Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    delly loves porty Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2007, 03:15 PM
    I'm 15 and want to go on the pill
    Hey, I am a 15 year old girl and want to start going on the pill.
    Am I aloud to go to the doctors on my own?
    Will they give me it?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 8, 2007, 03:19 PM
    It all depends on where you live. You can try your local health department. But remember that birth control is not 100% effective in preventing pregnancy.

At 15 you are not physically or emotionally ready to be a parent. The only thing that is 100% effective is abstinence.
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Dec 8, 2007, 03:20 PM
    They will, but why do you want to go on the pill?
    And yes, you can go to the doctor on your own.

I'm assuming you want to go on the pill for contraception reasons... just know that the pill is only 99% effective. You still can get pregnant on it, it has happened to many people.
    You are young, so be careful OK.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 8, 2007, 03:25 PM
    One thing you might want to remember about going to the doctor on your own, though... If you don't have an insurance card, you MAY have to pay out of pocket. If your doctor has a record of you, they may just have you pay the co-pay, but then your INSURANCE company ends up sending a statement to the insurance card holder (probably one of your parents) letting them know that you were at the doctor, though that statement doesn't usually state WHY you went in.

So... if you're just trying to hide the fact that you're having sex from your parents---this way isn't going to work completely.

Is there a particular reason you can't talk to your parents about what's going on with you, other than that "they just won't understand"?
    leti1980 Posts: 150, Reputation: 6

Dec 8, 2007, 03:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    It all depends on where you live. You can try your local health department. But remember that birth control is not 100% effective in preventing pregnancy.

At 15 you are not physically or emotionally ready to be a parent. The only thing that is 100% effective is abstinence.
    I agree with what j_9 is saying

Dec 8, 2007, 03:29 PM
    Not everyone has to pay for health care. How do you know she lives in a country that you have to have insurance to see the doctor?
    Expert

Dec 8, 2007, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mjl
    Not everyone has to pay for health care. How do you know she lives in a country that you have to have insurance to see the doctor?

You are absolutely correct. I made an assumption, and I apologize.

My advice is probably only good in the United States.

But... I still want to know why the OP doesn't or can't talk to her parents.

Dec 8, 2007, 03:46 PM
    I agree with synnen, your parents should know if you are on the pill in case of any side effects happen (although it is rare).
    clew Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Dec 8, 2007, 04:18 PM
    There are many side effects to being on the pill but I am more than sure that any qualified doctor will go over these issues with you. I went on the pill at 15, never got pregnant and never regretted it. I initially didn't tell my mother but did share the information with her shortly thereafter (I dated the same individual for four years thereafter).
    While the pill is not 100% effective, it is the most effective method of birth control according to statistics. I am assuming at 15 you are not ready to have children. If you choose to engage in sexual activity ~ birth control is quite effective at preventing teenage pregnancy. Only 1-3% of women get pregnant while on birth control and it is most often due to their own error. The pill needs to be taken at the same time everyday.
    I hope that you can find a way to safely discuss this with your parents. But if you can't, I hope that you make a decision that will make you feel safe.
    And remember ~ the pill will NOT protect you from std's. For example, 1 out of 4 women have HPV. If you are to engage in sexual activity, make sure that your partner has been tested for std's. Too many girls are shy and refuse to ask their partners for std testing. You MIGHT regret that later. If you are too shy to ask these kind of questions ~ you are more than likely NOT ready for sex. Good luck and wishing you the best.
    HumanSiv Posts: 24, Reputation: 4

Dec 8, 2007, 05:44 PM
    Provided where you live, yes the doctor should give you the pill. Yes you are allowed to go to the doctor alone because the doctor is bound by confidentuality so he cannot tell your parents. I am also 15 and am on the pill and I had no problem going to my doctor and getting the pill.:)
    delly loves porty Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2007, 09:23 AM
    My mum nos that I want on it but she wants me to wait till I'm 16.
    I have talked to her. But I want to be a little grown up kind of thing
    I want to go to the docs myself for thm instead of my mum being there all
    The time. I'm bit scared to go on my own though.

Dec 10, 2007, 02:14 PM
    Don't be scared. Wanting to go on the pill is nothing to be embarrassed about. The doctor will probably be very impressed that you are mature enough to ask for them unlike some other teens your age.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 10, 2007, 05:52 PM
    You're so young, why do you want to have sex at 15, is it because you want to or because the boy wants to? If it's the boy then having sex with him will be a very disappointing experience for you. I'm not saying you have to wait for marriage or even love but you at least have to want the experience and not do it because someone else wants you to. I am glad that you are being responsible and going on the pill, but also use a condom to help prevent std's (remember that nothing is 100% in preventing std's or pregnancy other than not having sex). Talk to a doctor or better yet an adult that you know and trust, also remember that once you take this step there's no taking it back. Good luck.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2007, 11:57 PM
    I have to somewhat agree with Altenweg. When I was 15, I'm pretty sure I wanted to screw anything that moved, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have stayed with any of them. If you genuinely want to have sex, there's nothing wrong with that. But I suggest you think about this for a long time. Nothing wrong with waiting.

If you do want to have sex, then please. Please. Please. The pill. The rubber. Do what you have to do to better your chances. Only on the pill, doesn't protect you against stds. Even with pill + rubber, not 100%. Pregnancies have happened with both.

