Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stardust713 Posts: 334, Reputation: 65

Dec 10, 2007, 09:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zyi
    There is nothing wrong with having faith. But I don't see why anyone would waste their entire life worrying about what is gonna happen to them after they are dead. In my opinion when I'm dead I'm dead, end of story. I don't need something to believe in to survive. And I don't want to waste my life now worrying about things after my psyical body dies. After that is not this life anyways so why worry about it. It's just like the old saying what will be will be.
    You can have faith and believe in religion without spending your life worrying about what will happen to you. I certainly don't worry about it. I pretty much (believing in what I believe) know what's going to happen to me, and therefore, don't worry at all. I don't NEED to believe in anything, I just feel it's beneficial to me. And I feel I am in no way wasting my life. But you're entitled to your own beliefs, just realize, not everyone views religion in such a negative light as you do.

As for the government comments I'm not interested in discussing politics with this particular topic. They really having nothing to do with the these Books/ movies.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Dec 11, 2007, 03:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by suga_mel
    How can you compare The Golden Compass to any of those works. The Golden compass is MADE FOR CHILDREN. Children do have the right to be informed, and if there was appropriate texts about the abnormal and cruel side of human sexuality then my answer would be the same.
    So if I write a picture book for kids that teaches them how much fun sadomasochism is, and how some people like to engage in sex with corpses and kill and eat people for their gratification and that end of the spectrum isn't cool, you would approve its being placed in children's libraries where ten year olds can read it? Let me guess... you're not a parent? God (if you believe in Him/Her and of course referring to your personal conception of the Divine or to your own inner strength or that tree over there if you don't believe in a personal God) help us. :)

Vasily
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Dec 11, 2007, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stardust713
    You can have faith and believe in religion without spending your life worrying about what will happen to you. I certainly don't worry about it.
    Right on.

Many Jews are pious Jews but do not believe in an afterlife, for example. Most Buddhists do not believe in a God but many are devout in the practice of their religion.

For the record, I'm an Eastern Orthodox Christian and I don't worry much about the next life either... I have enough to do trying to live the right way here in this life. Not all Christians are constantly living in expectation of the End Times.

Vasily

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Golden Compass - New Movie [ 49 Answers ]

In early December a movie called "The Golden Compass" is being released in the US (it's under different titles in other countries, I believe). From what I understand there has been an uproar because this movie "promotes atheism" in some way. Apparently a lot of Christians are boycotting the movie...

Marine compass [ 1 Answers ]

What kind of oil in a compass

View more questions Search