Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 15, 2005, 06:09 PM
    Meanies! :p
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 15, 2005, 07:21 PM
    It's one thing to test someone's beliefs and it's a completely different thing to belittle their beliefs and attempts to help others. I won't presume to speak for Tyieka but I would guess that the desire to leave is fueled more by NeedKarma's ridicule than by CroCivic's desire for proof.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2005, 04:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by crankiebabie
    Meanies! :p
    So they are allowed to say that they believe in something but we aren't allowed to say that we don't believe in something?
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2005, 04:53 AM
    There's a difference between saying you don't believe in something and "attacking" someone for their beliefs.

I'm not a religious person and don't believe in God (well, not 100% anyway). Doesn't mean I go round to every Christian I see asking them stupid questions about God and why there is so much cruelty in the world etc.

Everyone has a right to their own beliefs and those should be respected. Surely not respecting their beliefs would be violating the rules of this board (off I go to check... Hmmm... Well it is kind of)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2005, 05:00 AM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Good advice
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2005, 05:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    So they are allowed to say that they believe in something but we aren't allowed to say that we don't believe in something?
    You are missing the point entirely. There is nothing wrong with your opinions - you are entitled to have them and share them with all. But making someone feel really small is mean. Her gift is special & important to her - so you should not make her feel insignificant and stupid. That's what all those comments did, hence why she wanted to leave. Luckily we managed to to persuade her otherwise.

Just to add - I truly believe in her. She is assisting me with my missing cat "Cassie" and the area she described to me matches the very area opposite my street. I was looking there last night and all these cats came roaming round and were directing me to this one house. Plus my mums cat "Mitzi" ventured over to that area this morning sniffing like mad leading me to the same house & garden. No-one was home so we asked a neighbour who informed us the person living in that house has a habit of adopting cats for her own. Coincidence?? I think not.
    tyieka Posts: 34, Reputation: 6

Dec 16, 2005, 06:26 AM
    Your post meanies
    No one says you have to believe but when some one comes on here and alters messages meant for another and thinks that is funny then I sorry it is not, These messages are in answer to questions posed by people who want help or want to know about psychic energies or just want to understand.
    You can have whatever belief you like but do not try to condem others for theirs. Don@t dismiss or ridicule something you donot understand or know anything about, stick to what you know and not to what you think you know!
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2005, 06:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tyieka
    no one says you have to believe but when some one comes on here and alters messages meant for another and thinks that is funny then I sorry it is not, These messages are in answer to questions posed by people who want help or want to know about psychic energies or just want to understand.
    You can have whatever belief you like but do not try to condem others for theirs. Don@t dismiss or ridicule something you donot understand or know anything about, stick to what you know and not to what you think you know!
    Well said! Totally agree.
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2005, 06:42 AM
    ...but when some one comes on here and alters messages meant for another and thinks that is funny then I sorry it is not, ...
    I did not alter a message. It's called satire and is meant to show that the response is so generic that it can be applied in many circumstances.

Here is an explanation for you. CroCivic’s previous post in this thread also echoes my sentiments. The key is to look at the content of the answers objectively and not reading into it the answer you want to see. Maybe you can help me ‘understand’.

At no point did “the psychic” display any signs of truly psychic ability. When asked any questions he/she responds with reiterating content of the question (yes, the more you give her the more she can respond) and adding some generalities that can apply to most situations and events. (see: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showpo...4&postcount=12)

Another example: when asked about a missing cat the response from the psychic was along the lines of: Cats are funny. “I had a cat same age as yours. It died. I do not pick up anything about your cat at all.” Where is the psychic ability there? If the response was: “The energy is strong, your cat is on Plover Street, under a red car.”, and DJ H responded by saying “Yes, I found her there, thank you!” then we have a semblance of a gift there, no one can deny that. But we have yet to have seen any specific examples of this.