Hope you think through it.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 12, 2007, 09:49 AM
    Don't beat yourself up, none of us were immune to boys, especially at 15, that's when it's hardest to resist. I didn't wait until love but I did wait until I was ready and it turned out to be a better experience than any of my friends had. The fact is that there's a lot of peer pressure on teens and it's sometimes hard to resist doing something that you really aren't ready for. I can't imagine a 15 year old being ready to take this step, all the 15 year olds I know don't have the sense God gave a goat. Dell loves Porty you've obviously thought this through and you are being very mature by going on the pill before you have sex. I'm also really glad that you talked to your mom about this, you obviously have a good relationship with her, which is very important. Just don't be in too big a rush to grow up, you're so young and you have a long life ahead of you, ton's of time to become the grown up you were meant to be, I just would hate for you to regret anything. Lots of luck.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 12, 2007, 09:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by delly loves porty
    my mum nos tht i want on it but she wants me to wait till im 16.
    i have talked to her. but i want to be a lil grown up kinda thing
    i want to go to the docs myself for thm instead of my mum being there all
    the time. im bit scared to go on my own tho.
    You want to be "lil grown up thing", but what you are tallking about is NOT grown up, in fact its rather immature. No one should engage in sexual intercourse unless they are physically, emotionally and financially prepared to have a child. I'm not saying to not be intimate (though you are still a little young for that), but there are ways to be intimate without engaging in intercourse.

You want to go to the doc on your own, but are scared to. That's not being grown up and it shows you aren't grown up.

Is your boyfriend pressuring you to have sex? If so, then he is not the one to give it up for. Try being more mature and grown up about this. That would mean waiting.
    littlemissconfused Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2007, 08:12 AM
    ScottGem stop giving crule advice your all assuming she wants to have sex ever thought she might want the birthcontrol for period control reasons. I am on birthcontrol to and went on it when I was FIFTEEN and I am not ashamed of that I am now sixteen almost seventeen with a steady boyfriend whom I love and have yes engaged in intercourse with delly I'm presuming that is your name just go with the flow if your ready for the pill then do it. If your ready and I mean truly ready for sex then do that to but be careful and use both the pill and a condom to you advantage as both are not a 100% effective I wish you the best of luck
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 19, 2007, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemissconfused
    ScottGem stop giving crule advice your all assuming she wants to have sex ever thought she might want the birthcontrol for period control reasons. I
    Yes, I took into account that she might want to go on the pill for period control reasons. But look at her choice of name and consider that she was asked why and never mentioned period control.

I am not giving "cruel" advice. Far from it, the advice I'm giving is to help her not make mistakes. In my opinion its YOU who are giving cruel advice. By telling her its OK to have sex if she thinks she's "truly ready". But I have yet to hear of a 15, 16 or even 17 yr old who is "truly ready" to have a child. You are only 16, you do not have the experience to give such advice. When you have truly grown up, you WILL see the value of the advice we have given.
    HumanSiv Posts: 24, Reputation: 4

Dec 19, 2007, 10:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Yes, I took into account that she might want to go on the pill for period control reasons. But look at her choice of name and consider that she was asked why and never mentioned period control.

I am not giving "cruel" advice. Far from it, the advice I'm giving is to help her not make mistakes. In my opinion its YOU who are giving cruel advice. By telling her its OK to have sex if she thinks she's "truly ready". But I have yet to hear of a 15, 16 or even 17 yr old who is "truly ready" to have a child. You are only 16, you do not have the experience to give such advice. When you have truly grown up, you WILL see the value of the advice we have given.
    What the h*ll... Who gave you the right to say who is and who isn't ready for sex... I am quite aware that its just your opinion but you don't have the right and it isn't your place to tell people at what age they should be having sex.. and who said anything about having a child?? Its sex! And she's asking a question about SAFE sex so what's your problem man... Try and be a little supportive instead of trying to scare her..

If she wants to and thinks she is ready to have sex then let her do it.. its not like any of you can stop her and it would be wrong to try.. and that's MY opinion.
    Expert

Dec 20, 2007, 05:56 AM
    Any sex, even WITH protection, can result in pregnancy. That is a FACT.

Therefore, we highly encourage anyone who is NOT ready for a child (and what 15 year old can REALLY financially support a child) to NOT have sex. It's as simple as that.

I personally got pregnant using 3 forms of birth control correctly.

Teenagers especially have the attitude of "It can't happen to ME" or "I'm smarter than that--I won't get pregnant or a disease, because we're in LOVE and if you're in LOVE it can't be WRONG!" To that I say "BULL".

There is no such thing as "safe" sex. There is "safer" sex, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to a 15 year old.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Red color pill reached but no period - Birth control Pill [ 11 Answers ]

Hi All, I am on Birth Control Pills (Lutera- 28 pack one) since past 4-5 months. My periods start when I reach the 4th week, i.e when the red color pills start. According to this, my red color pill dosage started yesterday (Sunday) but my periods did not. Am I worrying too much since its been...

I found a pill and it says M357 what kind of pill is it? [ 3 Answers ]

I found a pill and it says M357 what kind of pill is it?

Urgent !do I need to take another pack or Pill 72/mornin afta pill [ 10 Answers ]

Hi , Some experts out der let me know, If u make love at night like about 2 am, and have an pill 72 after getting up at 10.30 am,as soon as you take the pill if you happen to have sex once more(with in like 30 minutes from taking the pill) So twice having sex... PLEASE LET ME KNOW... if...

My mom has proplems with takeing pill like pain pill and stuff [ 6 Answers ]

I found this pill it is pink oval pill on one side it has a S on it the other side as numbers 8667 with a spilt line to.I would ask her but I don't want me not trusting her driving her back to them.I will trow the pill a way onces I find what it is so please help let me know if is is some kind of...

What pill is this? Yellow Oval Pill [ 2 Answers ]

The pill is a yellow and oval on one side it has 650 on the other side it is either O M or W O, What is this pill used for.

View more questions Search