Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    demonbrat711 Posts: 79, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2007, 04:55 PM
    Morkie puppy not eating enough, other questions?
    I just got a morkie puppy about 3 days ago... She has been eating some.. but I am not sure if it is enough he will be 3 months soon... I put warm water in his food to make it soft so he could chew it but he only takes a little and walks away.. and sometimes he doesn't eat for a long time and I get worried.He doesn't even finish a bowl of food in one day is that bad? I just wanted to know if this was normal or not.:confused:
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2007, 04:59 PM
    Some of this can still be adjustment to a new environment. If, by Monday, this has not changed for the better, please call your Vet and ask for his/her opinion. You may be required to bring your pup in for an exam.

Where did you get your puppy? Did you call the person(s) you bought the dog from? Does the dog have a clean bill of health - verifiable - from the previous owenr or breeder?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2007, 05:42 PM
    Demon, in addition to what shy is saying, are you feeding her the food she was eating before you got her and the softening of the food is what the previous person did? Consistency is key to getting a puppy adjusted to a new environment. The other question of course is, how much are you feeding her? It sounds like she is a small breed. They don't require much food. Check with your vet but 1/2 cup of chow a day should be more than sufficient, but I am not sure because I don't know what "morkie" is. I know a yorkie is tiny and doesn't eat much. If this gives you some level of comfort, the fact that she is eating a little bit is a very good sign. She won't starve. She is going through the typical adjustment period. Don't hover over her when she is eating. Put the food down and walk away. Dogs also pick up on our nervousness. If you are nervous because she is not eating, that will put her off her food. So, try to relax and if she doesn't eat within 15 minutes, pick up the dish and throw away the food since it will be soggy & stale later in day. Make sure she gets plenty of exercise to work up a good appetite and at the next feeding time, try again. Labman has a "sticky" at the top of the dog forum that will help you greatly as a new puppy owner. Chock full of great advice. Here is a link:https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...man-53153.html
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2007, 07:02 PM
    Your puppy has got be tiny, a maltese, yorkie mix... I believe.
    Get a dry measuring cup. Hopefully you are feeding it small or toy breed puppy food and go by the amount that the bag says.
    Measure it out in a measuring cup, don't just pour some in a bowl at random. Then you can get a better idea of how much it is eating. That will kind of give you an idea. For instance I just looked at my dog food bag is says a 1/3 cup is all a 3 lb dog needs in a day. Now mind you this is for an adult dog. I am just trying to give you an idea of how little, small dogs actually eat.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2007, 07:09 PM
    The one section of the sticky discusses dogs not eating. Yours really sounds like new home/offering it too much food. How big is a bowl full ? My 3 month old Lab gets just over 2 cups. Maltese and Yorkies are both going to be smaller than a Lab, and need less. In the section on dogs not eating there is a link to evaluating any dog and adjusting its food to reach ideal body condition.

Dec 10, 2007, 04:08 PM
    Morkie puppy questions?
    I have a few questions Maybe someone can help me. I just got a Morkie(Yorkie/Maltese puppy about 5 days ago.He will be 3 months December 27th. What I was wondering is Whenever I need to do something I put my puppy in his crate for a little while and I walk out of the room and he barks and cries for about 10 minutes why does he do this and how can I make it so he's OK with me leaving /walking out of the room for a little while,Also When I walk he's right there always fallowing me.. I find it very cute but just wondering why he does it.If anyone can answers these questions thatkyouuu(lol):)
    lyns_112 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2007, 04:14 PM
    I had a black lab that did the same thing, I got her to stop crying just with time, you just have to keep putting him/her in there and letting them cry and completely ignor them, if you talk to them or let them out when they cry they think crying is what gets them out, so they will keep doing it. They do it because there not used to being locked up like that, and would rather not be. Also they fallow you around the house because they want to be around you but you need to train it to be independent more, because my black lab developed separation Anxiety, whish is bad, so start triaining your dog to stay when you leave the room (after you trust them of course to be alone) and make them OK with being away from u. hope this helped thanks
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2007, 04:14 PM
    Sounds like he just wants attention or playtime or he just loves you and doesn't want you to go away. :) Many pets are attached to their owners. My pets (some of them) Will sit on the floor and whine at me until I pet them if they really want some attention. Make sure in his crate he has food and water and maybe a toy or two and he will feel a little better, but don't just cave to him all the time, you should be in control.
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2007, 06:10 PM
    Dogs are social animals. They want to be with their pack. So of course he stays with you. With getting him at 10 weeks, he may be highly conditioned to being with his litter. It is very important to be exposing him to everything you expect him to be comfortable around right now. Already much of what many behaviorists call the critical period if gone. Make sure he is seeing men, women, and little children. He also needs to be exposed to such terrors as vacuum cleaners. Many breeders do not bother to learn much about dogs' social needs. In their ignorance, often keeping the litter isolated until the puppies are too old to adjust well to new things. A cage in a pet store is bad too. Many puppies get off to a bad start.

Most experienced people don't leave a puppy alone in a crate with food and water. They do need toys. It might not hurt to put a little peanut butter in a Kong to quiet him when you leave him in the crate. I leave my puppies in the crate as little as possible when I am around. Sometimes you can't give a puppy the attention it requires. In that case, it is a good idea to crate it. Usually if you ignore it, it should quiet down before long. Whatever you do, never let it out while it is crying or barking.