The gift that she does possess is more common, it’s a form of social engineering. The more information you provide the more they can spin that into their answer. Doing this on a discussion board with registered users is even less of a challenge because you can view all of the posts of people that ask questions – more info for the response! Hence the psychic completely bypassed the question that was asked about bearing children. The grandmother question was never answered. The date of birth request? Well you can use astrology information to help you get some variety in your generic information (“You enjoy the outdoors at times but will face some stressful situations in the near future, your faith will help you overcome it.”).

This social gift is good for entertainment purposes but not for real life issues. Remember: anyone can put anything in their profile they want but that does not make it so. I could easily describe myself in my profile as a Ferrari race director, billionaire, only date actresses, and an underwear model; I could propagate that in my posts here because that’s the allure of the internet.

The reason I mention all of this is that as well as being a technical person who likes to help others I also enjoy being an ombudsman of sorts trying to protect people from being lied to, scammed, or deceived.

Now I have not attacked you in this post. I’m not sure why you started a dramatic “I’m leaving” thread instead of just leaving but you probably were trying to demean me.

I look forward to you enlightening me.
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2005, 07:21 AM
    You are sceptical yes - but you have no proof to back up your answer; which leaves you with only an opinion of what you believe, not what is fact.

tyieka and I have been dealing with my missing cat through private emails - so you are clueless to know what has actually been said.

She does not know my area fullstop but was able to see something; as she described it I was slightly baffled. I mentioned one or two places down the road from where I live but she said she felt it was closer to me. I went out when I got home from work last night and found a garden that was a perfect match to what she had seen.

My other cats and neighbours cats were surrounding that area also and I could see they were all trying to tell me something. Although tyieka cannot be exact - she has put me on the right track. The cats in my area I believe are proof that she saw the very garden across the road from me. But that does mean you have to agree or that anyone else has to agree. But this is what I believe.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 16, 2005, 07:36 AM
    The adage that comes to mind after reading the previous posts here is:

"If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen!"

That may sound harsh, but it applies. I've been participating on boards like this for more than 20 years. Nothing has changed in that time. Some people have strong opinions and are not afraid to express them. Others have a malicious streak and the anonymity of the Net allows them an outlet they can't get elsewhere.

ANYONE choosing to participate on a site like this needs to understand this. They need to realize they will get attacked, flamed, abused, etc. Of course, they may also get lauded, complimented and praised. It all just goes with the territory.

That doesn't mean you should not object to the malicious or fight back against it. But if you can't deal with that type of reaction, then maybe you shouldn't participate.

Nor am I condoning or accepting such behavior, just pointing out that it's a fact of BBS life and one needs to deal with it or get out. You need a thick skin to participate on these sties, especially in a topic like Psychics.
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 16, 2005, 11:35 AM
    I will miss tyieka. Sometimes when I read certain posts I say to myself I wish tyieka was here to see this one.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2005, 01:01 PM
    Maybe we all need to be a little more tolerant of each other. I am highly skeptical of all the paranormal area. As a scientist, I am looking for objective proof. As a Christian, if I ever saw any, I would condemn it as the work of the devil as the Bible says. Note my absence on the Psychic forum.

I took my dog to a Christmas concert Tuesday. We are fixture at civic events in town. They mixed in some humor. I got a good laugh when they made fun of me for using my dog to help connect donations when we rang bells for the Salvation army. They also told a story that has been around.

A Russian Rabbi is visiting America. He goes out to a Chinese restaurant with a group. When the bill comes, there is a Christmas tree ornament for each. The group starts laughing when they realize it is made in India. Somebody notices the Rabbi is crying. They ask ''Are you offended by the Christmas tree ornament?'' He says ''No, where else but America would a Buddhist give a Jew a Christian symbol made by a Hindu?''.

