. The kids are 11-13-17+18 and will undoubtly be dissapointed--how is best to break the news and do u think it is something I should even consider?...

Is my cat leaving her kittens? [ 10 Answers ]

I appologize for bothering you for this concern. A couple of days ago, I adopted a pregnant cat from the shelter (because they usually end up euthenizing them since nobody wants them) and she had 7 kittens yesterday from noon until 6:30. She's been really good about feeding them, but earlier...

Leaving Home [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had to have my 20-year old son get his own apt. I needed to open up a room for his older brother who was coming home from prison and had to stay with me. It is myself, my fiancé and 14-year old who live there and now my older son. But my 20-year old is angry about having to move. For...

View more questions Search