There is more information you can use in the sticky starting at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802

Dec 10, 2007, 07:17 PM
    More morkie questions
    Is it okay to put my puppy in his crate when he it being bad... like when he is biting or not listening?
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2007, 07:37 PM
    In general, no. Sometimes the owner desperately needs a time out and it is the best thing to do. It is quite natural for puppies to bite, and teaching them not to takes a while. Young Labs, which I know best, and other puppies tend to very bad about biting. You see a litter of them, and all the ones that are awake are biting
    Another one or themselves. I am not even sure they realize that when they are
    Alone, if they quit biting, they would quit being bitten. At 3 to 4 months
    They are getting their adult teeth, and it seems they spend every waking
    Moment biting or chewing. One thing you can do at that stage is to knot and wet a piece of cloth. Then freeze it. The cooling will soothe the gums. Only let the puppy have it when you are there to watch it. I maintain a Lab's favorite chew toy is another Lab. Otherwise they settle for any person they can. They keep hoping to find one that won't yelp, jerk their hand away, and leave.

You just have to keep on correcting them, hundreds of times, not dozens.
    Provide sturdy, safe toys such as Kongs and Nylabones. Avoid things they can
    Chew pieces off and choke on them. Keep them away from electrical cords.
    Crates are essential for most young Labs and other dogs.

The pet stores are full of toys that many dogs will quickly chew up into
    Pieces they could choke on or cause intestinal blockages. If you are not
    There to watch, stick to sturdy stuff such as Nylabones and Kongs. Keep a
    Close eye on chew toys and quickly discard anything that is coming apart in
    Pieces. Rawhide is especially bad because it swells after being swallowed.
    I don't trust any of the consumable chews. The dogs just gnaw them down to a
    Dangerous size too quickly. These problems are the worst with, but not
    Limited to, large, aggressive chewers such as Labs.

The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on young dogs, try:

''Elevation for small puppies: Sit on the floor and gently put your hands around your pup's middle, below his front legs, and lift him up. He is facing you. Hold him for 15 seconds. Repeat until he no longer struggles. If he is past 10-12 weeks, lift his front feet off the ground, but don't pick him up.

Cradling for small puppies: Hold your puppy gently on his back, as you would cradle a small baby. If he struggles, hold him firmly until he quiets for 10-15 seconds. With larger pups, you can do this as your sit on the floor, with your pup between your legs.

Quiet lying down: Place your pup on the floor on his side, with all 4 legs pointing away from you. Use your hands on his neck/shoulder area and middle, to hold him in this position. When he is quiet, praise him. Lengthen the time that you keep him quietly in this position. When he accepts this position well, handle his paws and muzzle, while keeping him quiet.''

The quotes mean this isn't my original work. It is copied from my Puppy Raising Manual. I have long used these or minor variations of them, and they are very effective. You may want to give him a belly rub while he is on his back too. Helps bonding. There is a big difference between him rolling over and demanding a belly rub, and you choosing a time to roll him over and rub his belly. The latter cements your place as pack leader.

Dec 11, 2007, 12:27 AM
    More morkie questions.
    My morkie is going to be 3 months... I have to take her to get another shot in three weeks... now my question is... can I take him out of the house to some one else's house without him getting sick.
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2007, 05:38 AM
    It shouldn't be a problem a long as whoever you are visiting gets their dogs good vet care. Keeping a new puppy safe while getting it the socialization it needs is tough. I have it easier than most dog owners being allowed to take my puppies to many public places where there aren't other dogs. For the continuing dog socialization they need, I have the monthly meeting with other people raising puppies for the dog guide school. Last Saturday, Xanthe had a chance to play with a litter mate.

What you need to avoid are places such as public parks where there are many unknown dogs. Your own back yard can be bad if you have loose running dogs around. The dolts that let their dogs run loose, also fail to get them their shots. One sniff where a sick dog eliminated in the last 6 months is enough to pick up a life threatening infection. The smaller thepuppy, the less resources it has to fight parvo, etc.

I think I will merge your questions and keep your Morkie all together.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

If my puppy is eating good can the puppy go to the owner [ 3 Answers ]

My 6wk old puppy is eating puppy food and drinking water.are they ready to go to its owner

Puppy not eating [ 2 Answers ]

:( I have a 5 week old chiuahua puppy and he doesn't seem to be eating right, what should I do?

Morkie puppy issue [ 3 Answers ]

I have a morkie(maltese/yorkie mix) puppy that is almost 5 months old... Im not sure that he likes me very much.. I spend mostly all day with him.. when me and my sister are on the bed he constantly goes by her... if I say"teddy come" he just sits there... but if my sister says teddy come ghe runs...

Morkie puppy questions again! Lol [ 1 Answers ]

So I have somewhere to go this Sunday that I can not bring my almost(3) month old Morkie(yorkie/maltesepuppy... is it Ok if you leave him in a cage, with food and water? If yes... for how long Thanks

My morkie puppy [ 7 Answers ]

Is it Ok for my 2 almost 3 month old morkie to wear a collar around its neck with a name tag?

View more questions Search