Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lil miss vixen Posts: 49, Reputation: 0

Dec 13, 2005, 07:59 PM
    Vegetarian
    My problem is I'm a vegetarian. I want to be, and I am. Too bad my parents won't accept that. I don't eat meat. And I have absoutley no problem when other people do. I just don't like it. I've only reciently confronted my parents about my non meat eating choices. And they've gone balistic. My father grew up on a cattle farm and thinks there's absoutley no reason why met is bad. I've tried to explain to them that there aren't many old mcdonald farms left and everything is mass produced. And the animals killed are killed in a brutal way and I don't want to contribute to this. My dad barley looks at me I nthe eyes anymore. And my mom tries to make me feel bad about this. I told them it's my decision and they should respect it. But that's not working. dr.phil's way isn't helping much. Please help me :(
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Dec 13, 2005, 09:53 PM
    Being a vegetarian is your choice. Stick with it. But be sure to get all the nutrients you need. I've known people who have been eating meat all their lives and woke up one day to become a vegetarian. The problem was, they didn't know how to be a "healthy" vegetarian. Perhaps, your parents are worried about your well being. Anyway, good luck.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2005, 06:15 AM
    Eating
    Hi,
    You have the option of eating what you want. Many don't eat potatoes, breads, meats, and other types of foods.
    If that's your choice, then go for it. But, be careful when you are trying to "convert" others... they might get mad!
    Your parents obviously don't want to hear it, so I would "back off", do your own thing, and let them do and eat what they want.
    By the way, if it were proven that not eating meat would let you live to 120 years old, do you think the majority of Americans would stop eating meat?
    Probably not.
    Have you found any reliable studies anywhere that not eating meat will greatly expand your life in years?
    I am not questioning your decision to not eat meat, but merely trying to point out that others may not feel the same way you do. I do wish you the best, and if you want to "keep peace" in your family, then just eat what you want, and don't say anything else about what they eat. Eventually, they will start treating you as they always did, without the "looks".
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2005, 04:50 PM
    Who is bearing the extra expense and work for your diet? Could be part of your parents problem.

Dec 14, 2005, 07:17 PM
    Labman
    good comment. maybe, and to the others asking if i'm trying to convert my parents, and friends, i'm not i wouldn't care if they ate a cow in front of me.
    but i just don't like knowing that i'm eating it.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2005, 07:53 PM
    I'm not a vegetarian, but I do go through periods (usually a couple of weeks or more) when meat "grosses me out" and I just can't eat it. When this happens, I eat a lot of vegetables, fruit and rice until I "crave" meat again. I don't make a big deal out of it to anyone... I pick the food choices at home and in restaurants that I want to eat, without drawing attention to myself or inconveniencing anyone else. For example, I'm in one of my meat-hating phases right now, and I went to a traditional turkey Christmas dinner at someone's home. I chose 3 kinds of salads, mashed potatoes and stuffing, but didn't have any turkey. No one noticed, as I was "discreet" about it and didn't mention to anyone that I wasn't eating turkey. I've found that, if I don't announce to people what I'm eating or doing, most don't pay attention or notice at all. Most people are thinking about themselves the majority of the time! ;)

As you say, you aren't trying to convert your parents or annoy them, so not eating meat should be your choice. Maybe they are worried that you are not getting proper nutrition without the meat, and that's why they seem so angry. You could try to alleviate their fears / annoyance by showing them that you are eating healthy foods (like vegetables, legumes, etc.) and not junk like chips, candy, white bread, etc. You could also offer to help prepare meals at home, if you aren't doing that already. Good luck!
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2005, 08:53 PM
    Hello There,

There is nothing wrong with being a vegetarian. It is your choice. Whether your parents like it or not. They have no right to treat you any differently. You need to see a dietician, because many vegetarians if not eating the proper foods might not get enough nutrition and vitamins. Some people who do not get enough nutrients and vitamans can cause many problems including problems that effect your brain and moods. You need support for belief and way of eating and it does take a special diet in order to get the full nutrients and vitamins that your body needs. Please see a dietician. How old are you? Your family needs to know that it is your choice, but if they are the ones that buys the food and does all the shopping and cooking then it will be hard to support you unless you do the shopping with them and give them some ideas of things to get that will support your vegetarian beliefs also you could help them with recipes , etc...

Joe

Dec 15, 2005, 03:46 PM
    Dietician.
    I have an apointment with a dietician on Monday.
    My parents are starting to slowly accept my choice.
    They've asked me what I want to have instead of turkey
    On christmas, which is and improvement. Don't you think?
    :)
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2005, 05:13 PM
    I'm so glad things are turning out well with your parents. The dietition is a very good idea.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2005, 05:56 PM
    I think it is an awsome improvement. It sounds as if they are becoming more understanding. Thank you for letting us know how things are.

Joe

Dec 16, 2005, 07:20 PM
    :)
    Well, thank you for helping me out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is wine vegetarian? [ 3 Answers ]

Is wine vegetarian? I've never thought about it before but someone asked me today and now it's bugging me not knowing... :confused:

View more questions Search