This post does not mean the new, kinder, gentler Labman won't condemn an answer he has good reason to think could kill a dog. I mostly stick to areas I know something about.
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2005, 01:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by crankiebabie
    I will miss tyieka. Sometimes when I read certain posts I say to myself I wish tyieka was here to see this one.
    She's still here.
    tyieka Posts: 34, Reputation: 6

Dec 16, 2005, 01:42 PM
    You post
    Thank you for your support, I am staying on the board but personal replies will be done via the persons email rather than the board that way they can not be misinterpeted by some one who does not know about these things.
    Thank you again.
    God Bless
    Tyieka
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2005, 03:20 PM
    they can not be misinterpeted by some one who does not know about these things.

Tyieka
    I would appreciate it if you would stop slamming me at every opportunity.

Thank you.
    :)
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Dec 16, 2005, 05:23 PM
    Tyieka, don't take things so personally or seriously. The members are entitled to put their thoughts and opinions out there, whether you agree with them or not. When "opinion attack" happens to you, all you can do is look on the bright side. It's not good to get defensive and criticize people on their beliefs. You will be giving advice side by side with members every day on this board, so you don't want to start a flame war with them. I am for a healthy debate about ideas and options, it results in a more thorough study of better decisions and direction. Welcome to the board, I'm sure your psychic gift will be helpful to others.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2005, 06:35 PM
    they can not be misinterpeted by some one who does not know about these things.
    Tyieka

Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    I would appreciate it if you would stop slamming me at every opportunity.

Thank you.
    :)

HAHAHA

I think Tyieka seems to think it's a requirement and thinks that anyone who doesn't believe in tarot card reading is evil, or at least, is rude, obnoxious and pigheaded.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Dec 17, 2005, 05:21 AM
    Thankyou for your support, I am staying on the board but personal replies will be done via the persons email rather than the board that way they can not be misinterpeted by some one who does not know about these things.
    Funny... perhaps we should all answer questions we find in the threads on this forum through private messages, because I, too, should fear that someone who has never seen a car might missinterpret the answer I give on starting a Civic.

NeedKarma, aren't you afraid that someone who knows nothing about computers might missinterpret the answers you give about computer problems? Should this be a huge turn-around in the history of this board? Will we all start giving answers through private messages?

The only good thing it would do is make the rating system unneeded :D
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2005, 06:27 AM
    Misinterpretations
    Hi, tyieka,
    Human nature is such that when anything is said or typed;
    Some hear what they want to hear,
    Others hear what you are really saying,
    Still others hear what they think you are saying, and are wrong,
    And, others don't hear anything, cause they aren't listening.

You have done a great service to this site by asking/commenting on your original question... bringing out what really happens on any forum. There are usually as many different opinions on anything as there are people.
    Some Presidents of the United States have conferred with Psychics.
    Others don't believe at all, and sometimes will criticize your area of expertise.
    It's up to you to take it all in stride, and give the best answers you can to whoever asks them. That's why we are here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thinking of leaving [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, to everyone here, I have read some the posts and answers and this site is great! Well, my post tonight is regarding my marriage.My husband and I have been married for 6 years with 3 children 14-5-2.Though we live a comfortable lifestyle, my marriage is not a good one... my husband is not home...

Leaving the state [ 6 Answers ]

Hi--considering moving to calif(other coast/far away) for a new start and hopefully gainful employment after having been divorced/seperated for 8 years. The kids are 11-13-17+18 and will undoubtly be dissapointed--how is best to break the news and do u think it is something I should even consider?...

Is my cat leaving her kittens? [ 10 Answers ]

I appologize for bothering you for this concern. A couple of days ago, I adopted a pregnant cat from the shelter (because they usually end up euthenizing them since nobody wants them) and she had 7 kittens yesterday from noon until 6:30. She's been really good about feeding them, but earlier...

Leaving Home [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had to have my 20-year old son get his own apt. I needed to open up a room for his older brother who was coming home from prison and had to stay with me. It is myself, my fiancé and 14-year old who live there and now my older son. But my 20-year old is angry about having to move. For...

View more questions Search